Author Topic: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?  (Read 14176 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 March 14 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Found this that you might like to bookmark  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fordingtondorset/Files/Glossary.html
It should answer all of your questions!

In fact I've bookmarked it myself  :)

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 March 14 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane:  Thank you for sharing the link.  I've read through it and it does answer a lot of questions!  I, too, will save it for future reference.  Thank you.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 March 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I've bookmarked it too. Thanks Jane :D

Lisa
I will have a look for Vaus wills next time I go to the RO. Let me know if you need any parish register entries checked.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 March 14 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Jan, thank you so much for the offer.

I would like to study all of the information in this thread to determine the probability that John Vaus/Vause and Elizabeth Sheffield were the parents of "my" William Vaus (c1720-1796) and to see if I can make sure that my ancestor was not the son of John Vaus, born 1715.

The last time I researched this family I didn't know of the existence of the other Vaus' in the area.  I made a mistake once with my Ovens ancestor, believing him to be the son of someone only to find out many years later that while he most likely is connected to the Ovens family, he isn't the "son" (he possibly is a cousin).  I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

May I ask, please, if it might be possible to find out anything about my Cooper branch?  I have details about Mary Cooper (she married William Vaus' grandson) and can give you my details if you would be able to have a look.

Thank you very much for your kind offer of checking the wills and to look up a parish register entry.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 March 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

I've had a look at your Cooper thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=427082.0

I'm happy to see what I can find. If there are indexed transcripts for Shipley I can easily do a broad search but if I have to look at the fiche I'll need a clear idea of what you'd like checked please.

I can also do a check for Cooper wills as they are indexed.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 March 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan:

Thank you so much for extending your offer for the Coopers.  I will look through my notes to see if there is a need to look through the registers.

We are just on our way out; I will return to this thread later today.  Of course I've stopped and started researching through the years, but I started researching around 1978 - finding additional information now is amazing.  (It's been a long time)   ;)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Lisa

They have Shipley transcripts - a quick looks showed a lot of Coopers, so let me know if you need anything.

I looked through the various will indexes - apart from the 1796 one you already  for William this was the only possible relevant one, perhaps a brother?

John Vaus yeo Itchingfield 1814 STC 1 /47 Pg568

They have the STC ref ones on fiche so I could take a quick look next time. Let me know.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan:  Thank you for having a look for me.  I’ve had to stop concentrating on genealogy for a bit due to family issues.  I am still trying to determine if the Vaus information that was found was for certain my Vaus’.  I think I might concentrate on the Coopers again, and give the Vaus’ a rest for awhile.  Thank you for your continued interest.

ps  I will check out that John Vaus, though.   :)
William's (born c1720) first son was named John - perhaps it could be his will.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 March 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Just let me know if you want anything checked once you get back to your family history.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale