Author Topic: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves  (Read 31481 times)

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 24 September 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,
Long time,no hear! I had to re read all the posts to refresh my memory and I can understand why Ernest's parentage is still a conundrum for you. Like you, I've also had my DNA tested since you last posted way back....mine through ancestry.com. Is it possible for you to reveal the number of centimorgans for all those tested who seem to share a relationship with you linking you via Ernest to Francis and Mary eg the centimorgans shared with the descendant of Mary's sister (and the relationship of that person to Mary's sister), the centimorgans shared with the descendant of Francis and Mary (as well as their relationship to Francis and Mary). Might just help to shine some light on the situation.
Deb

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Sunday 24 September 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Nice to hear from you again. Yes I went back over the whole discussion too, just to remind myself. It certainly was a very interesting roller coaster ride. Everyone was so helpful and I gained a lot from it all. In the intervening period, I have been trying to use the DNA information, with only small gains until recently when I made a really excellent connection.

Here are the characters in this little DNA drama (some have tested with FTDNA, some with Ancestry, and I have tested with both):

On my side there are me, my maternal cousin and my maternal (half) aunt (yes the aunt I found via this forum agreed to test!). Ernest is my aunt's father by his second marriage, and the grandfather of my cousin and I via his first marriage.

On the McQuillan side there are Francis & Mary's grandson and Mary's sister's Great grandson.

Here are the total cM, all taken from Gedmatch.

GrandsonGreat Grandson
Me3520 (see note)
Cousin45734
Aunt119760

Note: I have several small segments in common with the Great Grandson, but the largest one is 4.9, which is below the threshold.

The key is the 1197 between my aunt and Francis & Mary's Grandson. This must mean cousins or close to that. I have looked at all the relationships on the Blaine Bettinger chart, including half relatives and doubles (where cousins marry or two brothers marry two sisters). I think I can summarise it this way:

Ernest's parents must be both Francis or his sibling and Mary or her sibling. Anything less than this just won't give that 1197 cM.

I only know of one possible sibling for Francis (he came out on the ship with William Hargrave, 2 years older than him) while Mary had 3 brothers and 4 sisters.

So that's what I have. Any comments will be welcome.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 24 September 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
There may have been another brother named Edward?  Did you definitely establish that William was a brother?

Death

HARGRAVES, Edwd

Father: Robt HARGRAVES
Mother: Bridt (Unknown)
Place of death: Ballt H [Ballarat Hospital]
Age 68

"....late of Ballarat, formerly of Clunes aged 70 years".

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/216377399

Debra  :)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra, welcome back to the never-ending discussion! (Hopefully I will resolve it one day!)

That is a very interesting find, and in the right part of Victoria. I have searched Trove but not come across that, nor have I found it in Vic BDM and Ancestry, but I may not have looked for the right names.

And no, I haven't yet been able to establish William was his brother, could have been his cousin. This is a very useful lead. I will check it out, thank you so much.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Monday 25 September 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
..... though, curiously, Francis' will wasn't granted probate until 1934, 32 years later.

Francis HARGRAVE. Date of grant: 20 Jul 1934; Date of death: 06 Jan 1902; Occupation: Ex Senior Constable; Residence: Bunyip.

Looking at electoral rolls I think that Francis' wife Mary and his brother Edward are at Bunyip in 1903 and 1906.  Mary dies in 1909, Edward goes to the Ballarat Benevolent Asylum and dies there in 1910.

I do not see any obvious marriage or children for Edward.

Debra  :)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Monday 25 September 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra, I have been digging around a little today, finding out a little, but not much so far. Thanks so much for taking an interest.

Yes, I still don't know why probate took so long. He had no will, but still, 32 years is a long time.

And yes, Francis and Mary did go to live in Bunyip, but I thought it was their son Edward John (aged about 30) who was at Bunyip with them. Do you have anything to suggest it was Francis' brother (aged about 65)?

The death notice says Ballarat Hospital. What is the story with the Benevolent Asylum? Does this suggest he was poor, sick or mentally ill? (It also says "late of Clunes", which also suggests he was not at Bunyip.)

I too have found no family for Edward. The very impersonal wording of the death notice in the newspaper that you found suggests there may have been no family. I also haven't been able to find his ship travel information (unless he is the Edward McQuillan how travelled from Liverpool to Melbourne in 1857 when he was only about 15).

Thanks again for your information. Every little bit helps.

