Author Topic: John Paterson Hogg (1859-1933) and Dorothy Phillips (?-?)  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John Paterson Hogg (1859-1933) and Dorothy Phillips (?-?)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 February 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
A marriage between a James Hogg and a Margaret Byrne in Blythswood Glasgow in 1934

I have actually looked at every marriage of a James Hogg to a Margaret in Scotland between 1916 and 1963. This James H was an iron works labourer, the son of John H, iron tube screwer, and Janet Longmuir.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 February 14 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, you are very thorough always so just asking the obvious questions really!

Re James Augustus b. 1900, have you checked for wills & testaments to check for any mention of any children (are you expecting children from his first marriage?!). Death notices, etc? Guess nothing of note to help you in respect of who the informant was to his death?

Any addresses for him through the later years to help you check for voters rolls etc?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 February 14 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Further details here www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=65702911 and www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2843735/RICE,%20ARTHUR%20SAMUEL

Sure you have this, just the gathering of data here with the family details.

Monica

Added: Much better photo here from RC member apanderson http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic229-0.html From Anne's photo, likely only daughter from this marriage? Line right at the bottom.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 February 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I have yet to check for a will - it's something that has to be done in the NAS. And that will have to wait until I find my reader's ticket, which I carefully put somewhere so safe before I went to New Zealand that I now can't find it :(

I have seen and photographed the stone in Larbert Kirkyard. Major Rice actually died on Larbert golf course of a heart attack, not on the field of battle. There was only ever the one daughter. My mother and her cousin both knew the Rices quite well, though they lost touch later on. Phyllis was their second cousin, and I have family albums with photographs of all of them.

The informant on J A P Hogg's death certificate was a friend, Dorothy Ramsay.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Update: I just searched for given names James Augustus, no surname, birth in March quarter on 1900. Lo and behold, there is a birth of James Augustus P Paterson in Scarborough! So I have e-mailed the North Yorkshire registrars to ask them if this is indeed James Augustus Paterson Hogg. I would also like to ask if the birth has been incorrectly indexed  ???

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 01:46 BST (UK) »
1st of me reading this thread but can feel the shock & excitement  ;D

Isn't it a great feeling when determination takes over & wins  ???

You're lucky Forfarian where the middle name Augustus is concerned.

With such a long name he could easily have been recorded with only the initials of the middle names.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
You're lucky Forfarian where the middle name Augustus is concerned.
With such a long name he could easily have been recorded with only the initials of the middle names
Also, lucky that he was born when the England and Wales indexes do include the full name.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
I daresay you have seen this, Forfarian, but the Groindexes have his name as James Augustus Phillips Paterson and mother's maiden name as Phillips. (Sacrborough Jan- Mar 1900).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks, William. I got a very carefully worded reply from the North Yorkshire registrar saying that the father's name on the birth certificate of James Augustus Phillips Paterson does not match the information I supplied. So I have ordered a copy of it from the GRO to see what it does tell me.