Author Topic: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves  (Read 31637 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves
« Reply #45 on: Monday 14 October 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith, yes, that's a much better explanation.   

I had pulled out my own NSW mc. and was trying to think of how to explain ....

Eric,  I am not much good as a wordsmith ...  I am far too long winded .... but re my NSW mc ...  (C of E, several err many  ;D decades ago, and still married to same person  ::) ) .... I am currently looking at the copy that the Rev hands to the bride.  This copy includes the original signatures of the bride, the groom and our witnesses as well as the Rev's signature and very little else.   That was one of several documents we signed that day.   As I recall, we signed  at least two church registers and one civil register and the certificate.  I have photos of each set of signings...  ;D  Photographer was trigger happy that day  ;D

Now, as an aside, that actual certificate that I hold is no longer valid for IDENTIFICATION purposes.   It is now called a "ceremonial certificate".  It does NOT list the parental details, nor the ages of the bride or groom or even our respective statuses.   

Further aside .... So
When acquiring an Australian passport, if one is married, and is using one's spousal surname (politically correct stuffs here) one must have the NSW BDM issued certified copy of the marriage.   
And thus an additional aside
That certified copy is a TYPED UP document....  not quite the correct words .... it is a computer generated document, an does NOT include any signatures for comparsion.  We got married after 1952 so NSW BDM will NOT ever release any document with our original signatures on it. NSW BDM records went EDP in early 1980s.

However,  remember that like my own marriage, YOUR chap's was conducted by a minister of religion, so there is always the religious ceremony's record in the church/parish registers .  These do exist (as far as I know, all denominations have their own Church Laws which forbid the deliberate destruction of these sacred registers).  In my instance the parish registers do have our original signatures which of course match up with the ones on MY marriage cert.   

Sorry for the side tracking, but hopefully it will give you reason to hunt up Rev Paton's registers.

These could be located at a number of places.   The Presbyterian denominations joined up with the Methodists and others to become the Uniting Church.  Some congregations remained outside of this unification.

Archivists involved in preserving Church records are usually dedicated volunteers.  So you may need to be patient in waiting for replies, and you may need to offer to make a donation.   Of course, please do provide them with a good clear copy of the marriage cert that you have,  It may well be that if there is a number in the very first column that it is a significant number lining up with the local church register  ;D

Possible links:
Uniting Church Archives
 http://nsw.uca.org.au/church/archives.htm

Presbyterian Church Archives
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-NSW/2010-01/1264060133 

St Stephens Presbyterian Church in Phillip St Sydney
http://www.sydneyorgan.com/StStephens.html

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 14 October 13 08:36 BST (UK) »
I think you need to wait until Ros has got to the Divorce papers before proceeding much further.

OK I'm definitely going on wednesday  :)  (and have some other rootschatters records to look at too)

cheers,
   Ros

It is an interesting search - I hope there are some clues there  :)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 14 October 13 08:45 BST (UK) »
My goodness, you people really know a lot, thanks for all that information! I will try to find the original Presbyterian registers. According to one of those links, Phillip St Presbyterian became St Stephens Presbyterian in Macquarie St, then St Stephens Uniting, so the registers had to survive two changes, but I can hope.

I am glad you are enjoying this "interesting" search - I'm afraid my original enjoyment is now tinged with frustration. But I am getting more hopeful again!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 03:31 BST (UK) »
Eric, I've seen the posts on the other genealogical forum with some obviously very reliable input from UK.  I wonder if it's worth asking on R'chat's Lincolnshire Board for info re Ernest's origins which he consistently lists as "Lincoln'?

You can easily link this post with a new one on the Lincolnshire board - just another avenue to try!

At least the rest of us can just enjoy the challenge of this search which has a bit more emotional investment for you!  This Australia Board has some very competent and willing researcher with access to a variety of resources, and can often find a chink in a brick wall.  Genealogy smartens up the brain cells no end  ;D, although my husband refers to the pastime as a bit sad.  ::)  No dinner for him tonight!  ;)

Judith

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 07:57 BST (UK) »
Eric, I've seen the posts on the other genealogical forum with some obviously very reliable input from UK.  I wonder if it's worth asking on R'chat's Lincolnshire Board for info re Ernest's origins which he consistently lists as "Lincoln'?

You can easily link this post with a new one on the Lincolnshire board - just another avenue to try!

Thanks for this suggestion, it's certainly worth a try! Can you please just give me a little more direction. I can see the Lincolnshire board - do you mean to start another discussion there with a link to this one?

At least the rest of us can just enjoy the challenge of this search which has a bit more emotional investment for you!  This Australia Board has some very competent and willing researcher with access to a variety of resources, and can often find a chink in a brick wall.  Genealogy smartens up the brain cells no end  ;D, although my husband refers to the pastime as a bit sad.  ::)  No dinner for him tonight!  ;)

You need to be kind to us silly men sometimes!! :) I am actually in awe of how enthusiastic and helpful people here have been, and how much I have learnt. I hope my brick wall falls before this onslaught!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
If it were me I'd put up another thread on the Lincolnshire board asking for information regarding his possible birth in Lincolnshire, and the parents' names.  It can easily be linked to this thread.

I see a couple of possibles on FreeBMD
Births Jun 1882
Ernest Edward HARGRAVE,, reg Spalding Lincs, Vol 7a, p39

Can't see this one in 1891 census in UK.

This next one is a bit late and wrong name on FreeBMD.  Of course, he may have made up all of his name for all we know!

Births Sep 1884
Ernest HARGREAVES    reg at Glanford Briggs. Vol 7a, p737

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 15:16 BST (UK) »
1911 Census CANADA:

Ernest HARGRAVES born ENGLAND Sept 1882, age 28yrs, Single, Occupation - Soldier.

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 21:39 BST (UK) »
Have been reading this post with interest, have you looked at the two witnesses as Ernest's first marriage, Alice Stokes and William Stephen Baker (looks like Baker) - do these names ring any bells?

Deb

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
If it were me I'd put up another thread on the Lincolnshire board asking for information regarding his possible birth in Lincolnshire, and the parents' names.  It can easily be linked to this thread.
I have done that now, so we'll see if I get any new info.

I see a couple of possibles on FreeBMD
There are quite a few Ernest Hargraves, but I found none that (1) had McQuillan as middle name, (2) had Francis H and Mary McQ as parents, (3) lived in Lincoln (or Linton) and (4) migrated to Australia about 1899. Obviously if he has changed his name, not all of these may be true, but I couldn't identify him without several of them at least.