Author Topic: IRISH EDUCATION 1815 TO 1825  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IRISH EDUCATION 1815 TO 1825
« on: Saturday 21 September 13 04:23 BST (UK) »
My 3xG father Hugh Dougherty, was born about 1805/8 in Ireland. His enlistment papers show that he enlisted 21 may 1825 at Strabane in County Tyrone. He was aged 17 and gave his address as 'Parish of Killmacrennan in or near the Town of Letterkenny in the County of Donegal by Trade a labourer.' I am aware that this IS the address he gave when he enlisted and that he could have been born anywhere.

He died in NZ 27 Feb 1885 aged 80. D/C shows parents Peter and Margaret (nee McTaigue). He was a staunch catholic. He and his wife (Mary) raised four sons and two daughters.

His occupations during his life would best be described as lowly and unskilled, ie, labourer, army private. Yet, research shows that throughout his life he was quite articulate, literate and had very neat handwriting.  This shows some level of educational competence above what is presumed for the level of work he performed.

Therefore, how and where would he have been able to obtain such an education? Was some sort of education normal for children in Ireland at this time or were they used as child labour?

I raise these questions as I live in Australia and am at 'the brickwall' with my research into Hugh. Any information, either specific or general will help.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: IRISH EDUCATION 1815 TO 1825
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 September 13 06:01 BST (UK) »
paddles,

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Ireland_culture_amp_religion_1815ndash1870

I just googled this...

also in Aust
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 September 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Yonks.
Got some study to do tonight.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 September 13 06:16 BST (UK) »
paddles,

me too I have just googled also place name and education..quite a few have come up.

Yonks
W.A.
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 September 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
have a look on the donegal site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

click on donegal or go down the the basic search and type in: Dougherty or McTaigue

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 September 13 12:27 BST (UK) »
The knowledge of Hedge Row Schools was passed down in my Irish Catholic Family who immigrated to NZ 1865.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_school

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Phillipa Watt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: IRISH EDUCATION 1815 TO 1825/Hugh Dougherty Kilmacrennan Ireland
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
My daughter and I have just started looking through old family records and we came across your posts on this website. I am related to Hugh Dougherty (b. Kilmacrennan, County Donegal, Ireland) through  my grandfather (maternal).One of Hugh and Mary's daughters, Margaret Cecilia Dougherty, was born in Otahuhu, Auckland NZ on 17/4/1849. Aged 19, she married Richard King (born New Ross, County Wexford, Ireland 8/12/1843).One of their daughters, Ann King (b. Wanganui, NZ 1873) married William Hopkins in Hawera, NZ, 16/11/1904. They had 3 sons and 1 daughter. One of those sons, Allan Thomas Hopkins was my grandfather. He died in New Plymouth, NZ 1999.

In some notes I made in 1983 when talking to my grandfather, he mentioned 'Granny Dougherty' and 2 other names 'Agnes' and 'Dan' but unfortunately I have nothing to add to that!

As I say, I don't have new information to add to what you already have but was interested in making contact with other descendants of Hugh and Mary.

Phillipa (NZ)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 February 16 12:17 GMT (UK) »
find my past

http://findmypast.co.uk

Hugh Dougherty born 1808 Killmacrennan, army private, service no, 465, Manchester regiment 64rd and 96th foot.
W097 chelsea pensioners british army service records 1760-1913

document type discharge, attestation year 1825, may 21st age 17

Offline loisp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 20 05:23 BST (UK) »
Phillipa, Hi there.  My great grandmother on by fathers side was Margaret Josephine King, Ann's sister.
Hugh Dougherty and Richard King have kept me quite entertained, my two feisty Irishmen.
I have quite a bit of info for them if it helps you.
What I would like to know is how and when did Richard King go from Ireland to Australia? I know about getting from Aus to NZ
Cheers
atack (hampshire), mackett, pitt, roberts, davi(d)son(NBL),  charlton