Author Topic: Gedney serial bigamist John Lince alias John Rudd  (Read 6603 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gedney serial bigamist John Lince alias John Rudd
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is the information I had on my hubbys ancestor John Alexander Lince previous to finding the newspaper articles below

John Lince c1831  married Mary Ann Wellden on the 18 Sep 1859 Gedney Lincs  a child Mary Ann Welden (Lince) was bapt 28 May 1859 at Gedney Lincs to John Lince and Mary. There is a death for a Mary Ann Lince buried at St Mary Magdalene Church aged 17, 28 Sep 1859 living at Drove End Gedney subsequently John Lince married Emma Smart  on the 24 Mar 1863 Gedney Lincs no sign of a death or divorce for John and Emma before his next marriage John Lince married Ann Elizabeth Harrison c1825 aged 42 at Barrow Upon Humber on 21 Nov 1867

July 31st 1863 the Lincolnshire Chronicle published an article regarding John Lince alias John Rudd gardener and shoemaker who was given one years hard labour for having married Eliza his first wife on the 25th November 1848 and whilst she was still alive and without her knowledge marrying Ann Welden and a second bigamous marriage followed to Emma Smart on the 24th March 1863.

I've never been able to find John Alexander Lince in any census return earlier than 1871 so perhaps he may be down as John Rudd in 1841/51/61 also this marriage to Eliza any help or information would be very much welcomed?

I also have found another newspaper article from the Stamford Mercury February 1865, as if he hadn't already learnt his lesson John Lince gardener of Spalding was ordered to pay Ann Waltham 1s and 6d a week for the support of her illegitimate child at Long Sutton Petty Sessions, any info here on Anns child would be very much welcomed as this could explain my difficulty in finding a birth for his son John Alexander Lince c1858 Denton/Spalding depending on which census returns from 1871 onwards you read.  John Jr could be the son of Eliza, Mary Ann, Emma, Ann or Uncle Tom Cobley at this rate. Any clues, or help on this strange family set up would be most welcome?

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gedney serial bigamist John Lince alias John Rudd
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 January 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Think I've got the marriage John Rudd married Eliza Hanner at Denton Norfolk 25 November 1848, his father is Joseph Rudd which is brilliant as a fellow Lince descendent had John's father as Joseph but I've never found a Joseph Lince or his family so perhaps it's the Rudd's rather than the Lince family in 1841/51/61 to find, still no sign of John Jr or John Sr births yet but will keep digging

Don't get too excited getting confused here finding another marriage for John and Eliza same batch on 15 October 1848 in Denton and a death for a John Rudd also in Denton in 1853!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:06 GMT (UK) »
What was father Joseph's occupation on that marriage cert

John Lince c1831

There is quite a discrepancy in his birthyear if he claimed to be 42 when he married in 1867

I wonder was he born as Rudd and his mother married a Lince - or born as Lince and she married a Rudd.  Two quite distinctive surnames so clearly of some significance to him

I've never been able to find John Alexander Lince in any census return earlier than 1871

Is he the John Lince b 1827 Norwich but living in Yorkshire?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Possibility for his mother/stepfather

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NFMF-F3P
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Joseph appears to be his biological father so he seems to have used his mothers maiden name for his bigamous marriages

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NTVG-VLC

Other children born to his parents

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NX6M-K41
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NPZZ-GHC
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NR15-JH7

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 January 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
1841 for Denton - all b in county

Joseph Rudd 35 agric labourer
Maryann 35
Elizabeth  15
John  13
Joseph  11
Ann 8
Rachel 6
Charlotte  3
Eleanor 7 Months
HO107 Piece 758/21  Folio 12 Page 16

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 January 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Yes John did settle in (Guisborough) Yorkshire and as far as I am aware his last marriage was to Sarah Anne Humphrey in a joint wedding with his son John in 1880.  Everything about John Snr is a mish mash of age/where born etc, I've some other news articles relating to him neglecting John Jr and shooting an orchard thief, so he seems to be quite a character.

Thank you for all your help Carole, I'll have a look on the doun transcripts if they are still around and also do a bit more digging on familysearch now that I know my search has returned to Norfolk again.

Hopefully I can pin John Jr's birth down he was born around 1858 so now that I know he could be a Rudd that might help find him.

Regards

Julie

Offline stevepage62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 15 06:27 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if there had been any movement on this, my great grandfather was John Lince born 1897 Harrogate son of John Alexander Lince. I'm fascinated by the whole bigamy thing and would welcome any links information

Thanks

Steve

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Nothing much to report, I've never found what happened to John Lince Jr, if you would like to send me the info you have on the family in a PM there might be a few clues I can pick up on to help us both find what happened to John Lince Jnr as after 1908 he vanished.

Julie