Author Topic: Isaac Elly  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Barfonion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Elly
« on: Thursday 21 November 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Isaac Elly married Susannah Butler in Swainswick, (near Bath UK) in 1723. The parish record for marriages in Swainswick quotes Isaac, (described as a 'soujerner' - tramp/hobo?), coming from Charlecombe, just a couple of miles away. There is no date of birth shown for him, but a reasonable guess is that he was born around the turn of the century. Unfortunately it seems that the parish records for Baptisms for Charlecombe covering that period have been lost/destroyed. I can trace my ancestry directly to Isaac, hence any information regarding his baptism would be very welcome.

regards,

Barfonion

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Elly
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see you already know the earlier registers are lost. (I replied to your other message before seeing this one.)

However, Isaac and Susannah were married in 1772, not 1723, according to both FreeREG and Familysearch. So Isaac was probably born in the 1740s. However he doesn't appear to have been baptised at Charlcombe.

"Sojourner" just means temporary resident, there's no connotation of tramp or hobo.

David

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 November 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
On Familysearch there is a burial for Isaac Ely at Swainswick 30.4.1812 .The online index doesn't show his age but presumably the original at that date would.
There is also a online tree at ancestry which has him baptised in Wiltshire 21..5.1749 at Heddington son of Isaac and Mary Ely.Had a look at the records on there.
Other children Joseph 29.12.1746,Mary 4.8.1752
There is a marriage of Isaac Ely to Mary Tugwell at Heddington 10.10.1743.

Ciderdrinker

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 November 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the standard format registers start in 1813. 1812 entries at Swainswick don't have the age.

The Heddington baptism is almost certainly someone else. There's an Isaac Ealy baptising children at Cherhill in the 1780s which is much more likely to be him. (Only a couple of miles from Heddington.)

David

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 15 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I know it's a little while since this topic was being discussed but Isaac & Susannah ELLY are my direct ancestors and I have been researching them for some years. 
I actually am beginning to think that Isaac was most probably born at Heddington in Wiltshire in 1749 
Regarding the Cherhill suggestion - there was an Isaac christened at Cherhill on the 7th Oct 1742 - as Isaak EALY son of Briant - I think he married Betty DEW on the 27th March 1780 at Cherhill.  This I think is the marriage which produced the children mentioned by David.

Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,