Author Topic: MEACLEM  (Read 6981 times)

Offline Double Irish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MEACLEM
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
"I can find the eldest son's marriage Robert MEACLEM to Sarah IRWIN.  ..."  Where?

"I also found the death of his father Thomas MEACLEM.."  Where??

Religion??

Withholding critical clues makes it harder for anyone trying to help..
I have no idea what religion.  I am led to believe not catholic.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.logainm.ie/en/1412343 leads me to think they will be in the Ireland collection on familysearch under..  Cootehill, Ireland      ...as they are registered/listed by the Registry Office they used which most probably was Cootehill!

I'd just Surname in and Cootehill, Ireland and search.... often less can be more!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 June 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
Meaclem

Robert 23 Cavan Labourer
    Sarah 20
    Sarah 10
    Matilda 8
    Rose 44 Trans to s/w

http://www.geni.com/projects/New-Zealand-Settler-Ships-Punjab-1873/14194

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 June 15 23:41 BST (UK) »

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 June 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
In the baptismal register of Corraneary Presbyterian Church, Bailieborough there is an entry as follows: Samuel McKelvey and Jane Bloomer, Sarah, 2nd child, 1809. This register is dated 1764 - 1810. I will have a look in the register that follows and see if any more children are listed. Regards, Les. www.bailiepublications.com 

Offline Gwila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 April 19 06:41 BST (UK) »
Many of this family emigrated to NZ including the mother Rose [ Roseanna ]
Robert Meaclem who married Sarah Irwin emigrated to New Zealand (both of them).
Robert Died in Auckland in 1917 and Sarah in Hamilton in 1922. They had seven children in New Zealand. They arrived into Lyttelton, Canterbury NZ 20 Sep with his mother Rose, Sarah and Matilda. See below.
Roberts siblings or close relations in NZ:

1)Brother William 1854 -1923. Died in Ashburton Canterbury, NZ. Arrived on the Dover Castle with sisters Margaret and Eliza. See below for more detail. There are a lot of Meaclems in the Ashburton cemetery so presumably descendents of William.

2) Mother Rose Meachem aged 44yrs from County Cavan arrived in 2nd Jun 1873 aboard the 'Punjaub' into Lyttelton, Canterbury NZ. With her were daughters Sarah 10 (1862-1937)and Matilda aged 8. (1865-1913) Rose is listed as single and a dressmaker. So she would be a widow. She died in Christchurch Canterbury NZ in 1903.
Matilda married Donald Fry and died in Christchurch NZ aged 48yrs.
Sarah is listed on some family trees as marrying James Rennie in 1890 in San Franscisco. I believe this incorrect and this is another Sarah Meaclem from County Cavan having seen some time back very similar family lines There is no online record of Sarah leaving NZ once here but no marriage or death records so could be wrong.

4) Sisters: Margaret J aged 21 (b.1851) and Eliza [Elizabeth] (b.1859)  aged 13yrs  arrived on the ship 'Dover Castle'  on 7 May 1872 to Lyttelton, Canterbury, NZ.. Both described as general servants from County Cavan.
Margaret married William Richards Shattock in 1905. She died in Hamilton in 1932 aged 48/49rs.
According to NZ marriage records Eliza married John William Rogers twice - in 1884 and again in 1892.
I am not a relation however I have considerable information on one of Robert and Sarah's children Robert Irwin who became a habitual  criminal beginning at a young age. He used many aliases so researching him has been rather a challenge including the newspapers of the times spelling the name Meaclem about 10 different ways with Meachem and Maclean being the most common. His aliases were all a combination of his sisters husbands names in one form or another.  I can probably help with more information about this family should anyone need it.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 April 19 07:05 BST (UK) »

You have the likes of these.... whenever the Images come online (early 2019  ;D )

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01npw/

Offline rrennie3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 November 23 16:18 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandmother was Sarah Meaclem.  My family said that part of the family was scotch Irish.  Is there any evidence of this other than Cavan being close to Ulster where the Scots went in 1604?

My family also thinks we are part of the Maclean clan (through Sarah I believe).  Is there anything to support this?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 December 23 13:37 GMT (UK) »

..a marriage entry for Robert Meaclem with a possible match for Sarah Irwin in the Civil marriage index Year 1873 Bailieborough Registration District vol 2 page 529.

Marriage 6 March 1873 at Knockbride Parish Church.
Robert Meaclem to Sarah Irwin.
Robert, a labourer living at Tullylurkan [sic] townland. Sarah living at Ardmoan [sic] townland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1873/11262/8130528.pdf

Ardmone townland
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/clankee/drumgoon/canningstown/ardmone/
Tullylorcan townland
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/clankee/knockbride/canningstown/tullylorcan/

On OpenStreetMap-
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5731077#map=12/53.9533/-6.9907

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo