Author Topic: 3xgt grandmother's invisible husband  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
3xgt grandmother's invisible husband
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking for him yet again is giving me a stinking headache so I thought I'd post him here for anyone's thoughts.

I’m trying to unravel the mystery of my 3xgt grandmother’s invisible husband.

Elizabeth HAMLEY married William ROBBINS 15 Sept 1870 in Treneglos, Cornwall. On the 1871 census, Elizabeth is in her brother’s household in Tremaine, oddly under her maiden name although written as married, with her daughter Mary Ann ROBINS 1870, whose christening I haven’t found (I suspect she was born as Mary Ann Robins HAMLEY). She has two further ROBBINS children (found the christening of the second but not the third) and is without her husband on every census, living in Launceston 1881 onwards (1881 is “farmer’s wife” and then thereafter she is a laundress). Her 1911 says she is married but she gets her years of marriage wrong and appears to count her first illegitimate child as a child of the marriage. She dies in 1919 as “widow of William ROBBINS” but it was delivered by coroner after inquest so it is possible that someone got it wrong. If it weren’t for the marriage, I might have suspected she’d just made up a husband.

After discounting another William who was with a wife on census, I’ve found a curious character in the form of William ROBINS 1844, son of John (father’s name and occupation correct as marriage). He is with his parents on the 1871 in Treneglos, a married man with no wife or children. Subsequently he stays in the Treneglos area living as a married man with his unmarried sister Caroline, but no wife or children. On the 1911, it originally says married for 40 years with three children (which would fit), but this has been crossed out and “widower” written above; it might be in a different hand but I can’t tell. He dies late 1919, after Elizabeth’s date of death.

Has anyone got any thoughts on how I might pin down this man as "mine" or else give me an excuse to throw him out of the window!  ???

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 3xgt grandmother's invisible husband
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Shame he doesn't seem to leave a will.

You could suppose that the marriage broke down after the births of the children and they went their seperate ways.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, I thought that's a theory... just wish I could conclusively pin him down.

I think I've found his sister's will though, unfortunately the probate doesn't help...

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Yeah, I thought that's a theory... just wish I could conclusively pin him down.

I think I've found his sister's will though, unfortunately the probate doesn't help...
Hi Have you got the actual copy of the Will

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:41 GMT (UK) »
No, I only found the probate a minute or two before posting the message! ;)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 January 14 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There maybe a Will for Williams father, John in 1866, executor William Robins son, this may mention grandchildren

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On the marriage, does it give an address where William was living, also what address is given on the children's birth certificates

Margp
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 January 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I literally just found the 1886 will myself, you never know (it's like one of those game shows where you open the box to see what the prize is... I've had a will that's bequeathed everything but the kitchen sink and another one that said "I give all my worldly goods to my children, share and share alike")

William's residence was merely Treneglos on the marriage. The William I'm currently investigating was living at his parents' residence in Tregerry (in the parish of Treneglos) on the 1871 and he presumably would have married from there.

I don't have any of the children's birth certs (I'm not descended from them, Elizabeth had a child prior to the marriage) only a christening for Margaret 1874 which gives residence as Race Hill, Launceston (I expect this is the same for all children, she was still there in 1881).

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 January 14 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is this BC

Mary Ann Robins

Apr Qtr 1870
Bodmin
5c
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich