Author Topic: Birth Victoria - Sarah FRANCIS  (Read 4887 times)

Offline DeeBee58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Victoria - Sarah FRANCIS
« on: Monday 20 January 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Francis family. (William, Christina, Sarah & John) living in Victoria in the 1850s-
1880's. (Morton Plains, Alma, Maryborough, Loddon areas)

Father William FRANCIS and mother Christiana/Christina NEED  are both English. I don't know whether they were married when they  came to Australia. I haven't been able to locate marriage details (the records I have show that William was a Shepherd and worked on Fernhurst Station on Loddon.)

Daughter Sarah was born abt 1857. I haven't been able to find a birth certificate for her here in Victoria.
Maybe she was born in England??

Son John died aged 3 at Fernhurst Station in 1862 (his death cert states he was born in Victoria - but I haven't been able to find evidence of his birth)

Mother Christiana/Christina died in 1863 on Fernhurst Station. Her remains were found on the property. (she was 47-50 years old) - Details found on her Death Cert and an article in Bendigo Adv. about her death.

** A HUGE THANK YOU TO MEMBERS HERE AT ROOTCHAT FOR FINDING THE ARTICLE FOR ME **

I have searched for William's Death Certificate and found a William Francis (aged about 40) that died of natural causes on either Veetis or Teetis Station in the Wimmera Shire, County Borung. An inquest was held by coroner Dr Lawton on 2nd September 1872.
This William was born in England, not known how long in Aust. Father, Mother and marriage details not known.

Could this be my William?? His profession is listed as unknown, but if Veetis/Teetis is a Sheep or Cattle station where he was found - then he could have been working there as a Shepherd.
One thing that doesn't quite fit is the age of this man.

Sorry,  a lengthy story - I guess what I am wanting help with mostly is Sarah's birth & John's birth.
Any other information about William (death) and Christiana/Christine's marriage and arrival in Aust would be a bonus.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Debbie

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Victoria - Sarah FRANCIS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 14 22:53 GMT (UK) »
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Debbie,
Does the death certificate in 1864 for Sarah indicate at all the her husband contributed information to complete the form?

For instance there is provision in the columns for marriage and children details.
How complete and accurate are they ?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Sarah was born abt 1857. I haven't been able to find a birth certificate for her here in Victoria.
Maybe she was born in England??

Do you have her marriage and death certificates ie if she married.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Is Christina's name on the death certificate as it isn't on the indexes.

Death
FRANCIS John
Father William   
1862  3 years  Born Victoria Reg#7292

Mother Christiana/Christina died in 1863 on Fernhurst Station. Her remains were found on the property. (she was 47-50 years old) - Details found on her Death Cert and an article in Bendigo Adv. about her death.

I have searched for William's Death Certificate and found a William Francis (aged about 40) that died of natural causes on either Veetis or Teetis Station in the Wimmera Shire, County Borung. An inquest was held by coroner Dr Lawton on 2nd September 1872.

Bit of a difference in ages....according to her Christina's death registration and the Inquest Index Christina born c1816-1820 and the above Wm born c1832.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Online trees have this is as Sarah dau of William FRANCIS and Christine NEED.

Marriage
FRANCE Sarah  Place of birth not on index
MAZZOLETTI John  Born Italy
1876  Reg#1335

Then there is this birth....
Birth
FRANCE Alice
Father Unknown  Mother Sara FRANCE
At Timor  1872  Reg#26813

And death with spelling error of given name
MAZZOLETTI Satah
Father Unknown FRANCES Mother Unknown  UNKNOWN
At Malvern  85 years  1940  Reg#6270

The Argus  9 Jul 1940
Deaths
MAZZOLETTI
On July 7 Sarah the dearly beloved wife of John Mazzoletti and loving mother of Alice (deceased) John (deceased) Min, Will,Joe, Lena, Ern, Cath, Ted and George aged 86 years late of Goldsborough and St Arnaud -Peacefully sleeping

Do you have Sarah's marriage certificate? 

If so what is her age as her death info indicates a birth c1854/55.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunate incident

The Argus 25 Apr 1872

On Sunday night, we learn from the Maryborough and Dunolly Advertiser, an affray took place at Alma Flat, near Chinaman's, between some Englishmen and Italians, in the course of which a man named Thomas Smith was stabbed in the abdomen, and so seriously injured that his life is almost despaired of. It was considered advisable to take the depositions of the wounded man, who was accordingly examined on Monday by Mr. C. W. Carr, P.M. Smith identified his assailant as on Italian named Giovanni Mazzoletti, who was arrested on the charge of cutting and wounding. Three of the prisoner's companions, named Antonio Daboudai, Francis Valli, and Giacomo Plozza, were also apprehended by the police. "With regard to the unfortunate man Smith," says the Advertiser, "he is known as a respectable miner,   and as having at different times worked in the Nicboll's Freehold, Mount Greenock, and some of the Rocky Flat claims at Talbot. The affray is the more to be deplored because he was the sole support of his mother and sister, his father being laid up in the Amherst Hospital, suffering from injuries sustained whilst working in a drive."

Agh...I see this has been already researched however will leave the text online.
Previous thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674012.0

I have found Sarah's mother's (Christiana Need's) death certificate - it states Sarah was only 7 years old when her mother died (1864)

Who was the informant?   What other info is there that could possibly help us with your search?

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Not about Sarah, topic of thread but have you considered this possible death for her father

FRANCIS William
Parents Unknown
1866  52 years Born England Reg#6519

Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 06:52 GMT (UK) »
I am not seeing any Christiana/Christina/Christine NEED at all in Australia or England.  My resources are not as good as some, though, and I may well have missed her.  I wonder if her surname has been mistranscribed.  I'll have a better search with some alternate names tomorrow.

Please could you transcribe all of the information on the death certificate, and any other certificate you have for any of this family - sometimes it's the little details that can provide just the right clue.

Just an observation - according to the newspaper report of the inquest Christina was supposed to be 47-50.  If her son John was 3 at his death (1862) and Sarah (7 in 1864) then John's birthdate is abt 1859 and Sarah abt 1854 making Christina about 40 and 42 at the birth of these children - seems old to be having first children in those days.  Perhaps there were younger children or an earlier marriage/relationship  :-\

Judith

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk