Author Topic: The Misunderstood and a Suitcase of letters purchased from a French Flea Market  (Read 7280 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Earlier this year we had a number of postings by new member Mike (Paris Jordan) Mike had purchased an old suitcase at a Paris Flea Market last year and have no idea of the interest it would create into the contents it holds.  The papers, photographs and drawings belonged to a lady called Jeanne Donnadieu and he hoped that with the help of fellow RootsChatters it could help him translate the French Handwriting and trace the family.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=648162.msg4947870#msg4947870

In August new member Mandy (Mandilini) had picked up on the story of Mikes suitcase as Mandy had been researching all about the life of artist Jeanne Donnadieu.

Jeanne Donnadieu was born in Paris 1864. In 1892 she exhibited “L'Incompris – The Misunderstood a striking pastel portrait of a mysterious misunderstood Man – but was he?
The original exhibition label held an enticing clue, an address,17 rue victor Masse. This address was where Jeanne Donnadieu was residing between the years 1885-1897 was just 4 doors away from where another artist Vincent Van Gogh was living.

Mandy (Mandilini) has created this great website that records her research so far....with some beautiful details of what could be the only full sized Portrait of Vincent Van Gogh in existence.
http://vincentvangoghportrait.com

So what secrets do the Donnadieu letters hold, do they hold links to Van Gogh?

Sadly we have not been able to get in touch with Mike, his emails are not bouncing back....oh how we would love to hear back from you
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mandilini

• RootsChat Extra
  • UK Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Misunderstood and a Suitcase of letters purchased from a French Flea Market
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 December 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
This is fantastic Sarah!! I didn't realise where you would be putting it on the site exactly and I just came across it by accident.
Guess what we found?  On Ancestry.com this Mike chap had put on some of the photos out of the case!! So at last we can see what she looked like even though the only photo of the artist herself is when she is about 60.  It has her mum and dad, granny, and a couple of lads that may be her sons.
A few other photos but still no contact. I just don't know how he hasn't found us. We are on there too so did he not do a proper search? He also includes a nickname for her ("Surée") which means either it is written on the photo or there are more documents in the suitcase. We have sent a message ancestry but they are not as good as you in that, at least as far as I can tell, messages are not forwarded to your email address so you have to actually be on Ancestry to see them and even then they are not easy to spot.  But wow it is lovely to see her!! She is smiling. I looked up at our picture and then at her and thought, "Wow all that time ago you were the one responsible for such a fantastic picture! We have it because you were there, in the same room as Vincent van Gogh and because you, sadly were forgotten and no one took any notice of the reverse of the picture when it was sold."  I think she must have stopped painting to become a mum. Awww. I wish I could find out who she married (and divorced) but it is only down as being Houdard. Nothing more.
Anyway, I thought you would like to know about that. I will let you know anything more we find out. It is such an incredibly exciting journey.

Warmest regards

Mandy
x

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: The Misunderstood and a Suitcase of letters purchased from a French Flea Market
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mandy,

What a nice discovery to find some more photographs...really adds to what you already know about "Suree" (more clues)

Why not try a post on our Europe board with the details you know about the family, there maybe someone who can advice on searching French Marriage/Divorce records or someone who has been researching houdard.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=135.0

Please keep us updated such an interesting story, can not wait to hear what you find out next and of course Mike's reply ;)

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Aw wow...what an intriguing story and I love the pastel artwork that she created....I will be watching this space...this story has legs  :D :D :D :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Another one here who is registering their interest!  :) What an intriguing story - I am very keen to know more.

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 12:52 GMT (UK) »
What a great story, can't wait to find out what happens next  :)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!. This is one to watch.
Frank. ;)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 13:52 GMT (UK) »
This has the hallmark of an epic obsessive rootschat search I think.  :)

Mandy, do you mind explaining how you became so interested in Jeanne Donnadieu - a little background if possible?

I hope that Mike contacts you. Presumably he is aware of the value of the contents of the suitcase? (I am hoping he has kept the collection together and not sold any of it)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 21:35 GMT (UK) »
All our  family fascinated by this story. Even the title of the painting The Misunderstood speaks

volumes.

Can hardly wait for the next instalment ........