Author Topic: Help Needed for Earle Albert Whyte - Batavia, New York  (Read 2298 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Help Needed for Earle Albert Whyte - Batavia, New York
« on: Wednesday 22 June 05 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to track down a birth for my grandfather for many many years.  The problem is that I don't know which documents he told the truth on. 

His marriage certificate dated 1930 - he lists being born Batavia, New York
His death certificate dated 1972 - Saskatchewan

I do have documents dated 1928 where he states he is an American and from New York.  Documents dated 1938 it says his parents are alive and living in Batavia. Then I have documents dated 1954 wherein he states that he is Canadian and has no family.

Also, his age dosn't seem to be right on any of them, so he was born between 1900 and 1905. 

My grandmother, who he married in 1930 was Canadian, so perhaps he thought he was Canadian by default?

I have sent a request to the New York State Vital Records and they came back with no birth information, but that was about 10 years ago and I can't remember what exact date I used, more than likely 1905 and I believe they search a couple of years before and after.  I have also requested birth certificates from Saskatchewan and Manitoba (another place he listed) and there was no registration for him.

My mother, his daughter, says all she knew is that her father was from Batavia, New York, which is really a small town. 

His full name is Earle Albert Whyte and he was born September 17, 1905(?).  His name has been the same all the way through, except other people have written it Earl and White.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed for Earle Albert Whyte - Batavia, New York
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Batavia is in Genesee Co. in western NY state between Buffalo and Rochester.  It is within a 100 +  miles of the Canadian border and Ontario and Ottowa would be the closest provinces.  Manitoba and Saskatchewan are further west and central Canada. 

Do you have Earle's Parents, siblings, wife's name/birthdate/location and the names of any children with any birthdates or locations?   

A few hits came up for the name in a variety of combinations for western NY areas that are close to Batavia.  Nothing dead on for Earle Albert Whyte but several Albert mi Whyte which is why name of other family members might help.

kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

I have been to Batavia.  It's about a four hour drive from here where I live in Ontario, Canada.

I do have all my grandmother's information as well as my mother and her brother.  They were all born in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. 

My grandmother's name was Violet Mary Bowman, born August 1907.  She was the daughter of Mary Heffernan and John W. Bowman.

I have begged and pleaded with my mother many times to try and remember something.  The only thing she'll recalls is that he said he was from Batavia and he had a sister she looked liked.  That's it.  I get mad at my mother and say "why don't you know", she says, "you just didn't ask questions".

Perhaps he may be found in the 1900-1920 US census?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, Oops!!! Sorry for the geography lesson --  didn't know you were Canadian!    Your post was of interest  'cause I lived in Buffalo so kinda know the geography.

Have 3 or 4 opportunities to find him  1900 (very doubtful unless bd of 1900-1905 isn't  true either!  1910 w/ parents, 1920 and 1930

Earle's wife is Violet b. 1907 in Guelph and she m. Earle in 1930 in Batavia. 
Violet's parents are  John & Mary (Hefferman) Bowman,  they are from Batavia??

But you don't know Earle's parent names - Or any bros or sis's names?  Do I have it correct?

Okay, fingers crossed!   

bye Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

Yes, Earle's wife is Violet b. 1907 in Guelph, Ontario.  They were married in Guelph, Ontario in Dec. 1930.

Violets father John is from Fenelon Falls, Ontario and mother, Mary is from Guelph, Ontario.  I havn't found out were they were married yet, I am actually leaning towards Rochester, New York right now.  Their first son Joseph Bowman was born in 1903.  I have them both on the 1891 census for Canada, but cannot find them in 1901 CDN census, but in 1903 are back in Guelph till the die.  Mary Heffernan had a brother, Charles Heffernan who lived in Rochester, New York.

Yes, you are right that I don't know anything about Earle's parents or siblings.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 17:01 BST (UK) »
Karen,

Virtually no Hits on Earle Whyte or Earle Albert Whyte  but lots for Albert Whyte.
Was endeavouring to find an Earle within a family unit but came up zero. 

Which name did he use most commonly? 

Think none of this fits but some more interesting inconsistencies

1920 Niagara Co., Wheatfield, NY    Sweeney Street
Charles W. Andres  Head 20 b. NY  F: Ger  M: NY     Machinist @ Auto Plant
Violet Andres  Wife    31 b. Canada  F: Scot M: Eng
Albert G. Whyte Brother in Law  22  <1898> b. in Canada 
F: Scot M: Eng  Laborer @ Roofing Co., 

Neither Violet and Albert are naturalized citizens.

1930 Erie Co. Tonawanda, NY    Adams Street
Albert G. Whyte Head 33 <1897> b. in Canada  M/F: Canada  Immi:  1913     Naturalized    Profession:  Sawyer [sic] in Wood Box Shop  Veteren: No     
Age 26 when married
Alice G. Whyte  Wife 29 b. in Canada  M/F: Canada  Immi: 1923    Naturalized   
Age 22 when married
Dau Margaret A   2         b. NY
Son Albert H. Jr.  6 mos  b. NY

Tons of Heffernan in NY but only found 1 in Monroe Co., Rochester in 1910

Thomas J. Heffernan  40 b. Ire    M/F: Ire  Immi:  1881 Carpenter for Railroad 
Age 21 when married
Elizabeth W.  Wife     39 b. Ire    M/F: Ire  Immi: 1872   Age 21 when married
Son, ???ctus W.  (can not make out)  20 b. NY   Shoe Salesman
Florence A  18 b. NY  Press something? Setter?  at Lithography Co.
John W.      16  b. NY Grocery Salesman
Loretta S    14 b. NY
Raymond T.  10  b. NY
Thomas W      2 yrs approx.  b. NY

Did not find John W. Heffernan in 1920 or 1930 in Rochester to see if he married Mary and had children Mary and Charles.

sorry.....
Good Luck
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

Thanks very much for looking.  He went by the name Earle, well actually his nickname which was "Whytee".

I know none of them went to the USA after 1930.  I think I will have to take a drive down to the library again in Batavia and spend the day looking at their information.  It's been about 10 years since I was there, so I am sure, they have alot more resources available today.

Thanks again,
Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 June 05 18:19 BST (UK) »
Karen, have you called or emailed the library to see if they have Genealogy Dept./ Librarian  ---  most do now days and volunteers that do look ups.  I had good luck with this in my own case.

Small town readers love obitutaries!   They are often elaborate and very newsy.  So you might find mention of Earle's family that way.

kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline chloespop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 September 05 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I have a Genesee County Directory for 1917-1922.  Listed are Joseph and Inez Whyte living at 421 E. Main St. in Batavia. They have one child, but it doesn't give a name. Might be Earle.

Fred Smith