Author Topic: Rebecca? & John Gowing  (Read 5177 times)

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca? & John Gowing
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 November 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yorkslass....I cant thank you enough for all the time and effort that you have put in to finding all this info....and providing links and proof.....This has been a brick wall of mine for years and on looking at the info, I can see why....but it is fantastic personally for me to have this broken down because John Gowing & Rebecca are my grandparents along with samuel and you have given me so much info on them that it will keep me busy for some weeks.  The will is fascinating and I am going to transcribe that over time......just a note....John Gowing talks about his sons and daughters, so I assume that either his wife had perhaps died and he was going to marry Rebecca or he had an affair and was already married....the thing is, I cannot find a marriage for him (assuming it was between the dates of 1784 and 1833)?  Do you have any ideas on this.....as I like your way of approaching things and sorting them out.  Best wishes Jenny

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 November 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

You're welcome.
I love a good mystery.

It's a bit of a sad story really, but so fortunate that John Gowing acknowledged his illegitimate son, both at Samuel's baptism and in John's will.

However, the mystery deepens  ::)

I've found two baptisms of the other children mentioned in John's will - both born at Saxlingham, but with different mothers ... oh dear.

The first one is Benjamin, baptised in 1820, but born 1815 - father John, mother Mary (nee Jones)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14263-1992-7?cc=1823613&wc=M947-DZL:90750

The second is Sarah, baptised 1823, father John, mother Hannah!
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-29441-3?cc=1823613&wc=M947-DC2:n470970481

So far, I've been unable to find a marriage between John Gowing with either a Mary or a Hannah, nor have I found burials of these two ladies.

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 November 13 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Excellent work Yorkslass. A fanatastic result :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 November 13 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yorkslass....Well I agree, the mystery deepens....as both these 2 children are born before my Samuel It could be that perhaps Mary the mother of Benjamin, could have been his wife who died perhaps, then he went on to have Sarah with Hannah who he didnt marry (or did?) and then had an affair with Rebecca and had Samuel.  I see that in the will, he names a JOHN Sherwood.....could this be a error on his part as he goes on to say later in the will that the name of Samuel has already been mentioned (so just wasnt thinking when he wrote it and John doesnt exist)? It leads me to wonder who could be the mother of Daniel Gowing mentioned in the will aswell?? The mind boggles with all this!....Thank you again for looking regards Jenny

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 November 13 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello both,

Aw, thanks Trish.

Yes, Jenny, I noticed the reference to John ... I too think it was a mistake and should have read Samuel.

I've been looking into the grandchildren he mentions.
Both were baptised at Shotesham, to a James and Charlotte Daniels.
Found their marriage on Freereg - Charlotte's surname is transcribed as Gowen - near enough for me.

Then had a look for a baptism of a Charlotte Gowing, and here it is - 1809 at Ellingham.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11711-32533-57?cc=1824688&wc=6895060

You'll see she was baptised by a John and Hannah (nee Jones) Gowing, so I think perhaps the previous reference to Mary (nee Jones) could be a mistake.

Ellingham, though only about 12 miles from Shotesham, is pretty near the Suffolk border, which could explain why I can't find a marriage for John Gowing and either Hannah or Mary Jones.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 November 13 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Will mentions Johns Father John (who must still be alive when will was made) and his Brother Charles the Executer of the Will.
1841 Census has a Charles Gowing and Wife Lucy in St Giles, Norfolk. Born c1791, occp Harness Maker.
1851 he is born c 1791 Ellingham.

CHARLES Gowing, Baptised 23 Oct 1791, St Mary, Ellingham, Norfolk
Parents JOHN/SARAH nee CATCHPOLE
Sibling;
JOHN Gowing, 27 June 1784****, Birth 16 June
(FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 November 13 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish & Yorkslass....I dont know know which way to turn now....Yorkslass you have a James & Charlotte who have both the children mentioned (Hannah Daniels & William Daniels) bap in Shotesham.....with the parents being John & Hannah nee jones.....but Trish has John & Sarah nee Catchpole.....with Charles being baptised and sibling John with the correct birthyear?.....Both fit really well but I dont want to make a mistake.....I would appreciate any thoughts that you both might have on this......thanks Jenny

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 November 13 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

'Tis confusing, with all these Johns!

The ones I found (the Daniels children) were the grandchildren of the John Gowing who died in 1833 and left the will.
Their parents were James Daniels and Charlotte Gowing.
Charlotte's father was the John Gowing who died in 1833 and married Hannah Jones ... but we can't find that marriage.

The ones Trish found are Charles Gowing, who is John's brother (mentioned in the will of 1833)
whose parents are John and Sarah Catchpole, from Ellingham.
Trish has also found what looks very much like John's baptism, in 1884.

I'll have a look to see if I can find these in the PR's or ADT's.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 November 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi.....Its been a long day and I have thoroughly enjoyed it!  Thanks for taking a look...if you can give me some links that would be great....I want to try and back up my sources on this....thanks so much jenny