Author Topic: Phil Taylor - Ice Skater  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Phil Taylor - Ice Skater
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 March 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
I'm so sorry for the delay in replying to you all - I've been unable to log in for a while.

Thank you so much all of you for the really helpful links - the information has been invaluable. We couldn't have found it without your help.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there were TWO Philip Taylors, Ice Skaters. The one who lost his leg in WWI was not the Philip Taylor I'm researching.  I also think the Philip Taylor born Southend on Sea is not related either.  "Our" Philip was supposedly born in London, but I can't find his birth or baptism there. His marriage is at least now defined - 29 November 1917, Wimbledon, and his father was George Henry Taylor, butcher.   
Thanks for everyone for their input.  I'm still hoping for a snippet of info which may link Philip with his ancestry.
Cheers,  Meredith

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 May 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Ship's passenger list has Phillip, Olwen and daughter Megan age 7, travelling from New York to Southampton arriving 26 Sept 1928. Intending to go to 19 Richmond avenue, Merton Park S W.

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 May 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Glenclare.  This could help track down something via that address in London. 
Meredith

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 May 14 13:14 BST (UK) »
I think I'm confused - did the Phil Taylor you're looking for have daughters by those names?

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 May 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Philip and his wife Jane Elizabeth Olwen nee Bricknell had one daughter - Megan Olwen Devenish Taylor, born 1920 in Wimbledon, London.  Philip married a second time in America, to Lois McCormack )and had two sons (Philip and Stephen).  For someone as famous as Philip and Megan ( both skated in the Winter Olympics and around the world ) I thought I'd be able to find a biography of them somewhere - but no luck so far.
Still digging!
Thanks for your interest - please keep delving for me?
Meredith

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 May 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
The obituary I linked to above seems to have a good deal of detail about his life.  It seems to say that he served in WWI with the Canadian army, so there may be some record of that if the ones mentioned above are incorrect.  As far as his family of birth, it mentions him being survived by a sister, a brother, a half-sister, & two half-brothers, so that may help with figuring out how the siblings fit together. 

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 May 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Shelley.  Yes, I've got these people sketched out on a tree, but just can't get any further.  I think I may have exhausted the on-line records now, as the wonderful Rootschatters would have found something new by now. 
Thanks to you, and all those who have contributed to my search efforts - this forum is just amazing, the way it has people all over the world chatting and helping each other out. 
I still have hope in tracing Philip back through his father George Henry Taylor, born 1887 in North Tawton - he is the connection with our ancestry which I am so keen to tidy up.  Philip and his daughter's lives are a fascinating part of the story, but until I can formally prove their connection, I will have to keep delving away. 
Thanks again,
Meredith

Offline ctay1449

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
Phil Taylor was my husband's Uncle.  I don't have much info on him, other that he was a world champion skater .  He was born November 11 or 12, 1895 in Southend on Sea, England.  I do have information on his sister May (Alice) and brother John.  I too am looking for more information on the family.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.