Author Topic: John Godsil ,Bandmaster.  (Read 10703 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Godsil ,Bandmaster.
« Reply #36 on: Monday 09 December 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Well i dont think its a bad guess as Aghadowey found two marriages for his sisters in Kent so they may have stayed in the same locality. The J Dunne connection could be through Timothey's mother Bridget McDonnell nee Dunne, see a death for a J Dunne on CWGC Canadian forces at Ypres 17/06/16 but no next of kin mentioned also the Cleary mentioned has same number as Patrick Cleary. so definately connected somehow.
many thanks againDathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post,it has been an amazing journey all over Ireland and across the sea tracing this mans family,from the Home Rule agitation of the 1880s to the Green Fields of France in WW1, i found it utterly fascinating and both sad at the same time,though i am not a relative doing this for a friend i wont forget this one for a long time.
Regards Dathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 03 March 14 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Just found out recently that Timothy McDonnell went to France in Dec 1915 so decided to do a search for children in the G R O Indexes between 1911 and 1916 and found two but talk about mistranscriptions
Timothy jnr born March 1912 mothers name Lizzie Galden 3 Gannons Lane ,father Timothy, a Vanman.
Amelia born Jan 1915 mothers name Lizzie Godsin 26 Charlemont St.father Timothy a Vanman.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 03 March 14 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hasta
          would you know if Timothy's family would have received any medals after his death,i see the battle for Ginchy took place on the date of his death so this is probably where he fell.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai

So, where do you stand with this search now ?

Is it just medals that you are asking re or is there another search that you need help with ?

Let me know !

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara
          Thanks for the interest,i had been doing this for an in law of one of Timothy's descendants and obviously his children would like to know their mothers side of the family as very little was known of him as Timothy went to war in 1915 as you can see both children were under four when he died.
They did'nt know he went to war so i was curious to know would the Wife have received any posthumous medals for him or could they still be applied for if she had not,who's to know it was 100 years ago.
As for any further research on the family we would be touching on living people and thats a no no on here.
Thank you anyway for all your help on various topics.
Cheers
Dathai.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai

As far as I'm aware, the medals that he was awarded would have been sent to his next of kin !

Usually when a person died during the war you don't see their draft cards on ancestry but for some reason my great grandmother's brother's DID show up (disappeared off their records shortly after so I was SOOO lucky that I had printed them off. Anyway, there was a LOT of pages attached to it re all the correspondance sent to his mother re sending her the medals so I presume the same would have been done for Timothy's family.

BTW my Great Grandad would have been with Timothy at the same time as he was in the Royal Irish Rifles at the same time as Timothy. My Great Grandad survived though thank goodness.

Tara

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 09 March 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Dathai, only just saw your question.
 Not a great authority, but yes his medals would have been sent to his next of kin - and we know they had correct details from the CWGC page.

Just going back to John Godsil - I found another little bit of info on him that I never posted. (Sorry!)
20/9/1898 he is in Ormond Road, Kilkenny and summoned to the petty courts charged with failure to respond to a Notice to Quit the house because of non payment of rent of 4/6 per week. This ties in perfectly with the adverts he placed in the newspaper that aghadowey posted a few pages back for the  21st and 23rd of September looking for a new job and home. He was fined £19 17s 7d plus costs of £4 10s - I'd imagine that was a very hefty amount back then.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the added info Hasta makes it all more interesting and yes that would have been a hefty sum back then.

Cheers
Dathai.