Author Topic: Grandfather George Wright  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Fiona power

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandfather George Wright
« on: Saturday 18 January 14 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking for my grandfather George Wright.
Have very limited information, he was not married to my grandmother and I believe he may have been married to a Cathy or Catherine at the time of my mothers birth. As far as I know there was very little contact with him after her birth and she does not remember him being around at all.

Details I have are all from my mothers birth certificate as follows

Name Moyra McLean Wright
5th October 1939 - Towerhill Road  Glasgow

Father: George Wright. Tramcar Motorman. (Bandsman: 1st Batton, Glasgow Highlanders)

Mother: Agnes (Nessie) Brown McLean, Hairdresser

Registered in the district of Partick

I did find a marriage certificate for a George Wright and Catherine Taylor in 1931 in the district of lanark that would fit in with ages etc  but I have no way of knowing if that is him or not.
Have tried contacting Glasgow Highlanders web site several times but have never had a reply

Any suggestions as to where I go from here?
Thanks Fiona

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather George Wright
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
If you could work his age that might be a start ...You said you had a marriage for him did It not state his occupation ?   You could also look for other births father George Wright but that would be quite costly ...The best place to do that is Edinburgh or Glasgow Mitchell Library they have a Scotlands people search room

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Is there a photograph of him.There were a lot  of men with that name and not knowing his year of  birth makes it hard.You will have to check them all. Here is one for you to start.

George Wright born Glasgow 1895.     Death  7th November 1977 Newcastle apon Tyne.

Parents George Wright 1874-1960 Catherine McDougal McGregor 1874 -1954.
                                                                                                                           Norma

Offline Fiona power

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I live in Australia so can't make visits to libraries etc, and also have no photo.
The George I mentioned in marriage cert. was a coal miner, but 8 years later could have changed occupation especially if he was a drummer in a military band.
My grandmother was born 1907, the George and Catherine I mentioned were both born in 1901, I found both their birth certificates.
The only hint I have as to his wife's name is that my mother has memories of behind the hand mentions of Cathy and of reading the name on something she was not supposed to look at

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 January 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
You said you found both birth certificates for George & Catherine ?did you mean the George Wright as it should have the parent's names on it  :)

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 January 14 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Friends from your mums childhood and her neighbours may very well remember who he was and know who is wife was and other children. Does she have any contact with anyone  from her childhood  to ask?

You could try checking all obituaries for George Wright until you find one that fits.
                                                                                                                            Norma

Offline Fiona power

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 January 14 21:15 GMT (UK) »
The birth certificate I found for the George Wright that married Catherine Taylor, had his parents as
John Wright and Violet McNeil (both deceased). But I still have no other information that connect this man to my mother.

All relations who were of an age to remember have passed on now as I am sure would have any neighbors.

She had a feeling he may have moved to England perhaps in the early 40's, but can't give a reason to that thought.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
There are a few trees on Ancestry with these parent's but no mention of George Wright think this is going to be a hard one for you to track .......Knowing whether he stayed in Glasgow or as you said England  :(

Offline Fiona power

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 January 14 09:31 GMT (UK) »
The George wright I was following was born late 1901 so he wasn't on the census form but is on the 1911 census form with those parents as a 10 year old😊