Author Topic: Pheobe Ellen Ferniough  (Read 9212 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Pheobe Ellen Ferniough
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 March 14 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the early date was the Banns.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 March 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot again the information that you have found, it was brilliant.
I had really wanted the 1861 census information. I would have thought she was some sort of relative to the Lomas`s as she is living there over two consecutive censuses, however thanks to Trish & Marg it appears not.
I will have to splash out and buy a wedding cert. I have had  to look at the Staffordshire BMD under Ellen  Ferniough but nothing for 1842 - 1844 I even rang Buxton registry office but they said that they had no Ferniough girls for those years.
Obviously this one is going to take some time to figure out.
Thanks again

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for finding the thread I am not very good at working that sort of thing out.
On one of the census it says she`s a boarder so I wonder if the family were paid to look after her? Instead of her going to a workhouse?
I don`t really know what they did in those days as I assume that she was illegitimate.
I have been unable to find her father`s name from either of her wedding certificates (which I have got since my last request)  I presume that means she is illegitimate.
There was a ellen fernyough born at Norton in 1839 now the place would fit because it is near Leek however the year doesn`t fit.

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Members may have not lost interest in this one, however I have just spoke to Staffordshire archives to get a little information with respect the poor laws and if parentless children were boarded out.
The archivist asked if I had looked for baptisms.
I had but only on Free reg, could anyone have a look for a baptism for Pheobe Ellen Ferniough born around 1843?
I would be really graftefull

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 11:47 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at this from a different angle.

Given that Phoebe says she was born in Leek in at least one census, I looked for Fernehoughs in Staffordshire. There is this birth:

Jane Fernehough baptised 22 November 1825 Waterfall Staffs. Parents Charles and PHOEBE. Could that be "our" Phoebe's mother and grandparents? Unusual names - co-incidence?

Following that Jane in 1841 she is with her father, but in 1851 she is working as a servant in LEEK.

HO107; Piece: 2008; Folio: 201; Page: 28

I wonder if she had Phoebe Ellen and then the Lomas family fostered her?

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
There is a possible marriage that may be Pheobes mother

Elizabeth Fernihough married Joseph Barnes 1844 All Saints, Glossop FreeBMD 1/4 Hayfield 19 437

Now interestingly Ancestry also has a marriage of an Elizabeth Fernihough 22.4.1844 Ipstone Staffs to a James B...? both fathers called James on FreeBMD this is spelt Fernihogh and it is a James Bennett

If she has Pheobe about 1843 this would be before she married James or Joseph

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
The Ipstone marriage on 22 August 1844, is between James Bennison and Elizabeth Fernihogh and is detailed on FreeBMD in Cheadle Registration District, in September quarter.  Although the handwriting on the parish entry is so atrocious (FindMyPast), it could by anything.  :o :o

The Glossop marriage is as detailed by Willow 4873.

AND just to add even more confusion, there is a third marriage for Elizabeth Fernihough - to Japheth Abbott at St Edward, Leek in 1845.  Image is not available, yet, on FindMyPast.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information.
I would have thought that Pheobe`s mother never married her father as she never states her fathers name on either of her weddings certificates ie first Husband Isaac Wain 1864 and 2nd Husband  William Bennet (1879) (this name keeps cropping up strange if her mother had married a Bennet)
Still wonder if it is worth persueing the baptism route.
However one of my relatives was not baptised till she was 15, again she was illegitimate.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
My gut instinct, with the repetition of the name Pheobe Fernehough, is that her mother is the Jane who was a servant in Leek in 1851. Possibly, if she was illegitimate, she wasn't registered or baptised.