Author Topic: Scottish Creightons (Crightons) in Monaghan?  (Read 8096 times)

Offline badrenn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Creightons (Crightons) in Monaghan?
« on: Tuesday 10 December 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
My 2nd Great Grandmother was Jeanette Crighton, born in Ireland (1832-33) perhaps in Monaghan County.  I have a marriage banns for her parents, Robert Crighton and Mary Hamilton, that says that he is from "Parish of Monaghan, Ireland".  Marriage took place in 1830 in Swinton, Berwick, Scotland.  I think he was already living in Ireland, came back to marry Mary and then went back to Ireland.

In the census of 1851 Janet is found living with her Uncle William in Birgham, Eccles, Scotland.  She describes herself as a "Land Steward's daughter"  "born Ireland".  She is listed as the eldest of 3 children with Elizabeth (age 10) and James (age 9) also listed as born in Ireland.  From some other sources I have put together this listing of siblings:
Mary (no birth info)
Jeanette (above)
Ann Jane (born ca 1838)
Elizabeth (born ca 1841)
James (born ca 1842)
Robert Thomas (born 1843)

I need some direction on how to "proof" Jeanette into this family.  Are there birth records in Ireland for the Scots?  What does it mean that her father was a Land Steward and how can I find him in Ireland?  I've looked through a lot of records of Scottish land holders named Crighton and there are many, but none near Monaghan.

Need some help getting started in Ireland.  Then it's off to find out how Jeanette and my German 2nd Great Grandfather met and got married before they came to the US.  I think I know some of this story, but there are big, big holes!!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Creightons (Crightons) in Monaghan?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 06:22 GMT (UK) »

... What does it mean that her father was a Land Steward ...

As far as Ireland back in the 1800s is concerned, most land / estate was owned by the relatively few and leased to tenants.  Many substantial owners employed land stewards, often in their own prolonged absence, to manage their lands, ie. to look after their asset and maximise any income.

If it was a large estate, the land steward would have had several people reporting to him, for example gardener, gamekeeper, workmen to repair fences etc.  The Land Steward would have paid their wages and kept account of their work.  He would have kept records of livestock and crops.

Another important job, whether a large estate or disparate pockets of land, was to collect the rent from the tenants (farmers and just householders living in houses).  It was this aspect of the job that could become contentious!   :)

PS. the RootsIreland website has a church marriage for a Robert Creighton to a Mary Hamilton in County Monaghan in 1830, in the circumstances I suspect this may be the same couple and that they had two marriages, one in Scotland, one in Ireland.  The record is pay to view but be aware that it may offer up little information of assistance, for example, the location of the marriage and where the bride and groom were living. Where the bride and groom were living is precisely just that, it doesn't necessarily mean any ancestral / longer term association.   Your choice.  :)

PPS. lots of Hamiltons in Monaghan here in these records of occupiers of agricultural land, not so many Creightons (though they may be under alternative spellings, I didn't check):

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 08:11 GMT (UK) »
My 2nd Great Grandmother was Jeanette Crighton, born in Ireland (1832-33) perhaps in Monaghan County.  I have a marriage banns for her parents, Robert Crighton and Mary Hamilton, that says that he is from "Parish of Monaghan, Ireland".  Marriage took place in 1830 in Swinton, Berwick, Scotland.  I think he was already living in Ireland, came back to marry Mary and then went back to Ireland.

Your information suggests that the family lived in the parish of Monaghan (which is near Monaghan town). So that would be the place to search for the baptism of their daughter Jeanette.

You don’t say what denomination they were but if they married in the Church of Scotland, then they may have been Presbyterian. There are 2 Presbyterian churches in or near Monaghan town. Both have records starting in the 1820s. Monaghan 1st & Clontibret. Copies of both sets of records are held in PRONI, Belfast (the public record office). They don’t appear to be on-line anywhere yet, so a personal visit to PRONI may be required to access them.
Elwyn

Offline badrenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both.  Ahhh...  a personal visit.  How I wish I could do that.  I'm in the US with no means to visit, at this time.  If there are no on line records I may have to wait.

Thanks again. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
If you write to

Reverend Daniel Martin
The Manse
Ballyalbany
Monaghan
Co Monaghan

he will have the records you need for Marriage 1830 and 8 kids. You have 6 correct but missing 2, you won't get their births but get baptisms for them. Include an address and email address and a small donation to church fund, clearly marked as a Donation otherwise there will be tax to be paid from it.

You will be getting 9 SOURCED records so whatever value you put each sourced record.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Forgot you will need to add Ireland to that address!!

Reverend Daniel Martin
The Manse
Ballyalbany
Monaghan
Co Monaghan
Ireland

Offline badrenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Would he have a problem with a personal check?  How is the best way to send a donation?  Oh my Gosh, thank you for this information.  I've just been wondering how I was going to overcome this problem without going over and looking for myself.  I'd love to go...  and I mean to go one day but now is not the time.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
If you send a personal check the value will be greatly reduced by the time it is pocesses (bank charges for exchaning currency, exchange rate, etc.).

If you know what shurch has the records you wish to look at have a look at LDS catalogue (www.familysearch.org) to see if they've microfilmed the records- of so you can order the reel from your local LDS library for a small fee to be viewed there.

Be aware that there will usually be little detail in Presbyterian baptismal records (baptismal date, child's name, father's name and perhaps townland or mother's maiden name).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 December 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Would he have a problem with a personal check?  How is the best way to send a donation?  Oh my Gosh, thank you for this information.  I've just been wondering how I was going to overcome this problem without going over and looking for myself.  I'd love to go...  and I mean to go one day but now is not the time.

Well the easiest way would be to put a value on getting SOURCED records by putting a value on each as you think fit to come up with a total amount and then ask at your bank what this dollar amount would be in Euros and what charges you would incur... you can then adjust your donation downwards to allow for your charges and make out a cheque to Ballyalbany Presbyterian Church and write "Donation" on cheque.

IF Ballyalbany has been filmed you can order the film etc but how much will this cost you incl time and travel...how clear is the film etc?...

IF you go the church route he might even know if any of the Creightons or Hamiltons descendants are still around!

The choice is yours....