Author Topic: The mystery of Annie Badger  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Vicki Morley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of Annie Badger
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 September 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
To resurrect a very old thread, but I've found her!

I knew George Campion, son of Annie and Harry, eldest brother of my grandad died in Ludgershall, Wiltshire.  I since found out after Harry died, Annie went to live with George (grandad told me the other day).

I know Annie Badger called herself Polly Johnson on her marriage certificate.

So, once I found Annie died in Wiltshire I searched for her death. No deaths for Annie Campion, but there was one in 1963 for Mary J Campion.  A litle bell rang, weren't the names Ann and Mary fairly interchangeable?  I Googled that, and my search confirmed my thought.  It also suggested Polly and Mary could be swapped.  Thats 2 coincidences.

On the marriage certificate Polly's father was John Johnson. 

I checked the 1891 census for Mary. I found Mary J with a father called John.  Another coincidence? 

I ordered the death certificate.  It came today, Mary J Campion, widow of Harry Campion, death registered by George Campion.  It's her, I found her and I finally know her real name.  I feel quite teary. It's taken nearly 2 years to find this.
Leicestershire -Morley
Suffolk - Petch, Prigg, Ridgeon

Offline Vicki Morley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 September 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
The reason I asked is there is a baptism of a Mary Jane Badger (Polly is sometimes a corruption of Mary) born 10.7.1886 baptised 11.8.1886 Caledon Street Primative Methodist Walsall parents John and Elizabeth of Pleck, Walsall and John is down as a labourer

Bit of a long shot I know  :D

Willow x

Willow, I wish I'd remembered this earlier!!

Actually what you say there about Methodist, grandad said the other day his dad, Harry, was buried in non conformist ground.  Gosh, it's all tying together.

My dad has told me to write this up as a story.
Leicestershire -Morley

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 September 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki, thanks for updating us on your success, that's great news.  Isn't it amazing how we can struggle to find information with all the resources available, then a family member casually drops out a remark which opens up new leads (well done Grandad  ;D)

I do love a success story, well done for persevering!
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Vicki Morley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 September 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
I've never wanted to ask grandad as I know he had issues with his father and didn't want to bring it up, but we were chatting in hospital. Grandad was winding mum up so I turned the conversation to Hay on Wye, he always has fond memories of there so he was happily chatting away. He mentioned about his father's funeral so I asked what happened to his mum, and you know the rest.
Leicestershire -Morley

Online Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
I love when you finally get to the bottom of a mystery! thank you for updating us and happy hunting on the rest of the ancestors and get writing that story!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Fascinating story and well done Vicki and everyone else who contributed  ;D
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL