Author Topic: Tracing Thomas Halberts Ancestry  (Read 20496 times)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Thomas Halberts Ancestry
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 October 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1986340

Hi just a v quick reply coz I have to unplug but there are now quite a few Dur Nbl probate records available on family search - this is quite recent. Link above and scroll down to the list of unindexed records. Use the refs you have from the university site to navigate your way around. I saw a post somewhere that recommended using F5 key I think it was - the find function anyway - once you are in a doc.

If you cannot see the birthdate on the image the researcher sent you then this indicates that either they just sent you a copy of the Bishop's Transcript which is available for free on www.familysearch.org , and which does not prove that the indexed entry with the 1806 birthdate in family search is correct, or alternatively it is indeed the parish record and the 1806 date is a mistake. I suspect the researcher sent you the Bishop's Transcript because that is what would be easiest for them, but it is lazy. Either way I think it is important to check the actual parish record now ( maybe ask for a look up?).
Got to go. This problem is addictive!

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Ive got both images but the one with the date of birth is the one I cant make out. I dont think I can post them on here?
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 October 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Definitely more than a coincidence that there are so many children with the Potts name in later generations so that William Halbert and Alison/Alice Potts must be part of the family line.

I just found this on ancestry John Potts married to Mary Halbert present at the baptism of thier daughter Alice Potts in 1799 at All Saints. Pure coincidence?

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 October 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Ailsa for downlaoding the Will of William Halbert who died in 1804. He was married to Alice.

He is a Woollen Draper and ran the business William Halbert and Son

He names his living children

John
William
Joseph
George
Elizabeth
Alice
Isabella

Sadly theres no Thomas and I cant find a baptism for John but have seen the baptisms of the other children.

In 1804 William left his business to his son George and wife Alice and within two years they had run it into the ground. I say its profitable as William left hundreds of pounds to each of his children and his wife.

Also attached is the The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and ..., Volume 4 for Newcastle upon Tyne - it looks like the Halbets were well into selling clothes.

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 12 October 14 02:17 BST (UK) »
I now have a copy (Thanks Ailsa) of the marriage of William Halbert and Alison Potts in Kelso - 'both of this parish'

Witnesses Adam Telfer and John Archison

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 October 14 04:55 BST (UK) »
Thomas Halbert birth documents attached. I cant see the birth date but no doubt others will have trained thier eyes to see these dates.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 October 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks v much for posting the extract from the parish register as well as the extract from the BTs. I must apologise for doubting your researcher  :-[

Thomas Halbert birth documents attached. I cant see the birth date but no doubt others will have trained thier eyes to see these dates.

I am afraid it is just a dark blur to me as well.

Great news re the will & the marriage - good to check the marriage out just in case there was something useful there.

I don't have much of practical use today, but did come across this somewhat entertaining article re James Halbert. Probably the same James Halbert as the one who ended up in Australia given his choice of alias.

"On Saturday last, Mr James Halbert, landlord of the White House public house, Pilgrim St in this town, suddenly decamped leaving his creditors minus a considerable sum…Halbert had gone to Liverpool to embark for Australia…[the police] arrived at Liverpool and proceeded to the Great Britain steamer where they discovered him on board…"

[He had bad luck - the steamer had developed a fault after setting off which delayed it]

"Halbert had entered himself amongst the passengers as James Charlton. He was accordingly  brought to this town on Monday and safely lodged in gaol awaiting the due course of law.

"It appears that the plan for his flight had been well matured by Halbert, as, previous to his departure by the Saturday night’s express train, he sold every piece of furniture in his house. He, however, left a short supply of ale and spirits with which several of his friends, after he left, made too free, some of them afterwards having to be conveyed to the station house on barrows by the police, drunk and insensible. Hence arose the rumour of his departure."

Newcastle Courant, Friday 5 May 1854

here are some more marriages that will fit in somewhere, just in case you do not have them:

Mary Halbert & Richard Ord 26 Oct 1825
St Paul’s Jarrow

8 Jan 1823 Sarah Halbert married William Lee, Newcastle, All Saints

Alice Halbert of this parish & Edward Aikine Davidson of the Chapelry of St John married 16 May 1804, St Nicholas, NuT

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 October 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
The Liberation of Mr Halbert - We alluded last week to the sudden departure from this town and capture of Mr James Halbert of the White House. Since then it is stated that after settling with his chief creditors he was liberated from goal and departed once more to raise his falling fortunes at the diggings in Australia.
Newcastle Courant 12 May 1854

[the gold rush was in full swing of course & Kingower was a gold rush town for a couple of years].

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 October 14 07:07 BST (UK) »
Have corrected first article re James Halbert's friends being carted off to the police station in barrows - they were not 'sensible' as I mistyped but 'insensible' - which fits the context much better of course.

Some more snippets:

At Gateshead Fell, on the 17th inst [October 1846] aged 47, Alice, daughter of the late John Potts Halbert, Esq, merchant of this town.
Newcastle Journal, 24 Oct 1846

At Annan, Dumfries-shire on the 19th ult. [i.e. the previous December] aged 69, Ann, relict of Mr John Potts Halbert, merchant, late of Newcastle.
Newcastle Courant 8 Jan 1841

Deaths - At Sea, on the 19th September, aged 28, Capt. G.P. Halbert, of the ship Suzanne, of London, while on her passage from Calcutta. Deceased was son of the late Capt. G.P. Halbert, of this port.
Newcastle Courant, 5 December 1856

[You mentioned you have access to Ancestry - you can get documents relating to the mates/masters certificates for both the George Potts Halberts on Ancestry.]

At North Shields, on the 24th inst, [November] Mr John Johnson, merchant, to Margaret, daughter of the late Mr James Bell, and granddaughter of the late John P. Halbert, Esq., of Newcastle.
Newcastle Guardian & Tyne Mercury, 29 Nov 1862

Died, by falling overboard while on duty on board H.M.S. Rattler, at Hong Kong, China, on the 6th Feburary last, aged 25, James, son of the late Mr James Bell, and grandson of the late John Potts Halbert, Esq., of Newcastle, deeply regretted by all his friends.
Newcastle Guardian & Tyne Mercury, 25 April 1863

At St Paul’s Church High Elswick Mr Richard Atkinson, farmer, Oldham, near Manchester, to Mrs Margaret Bell, daughter of the late Mr James Bell, of Heworth and granddaughter of the late John Potts Halbert, Esq., of this town.
Newcastle Courant 28 June 1867

Balham, Surrey at the residence of his son in law, on the 23rd inst, [May 1879], aged 71, John Potts Halbert of Ashley Grange, Annan.
Newcastle Courant, 30 May 1879

[You can see from www.familysearch.org and census entries that what looks like a branch of the Newcastle Halberts ended up in Annan, Dumfrieshire. Also see death notice above for Ann, widow of John Potts Halbert.