PS I found records of the Benevolent Society Asylum, and Edward Hargraves/Hargreaves is listed three times, with the correct parents listed twice. On one of the listings he is said to be a "wanderer" (presumably homeless, a hobo or swaggie) and on another from Clunes. I'm not sure yet why three entries, but I will follow up. So you have given me some valuable information there, thanks.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Monday 25 September 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Debra, that info on the Benevolent Society was a goldmine!

I found the records online, Edward was admitted three times, in 1904 and twice in 1906. The last time he stayed there until sent to the hospital in August 1910 and he died in September. He was listed as old and infirm.

He was the right Edward as his parents were Robert and Bridget. It says he came to the colony in 1890, and he was single with no children.

But if "colony" means Australia, not just Victoria, then he couldn't have been Ernest's father, as Ernest was born about 1879. So great information, but it looks like he's not the one I want after all. I'll try to confirm when he arrived by ship, and that should settle it.

Thanks again.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
At last!!!
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra, Deb, and others who have helped,

The mystery is finally solved, and so easily in the end. My grandfather Ernest was Edward Hargrave, 3rd child of Francis & Mary, and he changed his name about 1910.

We discussed this possibility way back. I said in reply #10:

"The only one who could possibly have changed his name to Ernest was Edward John, born 1875, and whose last record I could find was before the 1913 wedding, in 1909, when he is listed on the electoral rolls as a farmer. It isn't impossible that Edward John changed his name to Ernest McQuillan, gave up farming for cooking and dropped his age 5 years, then ran away with my grandmother to NSW, but I can't see any way to test that."

You may recall, Deb, that in #22 you found an Edward John Hargrave who enlisted, and was wounded, in WW1, and suggested this might have been "my" Edward, and I agreed. And therefore he couldn't have been Ernest, who didn't go to war.

But I was careless, and when I re-checked this identification, I found several reasons why "soldier Edward" couldn't have been "my" Edward:
  • they were similar ages, but soldier Edward was 1 year older;
  • they both were born in western Victoria, but soldier Edward was born in Maryborough whereas my Edward was born in Stawell;
  • soldier Edward was CofE and my Edward was RC.
I can't believe now that I didn't read the documentation carefully enough to pick those things up, but I'm glad I didn't, because that meant the discussion on this thread continued and that meant I found out about my Aunt and obtained some critical information.

So now the evidence:

1. Ernest said his parents were Francis Hargrave & Mary McQuillan, and this is the only couple by this name I have found. He changed several details (birth place and date, Francis' occupation) but they are just red herrings.

2. The recent DNA information I outlined before indicates quite strongly that Ernest was the child of Francis & Mary. Some other combinations of the Hargraves and McQuillans are possible, but socially unlikely.

3. There are birth records for 9 children of Francis & Mary, and the same children are recorded on their death documentation. Ernest is not among them, but Edward is. The births are regularly spaced, and it seems unlikely that another child was born and not recorded. Thus Ernest may have been one of these children.

4. The other 3 boys' lives can be traced and they are clearly not Ernest. But Edward can be traced only until 1909. He is on the 1903 and 1906 electoral roles at Bunyip southeast of Melbourne with his mother Mary (after Francis died in 1902) and on his own on the 1909 roll (Mary died in 1909). But I can find nothing after that. The first I have certainly for Ernest is his marriage in 1913. So the two sets of information fit together.

(He is possibly on the electoral roll in Melbourne in 1912 - name is Ernest Hargreaves, different spelling, but he is listed as a cook, which was his later occupation. But there are 2 other Ernest Hargreaves around at the time, so this isn't certain.)

5. My aunt, who I found via this forum, told me Ernest's birthday was 15 August. And when I purchased Edward's birth documentation this morning, that was his birthday.

So the DNA, the birthday and the paper records all point to Edward leaving the Bunyip farm after his mother died, changing his name to Ernest (but keeping the same initial), becoming a cook and lowering his age, by 4 years at his first wedding and by 7 years at his second wedding (but keeping the same birthday).

I think that evidence is enough.

Thanks everyone for help over more than 3 years. I couldn't have done it without this forum.

Now I have one last question. Should I show him on my family tree under his birth name or the name he used for the second half of his life?

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there - and congratulations on your success. My wife's great grandmother's second husband changed his name from "Alonzo" to "Alfred" when he moved to New Zealand from Australia - I have him in my tree as Alonzo, with Alfred in brackets.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,