Author Topic: Other Names for Mary  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Other Names for Mary
« on: Wednesday 14 July 04 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hello all.
Has anyone come across any alternative names, or nicknames, for Mary, used in IRELAND?  As this is a common name in families, I have found that women were often called by an alternative so there was less confusion.  For example, in Scotland, my mother's name is Mary but she is called Maisie as there were various Mary aunties.  

Also, my great, great, great grandfather's name is shown as William in all his children's certificates (death, marriage) in Scotland.  He remained in Ireland although his children moved over here.  Could it be possible that his name was John William * but he was known as William, his middle name, and his children recorded him as that, or would they have had to use his first name, John?  My g,g,grandfather was William, but his elder brother was John.  (There may have been other brothers who died or stayed in Ireland.)   I ask this as I can find a John Geoghegan married to a Mary McCormick in Ireland, but no William Geoghegan married to a Mary McCormick.  I am looking at all possibilities.

Looking for Wiliam (?) Geoghegan married to Mary McCormick in Ireland c 1840.

Any suggestions welcome
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Other Names for Mary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 09:36 BST (UK) »
It is my theory that nothing is new.  If you can thing of it then it probably happened.  For example, My uncle was John Michael, he was called Micky as his father was John but Grandad was called Jock or Jack depending if he was north or south of the Solway. So no one actually got called John!

Irish Marys have the following variants...

Maire (can't work out how to do the accented a ???)
Mariam
Maria
Marion
Marian
Molly
Mollie
Moira
Maura

I'm sure there would be more but these are the standard listed ones.

Cheers,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, thanks for replying.  I know the problem with the John thing.  My grandad was Jock, my dad is 'Big John' or 'Maisie's John' (referring to my mother), his grandfather was John, and a cousin is 'Young John', and another cousin is Johnny (who used to be 'Young John' until the other cousin was born).  My mother's brother is 'John in America'.  I vowed if I every had a son he would be called Sean.  Johns, Williams and Ians feature BIG in my family and it is very confusing.

Marys are another problem.  Apparently there was a major falling out between my maternal grandmother and her sister as, when my mother was born she was supposed to be called after my grandmother's mother.  However, my grandmother's next oldest sister got in there first by having a daughter 2 months before my mother was born and 'stealing' the name.  They never spoke again and they both lived into their late 80s.  (They had 10 siblings!!)

It would be good to know if anyone has actually come across a case where the children recorded their father's name as his middle name rather than his first name on official documents before I pursue the John Geoghegan theory.

I am going to try the Mary variations you listed (so many Mary McCormick's; so little time!!)   ::)

Thanks
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;

Offline Jenny Elizabeth

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 18:09 BST (UK) »
May was often used as a diminutive for Mary.   I seem to remember one of Queen Victoria's children or grandchildren was known as Princess May although her name was actually Mary. 

Jenny
I am interested in Angliss and variants anywhere but particularly Coventry and the rest of  Warwickshire.   Also interested in Cramp and Burnett (Warwickshire) and Hayward (Lower Slaughter, Gloucestershire)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 18:14 BST (UK) »
My grandmother, although christened, Mary was known as DOLL.  Many girls who were christened MARY ANN(E) were either refered to as Mary or Ann, very confusing & inconsiderate of them when we are searching the records :)
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 19:06 BST (UK) »
Have been hunting like mad for a Polly and a Winifred (sisters to my great grandmother), and today had confirmation that they were in fact born Frances Mary and Sallie Winnie!!

Bel
Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area

Offline irene. seabrook

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 21:22 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was named Mary but always called Polly, her father was Irish. The only time she was Mary was on her birth and death certificate. Regards Irene

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 21:40 BST (UK) »
My gran was also called Mary but she was only ever known as Polly  to everyone                                              Regards Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 July 04 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your suggestions guys.  I am going to try these.  I am also going to consider John for her husband as he may have been John William.  It's a pity the parents didn't come over with their children as this would have made things a lot easier but then, things are rarely easy in this game.

Good luck with your research.
Lesley