Author Topic: Johanna O'Connell & John Lehane in Cahirbrank, Carriganimmy, Co. Cork  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Johanna O'Connell & John Lehane in Cahirbrank, Carriganimmy, Co. Cork
« on: Wednesday 15 June 05 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to locate any information on birthplaces and dates of birth for Johanna (nee Quill or Woods) O'Connell and John Lehane.

I understand that Johanna O'Connell died on 6 January 1919 and her second husband Jeremiah O'Connell died on 30 March 1918.  I do not know their date of marriage.

But it was my understanding her first husband, John Lehane, passed away when my great-grandmother, Maragert Lehane, was only 6.

I had a hard time in locating information on my great-grandmother's birthdate or birthplace due to the lack of specific dates or places. 

I would appreciate any assistance in locating a right parish church that will shed any light on this matter.

Or any helpful contact information.

Thanks,

Tees

Offline kellisto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna O'Connell & John Lehane in Cahirbrank, Carriganimmy, Co. Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
Tees

I actually live in Carriganima (although not for very long...!).

If your family are Roman Catholic, then the parish Carriganima falls in is Clondrohid.

If they were Anglican, the nearest (open) Church of Ireland is Kilmurry as St Colemans in Macroom closed in 1997.

Karl
McGLAULIN - Manchester/Salford 1850 to Present
BOWYER - Sale/Altrincham, Cheshire - 1820 to Present
ALLMARK - Chester & Manchester - 1841 to 1910
BARNETT - Bowdon/Altrincham, Cheshire - 1830 to 1900
BATTERSBY - Salford, Lancs - 1840 to 1890
BELL - Ancoats/Hulme/Manchester, Lancs - 1850 to 1920
BIRD - Galway, Ireland & Chorlton/Manchester, Lancs - 1830 to 1900
FLAHERTY - Ireland (poss Co Kerry) & Sale, Cheshire - 1830 to Present
HARDY - Hulme/Manchester, Lancs - 1835 to 1930
and more!

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl!

All of the mentioned persons are Roman Catholic. I would appreciate any contact information-I mean a postal address where I could write to this Parish Church.

It is wonderful to "talk" to someone who actually live in the area.

If you have time, do you think you can stop by the cemetery and try to locate the grave of my great-great grandmother Johanna O'Connell? Any information on her would be much appreciated as well!

I am not sure if we could get any information on my great-grandmother Margaret Lehane, a daughter of Johanna O'Connell because I am not sure if she was born in this area. But it won't hurt to find out, no?

Let's hope the Parish Church will do a trick!

Thanks for "contacting" me!

Gratefully yours,

Tees

Offline kellisto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi johanna

I'll find out who the parish priest is and how easy it is to access local church records.

Do you when your gg grandmother died? I'll take a trip to Macroom graveyard to see if I can see her grave there for you.

I'll also speak to our postmistress who has lived here all of her life to see if she might be able to shed any information for us.

Best wishes
Karl
McGLAULIN - Manchester/Salford 1850 to Present
BOWYER - Sale/Altrincham, Cheshire - 1820 to Present
ALLMARK - Chester & Manchester - 1841 to 1910
BARNETT - Bowdon/Altrincham, Cheshire - 1830 to 1900
BATTERSBY - Salford, Lancs - 1840 to 1890
BELL - Ancoats/Hulme/Manchester, Lancs - 1850 to 1920
BIRD - Galway, Ireland & Chorlton/Manchester, Lancs - 1830 to 1900
FLAHERTY - Ireland (poss Co Kerry) & Sale, Cheshire - 1830 to Present
HARDY - Hulme/Manchester, Lancs - 1835 to 1930
and more!

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 05 00:16 BST (UK) »

I'll find out who the parish priest is and how easy it is to access local church records.

That would be very nice. I would like to write to the parish priest as well. :) I have a lot of information but they need to be verified with solid data. That's why I wanted an address of the parish church so I can request certain information.

GRO in Dublin does not have information on my great-grandmother Margaret Lehane (Johanna's daughter).

Do you when your gg grandmother died? I'll take a trip to Macroom graveyard to see if I can see her grave there for you.

Johanna O'Connell died on 6th June 1919. She was born in 1850 as her memorial card stated her age to be 69. I believe she may be born in the same area.

I'll also speak to our postmistress who has lived here all of her life to see if she might be able to shed any information for us.

Any help would be good in this situation! Many thanks for your kindness! Looking forward to have some information.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl or Anyone who could answer,

I would like to know where exactly is Cahirbrane, Carriganimmy, Co. Cork? (west, south, or north Cork)

The reason for asking this question is that I would like to write to the register office to get some entries if they have them.

I have not heard from the priest despite the wee donation I enclosed with the letter requesting the information on my ancestors in four weeks.

I welcome any assistance in this matter of identifying which part of Cork this town or area is in.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 September 05 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm guessing it's Caherbirane near Macroom. See
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/

Kate