Author Topic: Edward Kell Kennedy  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Kell Kennedy
« on: Tuesday 18 February 14 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Help! I do not know where to start! I am trying to trace my mother's cousin, Edward Kell Kennedy, who emigrated to Canada and then moved to Punta Gorda in Florida. Edward was born in 1916 in larne, Northern Ireland, and married Elizabeth Gordon in 1953 in Northern Ireland. He emigrated in the late 1950s/early 1960s. He had one son, (*).

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Kell Kennedy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 14 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I did not see any definite information regarding Edward's death.  With such a common name involved, you would likely need an exact date of birth or an approximate date of death to locate him on the Social Security Death Index or Florida Death Index, which are available on www.familysearch.org.

Offline mwylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 15 02:16 BST (UK) »
Help! I do not know where to start! I am trying to trace my mother's cousin, Edward Kell Kennedy, who emigrated to Canada and then moved to Punta Gorda in Florida. Edward was born in 1916 in larne, Northern Ireland, and married Elizabeth Gordon in 1953 in Northern Ireland. He emigrated in the late 1950s/early 1960s. He had one son, (*).

Although Edward's birth record has not been viewed, it would be a fair assumption to say that he was the son of Robert Kennedy and Mary Jane Kell [Kells in marriage record] who were married in Larne District on 19 June 1903.
Census of 1911 shows family at house 14 Newington Avenue, Larne.
Robert was absent from house; wife Mary Jane, daughters Maggie & Mary [twins] and Annie Kennedy and Mary Jane's brothers Edward, Robert and Samuel Kell.

Census of 1901 shows Kells (sic) family at house 55 in Old Glenarm Road, Larne.
Head is Edward Kells and there is also another son Alexander present.
Edward is a widower, [his wife's name was Jane Craig and they were married on 22 Nov 1875 in Larne district.]

Nothing yet for Robert Kennedy except that his occupation was "fireman" on daughter Annie's birth certificate and that his father's name was John Kennedy.

A Mary Kennedy, father Robert, married Thomas McMorran, father Matthew, on 15 October 1920 in Larne.

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, mwylie, for your information. I had seen the censuses and have been piecing it altogether. Didn't know that Robert was a fireman, though. He went to Canada after Annie's birth and apparently died there. I do not know how or where. Any ideas how to find out? I do not think that he is Edward's father  - has just taken the surname. I know we can't discuss living relatives but Edward had a son. Any ideas how to trace living persons?  Thank you.

Offline mwylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Edward Kell Kennedy
Birth registered in Larne/Larne District
October to December quarter 1916

GRONI index record has birth date of 22 November 1916
There is no mother's maiden name on this record which is
a likely indication that Edward was illegitimate.

Details of the birth record are now available for online purchase from GRONI.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Sadly nothing that I could see on the SSDI (1935 - 2014) for that name and birth date -

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, mwylie and Sandra for the information. It's been a while since I posted re Edward but I am grateful for your help, although I have found out quite a bit about him over the past two years especially as GRONI are now online. Sorry, but what is SSDI, please?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »

social security death index.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I couldn't work that one out! I shall keep trying to find out Edward's death. It is around 1990 I think.