Author Topic: Greer family, Newmains Wishaw  (Read 8151 times)

Online Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Greer family, Newmains Wishaw
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
I have info on (away from my paperwork right now) about it' s either John / James Buchannan Greer from Overtown who died during the Great War.

Swally

Online Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 April 16 19:11 BST (UK) »
Try this,

James Buchanan Greer – Private 39747 – Highland Light Infantry 2nd Battalion

James (c.1882), son of Thomas and Mary Greer, brother of Mary (c.1889), John (c.1891), Humphrey (c.1892), William (c.1895), Abraham (c.1898), Flora (c.1901).  The family resided at 27, Wemys Row, Overtown on the 1901 Census and James was employed as a miner.

Private Greer was killed in action on the 6th June 1917.

Private Greer has no known grave, he is commemorated on Cambrai Memorial, France, Panel 10, Overtown and Newmains War Memorials.

Do you have a picture of him by chance?

Swally

Offline aak1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 July 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra Greer,

The Greers of Gowkthrapple-Overtown were cousins to my grandfather Joseph Smith. John Buchanan Greer born 1890 married his cousin Mary Leslie Smith in 1913. She was named after her grandmother (also Johns grandmother) Mary Leslie from Ireland, who married Humphrey Greer in 1857 in Glasgow. Humphrey was also Irish.

You can contact me directly on 'aak1957 at yahoo.co.uk' for copies of the records and further information.

Regards,

Allan

Smith, Smyth, Greer, Grier, Leslie, Henning, Heenan

Offline Alfy Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • what an amazing site
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 July 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

What was Mae's maiden name and her birthyear/birthplace?

Here is Abraham on the 1901 census - all surname Greer

27 Wemys Row Cambusnethan

Thomas Greer 41 Iron Work Puddler
Mary  38 b Glasgow
James  19  ditto
Mary    12 b Craigneck
John    10 b Overtown
Humphrey 9  ditto
William 6      ditto
Abraham 3   ditto
Flora  1       ditto
Robert  22 visitor b Glasgow
Cambusnethan ED 8 Page 11 Line 18
there is a Charles and Agnes come along after this!  Where has son Thomas gone is he in same area? See him in 1891 but not 1901
Campbell, Greer, Hamilton, Brown, Arnott, Gardner, Smith, Stewart

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 October 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone with an interest in the Greer family. 'My'  Greer family moved from Ireland around 1859/60.
 The 1861 census shows them living at 8 Drygate Inner City Glasgow -husband Charles, wife Esther and 8 children. Also living at 8 Drygate were the families of Humphrey Greer b. 1836 and Thomas Greer b. 1816. I presume this was a tenement building as there were at least 2 more families at 8 Drygate, The Prentice family and the Gillies family.
All the Greer families must have been related and I wondered if anyone knew if Charles and Thomas were brothers and if so do you know the names of their parents.
I have the names of Charles and Esther's children but no details of them after 1861 except for John b. 1858.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline aak1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello gingerbit,

Thomas Greer (parents Thomas Greer and Mary McSweenie from death record in 1863) and wife Mary Greer (parents Richard Greer and Jane Wilson from death record in 1867) at 8 Drygate Lane in 1861 were also in the 1851 census at 74 Drygate Street.
Humphrey (age 25 in 1861), also at at 8 Drygate Lane was Thomas and Marys son. Humphrey was from County Donegal according to Poor Relief claim DHEW 10-5-60-221 (C33977) in the Glasgow Mitchell Library. My Greer family is descended from Humphrey and ended up at Cambusnethan near Wishaw.
I cannot say if they are related to your Charles although it seems likely. Charles could have been Mary's brother, or Thomas's brother.

The Poor Relief records at the Mitchell Library might be able to help you further.

Allan
Smith, Smyth, Greer, Grier, Leslie, Henning, Heenan

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 March 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Allan, Thank you for the info. I put aside my search for this family as I seemed to have come across the proverbial brick wall. I am fairly sure they came from Dunfanachy in Donegal and travelled across to Glasgow at the behest of other family members. Now I can try the Mitchell library, or rather persuade a family member to go as I am many many miles away from there... :) :) 
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland