Author Topic: Locating Where Steamship Engineer Grandfather Death Registered?  (Read 702 times)

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Locating Where Steamship Engineer Grandfather Death Registered?
« on: Sunday 16 February 14 06:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate where my Grandfathers death would have been registered? He worked as a steamship engineer and so could have possibly been at Sea when he died. His wife and children lived in Handsworth, Birmingham, England. I have managed to pin his date of death down to being somewhere between 1923 and 1928. I would like to know where his death would require to be registered being if he was at Sea when he died. Would it be Handsworth where he and wife and children lived or would it be at the registrar office closest to wherever he was when he died, even if in let's say America at the time? Would love to be able to be able to get held of a copy of his death cert and find where his grave was. Any help on where to direct my efforts to be able to find where his death was registered and thus be able to get a copy of his death cert would be greatly appreciated.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Where Steamship Engineer Grandfather Death Registered?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 14 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Deaths have to be registered (in the UK, at least) in the Registration District in which the death took place.

If that was overseas, then maybe it would have been reported as such - GRO Overseas Deaths available on FindMyPast.

By the way - death certificates hold no information regarding the burial! ::)
For that you will need the Parish Record burial register.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Where Steamship Engineer Grandfather Death Registered?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
There are also marine death indexes if he died aboard ship, providing that the ship he was on was registered British.

It's important to make it clear that not every overseas death was registered.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=666438.0
 - I see from this and other threads that you've been strugging to find Sidney/Sydney for some time
That he is not listed as deceased on the 1923 death certificate of his son is not itself proof he was still alive at that point, as he clearly wasn't present .  In fact, the 1928 remarriage does not prove he was deceased at that point.

There are certificates of competency for engineers in the merchant marine - this would require a trip to the NA in London, I believe.  The indexes are in BT 141.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk