Author Topic: Leahy, Houlihan, Fermoy - blank wall reached  (Read 5984 times)

Offline AnitaClaire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leahy, Houlihan, Fermoy - blank wall reached
« on: Thursday 29 August 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on Patrick Leahy, born Cork 1866 and Margaret Houlihan, born Tipperary 1869, married Fermoy 1885.  Had 8 children, 5 of whom survived: Margaret, b 1890, Mary Julia b 1893, Daniel 1895, Anne 1899 and my grandmother Ellen born 1906.
Patrick was a shoemaker and they lived in Pound lane, Fermoy (now known as Devlin Street) in both 1901 and 1911 censuses.
Have no other information, so any help would be much appreciated

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leahy, Houlihan, Fermoy - blank wall reached
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi AnitaClaire. ref the above what information are u hoping for? :)

Offline AnitaClaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 13 20:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should have been more forthcoming with what I wanted .... I want to find Patrick's parents and hopefully even Margaret's.  I have been searching through various sites for some years now with very little success.  Any help at all would be very much appreciated. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 August 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
do you have their fathers names from marriage certificate and place of marriage.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 August 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so if Patrick was born in 1866 his birth should have been registered- his birth certificate would list names of both parents & father's occupation (unless illegitimate)as well as exact date and place of birth. However, not all early births were registered. As well as that, ages on census are not always accurate so there may or may not be a birth registration.

What's listed for the name and occupation of Patrick's father on the 1885 marriage certificate? There are some extracted births online which list parents' names. See here for civil registration index as well-
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

For reference here is the link for 1911 census- Patrick age 44-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Fermoy_Urban/Pound_Lane/413480
However, the only Patrick Leahy in Pound Lane in 1901 is aged 60 years and not a shoemaker which doesn't fit-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Fermoy_Urban/Pound_Lane/1145048
He's been mis-transcribed as Teahy instead-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Fermoy_Urban/Pound_Lane/1145058
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AnitaClaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 August 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for reply. I do not have their marriage certificate.  The only information I have comes from my grandmother's birth certificate and the census of 1911 and 1901.  I found the entry for Teahy instead of Leahy, and this gave me their birth counties, but that is as far as I have got.  I do not know where they got married - Tipperary? Cork?  That is why I posted the blank wall bit.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 13 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for reply. I do not have their marriage certificate.  The only information I have comes from my grandmother's birth certificate and the census of 1911 and 1901.  I found the entry for Teahy instead of Leahy, and this gave me their birth counties, but that is as far as I have got.  I do not know where they got married - Tipperary? Cork?  That is why I posted the blank wall bit.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY4Z-G4F
There are matching marriage references for Patrick Leahy and Maggie Hoolihan in Fermoy, 1885.

Offline AnitaClaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 August 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you very much - have now ordered a marriage certificate.  Hopefully I might be able to get somewhere at last!

Offline LeahyFermoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 November 14 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi AnitaClaire, I was wondering if you had any luck with the marriage certificate you were ordering. I have only just found your post. Our Leahy family is said to be from Fermoy & I often look at the Leahy's recorded as living in Pound Lane & Patrick St. Our Leahy family left Cork at some point, as my greatgrandfather John Leahy [aka John Lee] was born in Port Talbot Wales. From 1871 he lived the rest of his life in India dying Isle of Wight 1906. I have had a lot of trouble identifying his father, also a John Leahy, as I don't know his wife's first name. I am now beginning to think that the family may have returned to Ireland, perhaps to Fermoy again. I am interested in your comments. Linda