Author Topic: Cemetery lookup -Marr, Llanstephan 1877?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline egardon113

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cemetery lookup -Marr, Llanstephan 1877?
« on: Saturday 08 March 14 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for any information that might be on the memorial stone for JOHN MARR, died 12 Jan 1877 aged 58, buried Llanstephan 19 Jan 1877; born Scotland; lived Island House, Pembrokeshire (that last from the burials record online at findmypast).
Any help or suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
Marr; Booth; Smith; May; Strachan; Allison in Aberdeenshire; Banffshire; Kincardineshire; Wigtownshire.

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery lookup -Marr, Llanstephan 1877?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 March 14 15:42 GMT (UK) »
if I may ask what info are hoping to get off the stone?

Offline egardon113

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 March 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Whatever is inscribed there, but ideally an exact date of birth (unlikely!) also any of the other family members recorded on the same memorial stone.
Marr; Booth; Smith; May; Strachan; Allison in Aberdeenshire; Banffshire; Kincardineshire; Wigtownshire.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the Llanstephan you are looking for is in Carmarthenshire?
Llanstephan is in Powys
Llansteffan is in Carmarthenshire
Though speling may have changed over time.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
After my last post, I looked in the census and it said Carmarthenshire. Today after work I made a detour and called at Llansteffan church. I walked around and looked for John Marr, but so many are badly worn, others broken and an area has been set aside for nature conservation, though the shrubbery was in other places as well. I could find no grave. In 1877, he would be one of the first buried if he at this church, as it was only a few years after the church was built. It may be chapel, or there may not be a headstone, that would apply to my grandfather. Llansteffan church is linked to others like St Martin’s in Laugharne, with staff who tour around. There is a Facebook page Friends of Llansteffan Church (ff not ph). They might know if there is a written copy of the gravestones.