Author Topic: NSW: Alexander John LUCKMAN , Born 1835, Bath, Somerset  (Read 6253 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW: Alexander John LUCKMAN , Born 1835, Bath, Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 October 13 02:17 BST (UK) »
HI

John Alexander Lackman ( may have changed name ?)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/87862823?searchTerm=lackman alexander&searchLimits=

Muss

I doubt this is your man

Birth in Victoria
LACKMANN John Alexander
Father Augustus Ferdi Mother Sarah RODGERS
At Digby   1864  Reg#2011

Marriage in WA
LACKMANN    John Alexander
GOFFEY    Catherine
District Kalgoorlie  Reg#178    1896

Possible death
Death
LACKMANN John A
1936  District Northam  Reg#120

Cando

Edit - Descendants of Augustus and Sarah were pioneer settlers, along with my grandparents, in my local district.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 October 13 02:38 BST (UK) »
Wife Catherine died in 1946 wife of A. LACKMANN.  Newspaper snips refer to John Alexander as "Alick".

Buried in the Wyalkatchem Cemetery
LACKMAN  Catherine. Wife of Alexander, mother of Florence and John. 24 May 1946 aged 74 years
LACKMANN  Alex  Aged 75 years

Not your Alexander John LUCKMAN.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 October 13 05:15 BST (UK) »
 :)

NSW SRO has his surname as SUCKMAN

::)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 October 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.

One other thought did occur that a lot of convicts made their way to NZ but this, too, turned out negative.

BAC3 ???

Offline trikidiki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 August 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
What would happen to an exile who had been 'absent from district' if he returned/was 'captured'?

Would he be sent to prison?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 August 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
What would happen to an exile who had been 'absent from district' if he returned/was 'captured'?

Would he be sent to prison?

Hi and welcome to RootsChat Triki,

When these people were transported, the colonies of Victoria and Queensland had not yet been hived off from the colony of New South Wales, so for the exile to be 'absent from district' would effectively mean absent from the three eastern seaboard colonies....

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-convict-records/index-to-convict-exiles/index-to-convict-exiles#about-the-index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkhurst_apprentices

As I have understood it, the exiles had already served part of their sentence in Britain, and were basically released from the remainder of their sentence on landing in the colonies.   I may well be wrong, but I believe any further convictions would have been colonial convictions, and therefore dealt with according to the relevant colonial law. 

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline trikidiki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 August 15 01:24 BST (UK) »
I got the impression that 'district' was much more localised than that. Otherwise, why would he have had to have his 'district' changed from Bathurst to Carcoar in 1850?

The original post was as a result of a query I made to the poster. Alexander is an ancestor of mine and I have been tracing him from his birth, through his parents death, his conviction, time in Parkhurst and his exile to Australia. He did serve a good deal of time in Parkhurst (1844-1849) and as has been pointed out only had a few months to serve.

I did contact the Cowra Family History Group who did a quick search but couldn't find any more information. Only that he had an unclaimed letter at the 'Post Office'. I guess I may pay for them to do a more thorough search and perhaps find out more about the letter. If it was from England I have a feeling it may help fill in a missing link if it still exists.

He did serve a good deal of time in Parkhurst (1844-1849) and as has been pointed out only had a few months to serve.

Unfortunately his sister didn't fair too well after their parent's deaths either and led a life of crime and impropriety.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 August 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12928961 SMH 26 July 1851 ….. absent from Carcoar …. Just weeks after the official announcements re Gold discoveries at Ophir.   Ophir is so very near to Carcoar, much easier to get to Ophir from Carcoar than from Sydney…..
Notice that two lads from the Randolph were missing …. John Alexander Luckman and Joseph Morris …. Perhaps they both caught Gold Fever and RUSHED off to the Gold Rushes …..

:) NSW SRO has his surname as SUCKMAN  ::)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 August 15 01:41 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62215988 17 May 1851 Bathurst Free Press .... Gold Fever ...

Add
Joseph MORRIS, an exile (originally a ten year sentence dating from 1846 !) .... found not guilty of murder .....  noticing there's no mention of his absconding back in April 1851 with Mr Luckman ....   
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12948485 SMH 29 Aug 1853

Cheers,  JM