Author Topic: Monumental Scultures In Aston Area  (Read 7654 times)

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monumental Scultures In Aston Area
« on: Friday 14 March 14 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of any of the monumental sculpture stonemasons whom existed and operated in the Aston area of Birmingham? I am looking to see if I can make contact with the one whom made my Great Uncles Grave in Aston Churchyard, as would like to get info from record pertaining to it. He died in 1923 which I know is a long time ago, but am hoping if the Stone masons in question still exist, then records may still exist from that time. Anyways his Gravestone at some point mysteriously vanished from the Churchyard, have been able to find through monumental records what inscription was, but still unsure as to exact location of Grave in Churchyard. Would like to visit and pay respects someday, with him being my Grandads brother. Also would like to get my Great Grandfathers address, as he almost certainly would have paid for it and he also vanishes between his sons death in 1923 and his wife marrying again in 1928. So am hoping may get clue as to what happened to him, he was a Steamship Engineer, so could tell me name of Ship he worked on at time and help me work out what happened to him. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Scultures In Aston Area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
The church will have a plan of the graveyard and should be able to pinpoint where he is buried
I doubt you will find stonemasons records but if you go to the churchyard you may find the stonemasons name carved on the rear of the stones or on the grave surrounds.
Headstones do in fact vanish often they become unsafe and are removed often they just fall and break into dozens of pieces which have to be removed for grass cutting etc.
At my local church family have had a grave reopened the headstone is taking away to have an additional inscription the family change their mind and it's never returned.
R

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 March 14 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Well I thought that there must have been a plan of the Churchyard myself, if nothing else then for the Grave diggers and when on occasion there have been burials over the years. After all they would not want to dig up someone's unmarked Grave upon digging a new Grave for example would they?! Anyways the Administrator of Aston Church whom I won't name here, has been very unhelpful in my quest to locate my Great Uncles Grave, she hadn't returned phonecalls, ignored emails etc and generally just been a pain to deal with. She has said that all burial, marriage and baptism records have been passed on to Birmingham Library as they didn't have room to store there records and to contact them. However Birmingham Library take a time to deal with and they also want money for telling you such information. Which I believe such information should be for the public to access free and not have to pay for such information. Besides I know for a fact from records and the monumental sculpture listings of Aston Churchyard that I have obtained that my Uncle is buried here and even know what his Gravestone said. However I don't believe the Library would contain the information informing me of the exact location of his Grave. Also it has to be said as my Uncle was just twelve years old when he died, that his Gravestone would have been fairly small and so therefore more likely to have still been standing today. However I wonder if Vandals, kids or a drunk late at night may have  caused somehow or other the disappearance of this headstone. So am hoping as unlikely as it may be that I can get in touch with the original Stone masons and access there records which am hoping can give me an exact location of where his Grave would be. I would come down and physically look through the Churchyard myself, although I now live in the States and don't get back too often. However if the Grave was indeed destroyed, then any remaining stone, May have been thrown away regardless. Not sure what my other options would be in helping me find my Uncles Grave? Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Will PM you
R

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 March 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message, no it would have been a small grave, probably either flat or possibly freestanding, no other Family was buried there strangely. Don't think there would be any death notices in Newspaper but anything possible. He died in local HOspital on steakhouse Lane, Aston. Don't know where to go next, May try to write to local Vicar as you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 March 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Steelhouse Lane and not Steakhouse, this auto correct is ridiculous! Lol.

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 March 14 15:38 GMT (UK) »
What was his name & death date will see if there are any newspapers available for that time

Offline ashhill80

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 March 14 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, appreciate that. His name was Cyril Percival Hill whom died Sept 1923 aged 12 years old. I am also looking for anything relating to his father's death also, his name was Sidney or possibly spelt Sydney Hill and he died sometime between his Sons Death and his Wife marrying in June 1928. He was born around 1867 and his wife and obviously also Mother of Cyril was Mary. They lived at Wenlock Rd. Sydney however worked as an Engineer on a Steamship so could have been abroad when he died. Anyways appreciate your giving of time to help greatly.

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 March 14 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking at street directories for the time.
Monumental stonemasons would have advertised, although not all of them did.
You should be able to see which ones were working in the locality at the time.