Author Topic: Marriage - John Black & Jane Russell  (Read 11645 times)

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - John Black & Jane Russell
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 August 15 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi May
What a surprise but how lovely to hear from you. Martha Black was my husband's Great Grandmother and as you've probably read we knew next to nothing about her or her parents, who are his GG/Grandparents.

My husband's connection is Isobell Annie Scilley his Grandmother and she was the sister of the Russell that you have the photo of. We have no photos but I think I may be able to get a photocopy of Martha that I think is in a book on the Scilley family.

If you make two more posts then we can exchange information via the private messaging
system and I will the give you my email address. You can just say hi or whatever to get the number of posts.
Look forward to hearing from you
Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline may kirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
hello again - another message - I wonder how John Black came to be in Ireland and meet with Jane Russell?

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again May :)

Well, from the records found by Ciderdrinker it appears that John Black was born

in Antrim in 1817 and was convicted of stealing clothes and transported to Australia arriving

in about 1835 in Victoria.

I'm off into hospital tomorrow so will be in touch as soon as I can.

Still reply to this message with 'hi' or whatever and I'll contact you via PM as soon as I'm

able.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline may kirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
hello again - occupation of 'father' on marriage certificate looks like 'hattier'??

Offline may kirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 November 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Re John Black and Jane - I, too, in hospital, home now. can we continue correspondence - May K

Offline may kirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Information which I hold re John Black and Jane Russell, who was my great aunt. Copy Marriage cert showing John and Jane married here on 20 March 1857. the following photos, all from Muriel Black:  'our youngest daughter Daisy who is in charge of the millinery dept in Koroit, 182 miles from home', 'my sister Martha's boy, Russell' (this photo is signed W R Scilley), 'our family group at the seaside where we spent 6 weeks (Menlone?)', 'from Annie, this is my soldier laddie'.  Then there is a photo of 'cousin Will' and two more taken in Mildura and signed'Ruby and Roy'.  All these photos are dated around 1914.  Can you help?

Offline may kirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello folks - As stated earlier, Jane Russell from here in Ireland (Lisnamurrican) married John Black in
March 1857. He is described as from 'Australia'.  His father was Charles Black and his occupation looks like 'hattier'?  Jane Russell's father, William, was my great-great-grandfather. My grandmother's cousin corresponded with the Black family in Australia and I have some photos of them which I would love to pass on to the relevant person.  The Russells were an important family in the district and Jane's cousin was knighted by Queen Victoria!  I am at present compiling a history of my ancestors.
On checking in Ancestry I found a John Black born in 1822 and a 'Mrs' Black born 1837 going to Melbourne in September 1857.  This may or  may not be the correct people
MayK

Offline may kirkpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 April 16 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hope you have read my latest info regarding Jane Russell's marriage
May K

Offline mark_and_mini

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 28 December 20 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been researching into my Ancestors Jack (john) Black and Jane Russel and came across the message board containing a lot of interesting information.

I would be very interest if anyone can throw any light on their parents/grandparent etc, and if and when they came to Australia and their places of birth.

I would love to see any photos of John & jane if they exist,

Thank you

Regards

Mark