Author Topic: BALFOUR help please?  (Read 11069 times)

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BALFOUR help please?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 October 13 09:27 BST (UK) »
Susan born c 1805 (married Francis Feltus), Alexander b c 1807 (married Margaret Hancock); Jane Feltus 1813 (married James Feltus)  ,William 1820 Galway,Ire & possibly Henry.

I don’t need more information on the Feltus side. . Some on the internet is incorrect.
And I have followed Alexander (jnr) side

The newspaper clipping was Australian newspaper.
"established the family in Ireland but not Scotland , am I correct?"-yes-then some went to Australia-have this information.

At least one of Susan & Francis grandchild was born in Glasgow. The newspaper clipping is the only clue to finding more information backwards on the Balfour side.
Kerri
Docking,Ettridge/Etheridge, Feltus (Ireland),Fuge,
Sisman/Sissman (Sawtry,Hunt,Eng),Stevens (Lochiel/Crystal Brook,SA) ,
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Families to South Australia

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 October 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
What year is the newspaper clipping?
So did Alexander Balfour born c. 1805 come to oz?
Where did this Alexander marry?

Am just trying to put pieces together and work out a search line of attack
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 October 13 11:36 BST (UK) »
Ok
Have found Alexander's marriage to Margaret Hancock 1845 Galway.  HIS father is listed as Alexander Balfour, a yeoman

So we seem to have a Galway connection going on here. ..... But much later than I expected. Alex the younger is an in married bachelor.
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 October 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
Newspaper clipping 1906. Alexander Balfour b c 1807 IRE married Margaret Hancock in St Nicholas,Galway,Co Galway,IRE 1845 -his sister Susan Feltus was a witness to marriage.

Living in Liverpool in 1861 & 1871 census.Mistranscribed as BELFORT in 1871 census. Same family as Alexander in both 1861 & 1871 census say he was Blind.

Have my tree on Ancestry as BETTS
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 October 13 12:02 BST (UK) »
Newspaper clipping 1906 in oz? What newspaper?

I can see susan marrying the feltus chap in 1825 in Galway so we have a Galway connection from at least 1825-1845

No Alexander balfours turning up in griffiths valuation as yet .... Anywhere

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 October 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
The Tumut Advocate and Farmers & Settlers' Adviser (NSW ) Tuesday 6 March 1906 p 2
Wedding Bells
FELTUS—LOWTHER.
On the 3rd instant, at Cootamundra, a quiet but pretty wedding was celebrated, the Rev. Canon Betts performing the nuptial ceremony. The contracting parties being Miss Lizzie Lowther, the youngest daughter of the late Robert Lowther, of Billipaloola, and Bombowlee Creek (whose brother was Hugh Cecil Lowther, Earl of Lons- dale, England), with Mr. A. B. Feltus, of Illabo, a cousin of the honorable A. J. Balfour, late Prime Minister of England. The bride was tastefully attired in grey silk voile, trimmed with ribbons and chiffon with hat en suite. The bride, before leaving Tumut, received a lot of costly and valuable presents and a number awaited her on her arrival at her own home in Illabo. After the marriage ceremony was over the happy couple left by train for Sydney and Tasmania where the honeymoon is to be spent. We wish them our warmest con- gratulations and every happiness

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 October 13 11:24 BST (UK) »
Have been stumbling around cyberspace....
I can see your dilemma/quandary
Alexander Balfour the elder is truly mysterious. No sign or clues in Ireland prior to his eldest daughter's marriage 1825 Galway.
So I moved to your original posted question regarding ancestry of Arthur Balfour, pm.  No doubt you have got to this point

http://www.thepeerage.com/p20151.htm#i201504

Being great grandfather of Arthur .... And are eyeing off the unnamed elder son as a possible Alexander Balfour .....therefore making the "cousin" connection (albeit a very very distant cousin).  Seems so me this is the only possible link ... And tenuous.  All other Balfour descendants from John and Ellen seem to be very well accounted for, either prominently political or academic.

Next place to search might be scotlandspeople, looking for Balfour births, parents john and Ellen, b. abt 1770-1785, possibly in fife area. And see if unnamed son comes up
Cocksie

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 October 13 12:16 BST (UK) »
Ancestry of Arthur and his family, according to burkes peerage
http://archive.org/stream/genealogicalhera01byuburk#page/70/mode/2up

Goes way back and sideways
No alexanders that I can see. Plus gives john's sons as Robert and James

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 October 13 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
That newspaper clipping is very intriguing Kerri.

I looked at the bride Lizzie Lowther whose father Robert Lowther is reported to be the brother of Henry Cecil Lowther 5th Earl of Lonsdale ( apparently he donated the original Lonsdale Belt boxing prize) :D.

According to Wiki*** (which is not always to be believed  :o) Hugh Cecil Lowther had 3 brothers and 2 sisters.
His brothers were St.George Henry Lowther 4th Earl of Lonsdale  1885 -1882
                          Hon. Charles Edwin Lowther  1859-1888
                          Lancelot Edward Lowther  6th Earl of Lonsdale 1867-1953
There is no mention of a Robert.  Unless Charles Edwin used the name Robert?! Henry Cecil Lowther succeeded his older brother to the title and when he too died childless the title moved to his younger brother Lancelot.

Do you think the young couple's families were being slightly economical with the truth or had the press jumped to conclusions?? It makes me wonder if there are connections :-\
Looby :)