Author Topic: (*On hold for now*)Can you help me decipher family relationship here?  (Read 18455 times)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me decipher family relationship here?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 February 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
oh my!
my mind is a whirl of Marys!!

My gr grandfather on his birth reg has Martin Wallace as father and Mary Mulcarron as mother.
BUT just to confuse people ... on his death cert, his father is named as John Wallace and his mother is Mary Dickson !!!  The registrant was his daughter, who may not have known John's parentage.

btw my gr grandfather was born Feb 18 1878 and died March 15, 1942
So so so confusing
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 February 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
argh
am trying to attach pic of birth and death .... bear with me .....
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »

But in this 1881 - there is no Martin aged 11 as per aged 1 in 1871 - could this Maggie be that Martin  ???

there is a death of a Martin Wallace in Govan in 1871 (maybe after the census 1871?) of for a Martin in Govan who might fit....

Lorraine, can't explain the surname changes unfortunately  :-\ But at least some, seem connected.

You could compare the marriage dates for parents on some of the marriage dates to check for a match?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Helping Lorraine attach the birth entry for her g grandfather John Wallace b. 1878. When he died in 1942, his daughter reported his death and unfortunately made mistakes on his parents' names, but all other details confirm it is the right death entry for him.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Good, so now we have an occupation for John's father Martin & an address in 1878. If the original records of baptism for the other children can be viewed, we could confirm or eliminate the baptisms Monica found on familysearch with mothers Cairns & Murphy as being siblings.

Has Lorraine looked on SP for the 1871 census & that Martin's occupation & whether it actually states widower?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey  :)

Not sure apart for birth and death for John b. 1878 what other documents the family have collected.

Lorraine, given the period that you are in for Scottish birth certs, one check you could do perhaps would be to check the 1870 birth of Martin Wallace, where mother Mary showed as Mary MURPHY, and perhaps one of the births where mother then showed as Mary CAIRNS. You certainly have your John with mother Mary MULCARRON.

Things to check for across all three different surnames for mother Mary (mulcarron/murphy/cairns) would be to see:

-  what details are given for parents' marriage date and place (see from John's in 1878 the source of marriage date of 2 Oct 1864 in Inverin, Galway).

- addresses of births/early deaths of children,  together with census addresses. The 1871 census entry that you have was at 26 Victoria Street. 1881 didn't include an address (original may?) but John's 1878 birth showed 32 Victoria Street. 1891 has them at 24 Victoria Street. Looks like the family lived at different properties in Victoria Street Govan for quite a long time.

- Martin Wallace's occupation seems pretty constant: dock/ship/boat yard labourer.

There are lots of cross checks there that could be done. Pity though, these have to be done via pay to view on Scotlands People. At least you have a lot of the key dates/locations which is always a big help, so for £7GB you can search/view up to 5 images.

Monica  :)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes. so much to double check.
Definitely on the 1871 census, Martin Wallace is noted as "widr"

why would the family move a couple of doors down or up on the same street as the various census show?

I will look thru the other docs we have to see if I can narrow this down a bit.
Thank you so much for your help/interest in this!!
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:55 GMT (UK) »
You have had a good response on another forum which is great as it fits well with what we are seeing over in Govan

.....I could only find one Martin Wallace marriage in 1864 in Co. Galway. The spouse is shown as Mary Kearns which is somewhat close to Mulcarron......

Still need to figure out Murphy though and how that all links up  ;D

Families at this time did move around the street and locality a lot, specially in the big Cities. They were renting rooms in multi occupancy occupation in the main I would guess. They are pretty good to stay on the same street though!

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 February 14 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you viewed Martin Snr's death or wife Mary (under which surname  ::)) I saw this old post here http://genforum.genealogy.com/wallace/messages/10635.html

Wondered what the death reg for Martin may say about  his wife/ves names (if known to the informant). As you have seen with your g grandfather John's death in 1942, informants make mistakes and omissions  :-\ What did your ggrandfather John's marriage certs x 2 wives say regarding his parents' names? Witnesses names to these marriages?

It is all there Lorraine, I think  :P You might just be working with some mixed up info here....

Monica