Author Topic: CAMPBELLS of Kendal  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CAMPBELLS of Kendal
« on: Saturday 15 March 14 04:59 GMT (UK) »

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a lead on a Graham Campbell of Kendal who was visiting family in Portsmouth around the time of the First World War.

My gt gt uncle referred to him as "cousin Graham", but I can't find him on any census etc.

Are there any Campbells in Kendal who have him in their tree, as I'd love to understand the connection?

:)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELLS of Kendal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
"of Kendal" does not necessarily mean he was born there - he may have lived there at the time

Have you researched your Gt Gt uncles ancestry to see if it leads back to a Campbell connection?

If you check freebmd for Graham Cambell births - there are none in Westmorland who would have been old enough to be an uncle during WW1

There are no deaths for that name post-WW1 in Westmorland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 14 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
1891 Census gives only one "Graham"
Graham D Campbell
Boarder scholar b1875 Hoddesdon Hertfordshire
Old Cottage Applethwaite Kendal

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 March 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
If the aforementioned 1891 Graham Campbell is your fella, then he's pretty easy to find in 1881 and 1901. Born c. 1874 in Hoddeston (or something like that) in Hertfordshire. He was living with siblings in Hertforeshire in 1881 and in Surrey in 1901. Got around, anyway.

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 14 01:40 GMT (UK) »

Thanks everyone for your quick replies - I shall certainly look into this Graham.

I have a couple of siblings of my gt gt gt grandfather who I've been unable to trace, and I think "cousin" Graham may have come from one of these lines, so this may open up a whole new br anch of the family tree. Apparently Graham was my grandfather's cousin, but it was my gt gt uncle (grandfather's brother, if that makes sense   ::)) who mentioned him in a letter, so I know he was real!

Thanks again - I'll let you know if I have any success

:) Billiegirl