Author Topic: help needed re Barrett/Dowd marriage  (Read 11219 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help needed re Barrett/Dowd marriage
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 20 February 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear about the birth certificate. Have finished the previous post and will let it all sink in before posting more  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 20 February 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Tara,
I had a look at that burial for a Sarah Barrett in 1907. She was a labourer's wife (possibly Thomas'?). The informant of the death was Margaret Taaffe. This turned out to be her mother. The family are at 8 St Augustine's Street on the 1901 census. The address at burial is 20 Carman Hall. I had a look and on the 1908 electoral register Stephen Taaffe (Sarah's dad) is registered there. He occupies a shop and parlour. There is a marriage for a Sarah Taaffe in 1906 but can't see if she married Thomas Barrett. It all keeps coming back to Carman Hall. Sarah died 9th Jan 1907 at 20 Carman Hall. On 20th January 1907 Mary Barrett is born to Eliza and Thomas Barrett with an address of 1 Carman Hall.

Curiouser and curiouser  ???
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 20 February 14 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The marriage for Sarah Anne Taaffe was Oct./Dec.1906 and there's no Barrett on same page  :-\

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 20 February 14 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amy,

HA my kids are on mid term so I didn't get to the computer as early as I would have liked !

Anywho, looks like Aghadowey has given you lots to work on (well done Aghadowey).

I think you might need to park Sarah Barrett for a mo - I'm worried she might be a red herring.

The Sarah that married in 1906 is this girl

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Wood_Quay/Longwood_Avenue/1308595/

This is the marriage

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/41f0200006098

I think you've more than enough to be working on for now !

I'll have a poke around and see does anything else crop up !

Tara

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 20 February 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Good team work  ;D

The Sarah that married in 1906 is this girl
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Wood_Quay/Longwood_Avenue/1308595/
This is the marriage
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/41f0200006098

The groom was indexed as Blake in civil index which is why I'd trouble making the match but at least she can be eliminated  :)

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 20 February 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, so I have copied out all the information you guys have unearthed. I'm going to start sifting through it to see what I can verify. As it is, I know Elizabeth's parents and address and from there I'll start double checking. I had a look at the John Dowd 1890 Glasnevin. He was a housepainter. He was 58 at time of death making his birth circa 1832, a tad early perhaps but ages are fluid. I have the cousin with the birth cert checking if there is a father's occupation on there.

Next; am I right in thinking that Kathleen on the census and Catherine are one and the same person?
Also are we thinking John and Jane are dead by 1901 because I can't find them on either census and it would explain the girls living with their aunt and uncle?

Amy

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 21 February 14 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amy,

Sorry for not getting back yesterday. I had gotten a lead on my own tree and got obsessed with it LOL !

Yes, I would be under the presumption that John & Jane had passed away by 1901.

BTW when you have gotten records from Glasnevin are you just getting the one record, for example with John Dowd . . . . . was there the option to buy the image and buy the extended record . . . . . the are only about 2 euro each in addition and they give you SOOOO many leads.

When you get the extended record you can see everyone whom is in the same grave. While there are times when it will be a 'paupers' grave and no other relations in it, more times than not you will have spouses and children together. I have gotten SOOOO many leads this way - especially of children that I didn't even know existed.

Also I buy the image if at all possible - again this has given me super leads - for example if someone passed away in hospital, a lot of the time the death cert will just be an informant from the hospital, where as with the image from the burial record you will see whom actually got the person buried.

Hope this helps !

Tara

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 21 February 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi tara, so great that you got a lead. Hope it was a good one :-) i had a look and the standard record and the image. It says he died of "general debility". The informant was a Joseph Nugent of the same address in aungier street. No idea who that is yet, maybe a son in law or something. I'll check out the others buried in the grave later. Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Amy

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
I had left this branch of my family tree alone for a while because when I got back a generation or two beyond Jane Lennon/Hendrick/Dowd I couldn't find many records because marriages, deaths etc happened before civil registration. I still don't have occupations for most of the new members of my tree but I will persevere.

I recently started digging again though and got back a decent bit. When I searched Henry Dowd's burial in Glasnevin I found that he was buried alongside an Eleanor Dixon aged ninety (in 1856). I assumed this was his mother in law. So with Mary Dixon marrying Henry in 1838 I assumed she was born in the 1810s. So I searched for a Mary Dixon with a mother Eleanor and father possibly John (this is what she named her son). I found a baptism in 1812 in St Nicholas with father John Dixon and mother Eleanor Nicholson. I also found a brother born 1792. With a little bit of messing around I found the marriage of Jno Dixon and Er Nichleson in St Nicholas in 1787 : ) I know this alll seems a little tenuous but I think it is right. Just have to try and verify it now. I thing this is the furthest back I have gotten on this side of my tree.

Thanks again to everyone who helped find info on the "new" Elizabeth Dowd and her family.

Amy