Author Topic: Jane BENNETT born c 1797 Gloucestershire  (Read 2259 times)

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane BENNETT born c 1797 Gloucestershire
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Her father is Robert BENNETT, a draper.

Jane married DARE and died in Australia in 1870. I got her date and place of birth from her death certificate, and her father's name and trade from her marriage certificate, which took place in London.

She may have been of one of the Protestant religions, as one of her sons was a renowned Wesleyan Minister, and other descendents were also Methodist.

All of Jane and Robert DARE'S children were born in England, and all those who I have traced as adults, died in Australia, but all came here separately. Jane was in England in 1841, and I know that one of her voyages here was in 1862 as a widow. I have not found any earlier voyages, but I did not find her in UK in 1851 either.

I have looked in IGI and in free reg for a Christening, and found nothing. There are no Drapers named BENNETT in the 1856 PO Dir (I have not found an earlier one on line)

As I 'know' her father's name and trade, I am hoping to get over this dead end.  If any of the records are available to purchase or on line, I would really appreciate advice on where to find them.

Thanks - Shirley

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane BENNETT born c 1797 Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Her father is Robert BENNETT, a draper.

Jane married DARE and died in Australia in 1870. I got her date and place of birth from her death certificate, and her father's name and trade from her marriage certificate, which took place in London.

Thanks - Shirley

Her father's name and occupation would not be on her marriage in the parish registers - that information was not given pre registration (Sept qtr 1837) -only witnesses names

There is a tree on A******y which gives her baptism as 26 Mar 1797 Sturminster Newton Dorset - father's name Robert -this is obviously wrong as in the parish registers the parents are given for this baptism as Phillip & Elizabeth

Where did you find her father's name & occupation??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 March 14 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Could you post census details found from 1841?

This is one I found
1841 High St Weymouth Dorset
Jane Dare 44 yes
Robert 18 yes
Eliza 14 yes
HO107 295 18 34 11

on 1841 census ages of adults 15 yrs+ are usually rounded down to the nearest 5 years -no relationships are given and yes or no is given to indicate whether the person was born in the county they were living in
on this particular census all are "yes" indicating they were all born in Dorset
???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Suzard you are of course correct.

Her father's name came from her death certificate. My 'source citation' for Robert Bennett's occupation of Draper says I got it from her Death Cert, but this cannot be correct.  For now I will have to say occupation unknown.

He was named as Robert on her Death Certificate, and her age and place of birth are stated.  I understand that entries in death certificates should be treated carefully, as the person who really knows the answers is no longer able to take part in the registration process.

It is interesting that you say parents of Philip and Elizabeth, as the children I have found so far, in order of appearance, are:

John 1822-1899
Robert 1823-1881
Philip 1825-?
Eliza 1827-1892
Joseph 1829-1880

All Chr in Dorset, most in Holy Trinity Wesley Church.

I think there are enough points of confirmation of Jane's birth date to be sure of 1797.

The 1841 census I have is the one you unearthed, in Weymouth.  I can see that it says she was born in Dorset, but I would be more inclined to believe her death record (as it is easier for the census taker to say 'yes' instead of 'no', than it is for an informant to make up a place of birth from thin air. The fact they married in London allows room for her birth in a different place to her husband.

The Weymouth Census taker seems to have ignored the rule to round the ages down.

Jane's husband Robert DARE was with his eldest son in Church Street, Sturminister Newton Castle, and Jane was with the 2nd and 4th child in Weymouth (ages of the 2 children match exactly).  The 5th son Joseph was one of 2 private pupils at John LANGLEY's school in Sturminister. No sign of Philip, and I have never found a death either.

Robert DARE was a currier in 1841 census, so I have not accidentally allocated his occupation to Robert BENNETT

Thanks for this reply - I will look at the a*****y tree and try for see the records they used to compile their info. I will also look at the Sturminister Newton Register or transcription for the birth to Philip and Elizabeth. (and any others around the same time)

Regardless of all above I will take another look at Jane from scratch and post any findings here (in the interests of people searching archived posts in the future

shirley

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 March 14 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the original death cert entry -or just a copy??

I am wondering if Jane's father was Phillip and Robert was maybe misentered as her husband was Robert and there are a few Roberts in the family

I am wondering if this is the scenario?
Marriage 13 Dec 1795 Sturminster Newton Dorset
Phillip Bennett of this parish and Elizabeth ROBERTS of the same were married in this Church by Licence 13 Dec 1795 by Wm Butler Vicar
Witnesses J Ashony? Hills
Wm Colbourne Junior

Baptisms Sturminster Newton
Parents Phillip & Elizabeth Bennett
26 Mar 1797 Jane Bennett
19Aug 1798 Eliza Bennett
Phillip Bennett 8 Dec 1802
Robert bennett 8 Dec 1802

Robert Bennett 1802 married Mary and 1841 was a Farmer 1861 a Butcher

I was wondering if any of these children had a post 1837 marriage which would name their father and give his occupation

May be worth investigating

also it would be good to find where you had the occupation Draper from??

Even that could be mistranscribed - I had a father and son who had both had their occupations transcribed as "Hangman" - when it actually read "Dairyman"

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I have found a Gloucester connection to the family of Phillip & Elizabeth bennett -rather remote but here it is

Eliza Bennett daughter of Phillip & Elizabeth married matthew Puckey
they had several children -one of them was Jane Bennett Puckey born 1 April 1825 Baptised 3 July 1825 Bedminster Langton St former Guinea St Bristol Gloucester Weslyan
Jane gives her p.o.b. as Bedminster Somerset on census
Bristol in earlier census is sometimes listed as Somerset -it is now in Gloucester
another daughter's baptism
Selina Puckey
daughter of Matthew & Eliza Puckey
father's occ Officer of Excise
address Bedminster
Baptised 2 Jun 1822 Bristol Somerset Weslyan
(Selina gives p.o.b. as Bristol St James on census)
so non conformist fits
Wonder if Jane Dare(nee Bennett ) was staying with her sister Eliza in Gloucester when she set sail
Sometimes people give the place where they lived before emigrating as their p.o.b.

It's all supposition but I think worth further investigation

Suz

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 March 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Suz - I think you have nailed this for me.  I am working my way through the records (OPC, and the census and I have a*****y and F******T.  I will report back when I have finished.

I was stuck in 1841 with Matthew PUCKEY'S occupation, but I can see from your notes is is clearer in later census

Thanks for the help.

Shirley

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 March 14 05:03 BST (UK) »
Suz - thanks to your assistance I have taken Jane back with reasonable certainty 1 generation to Philip and Elizabeth nee ROBERTS. He is a shopkeeper.

He may be the Philip who was Chr in Shaftsbury in 1768, father named as Philip, no mother.

I believe father Philip is the man who married Sarah COLBRON in Shaftsbury in 1761. This couple are buried in Shaftsbury - making Philip 1734-1823 and Sarah 1738-1821.

The Philip born 1734 (from age at death) is most likely the son of Walter who was Chr in Shaftsbury in 1735.

Thanks - I have recorded Jane's siblings for later generations, and will gladly share to anyone who has an interest. Eliza 1798-1870 married Matthew PUCKEY 6 children; Philip 1802-1840 married Maria HAGGAR 3 children; Robert 1802-? married Mary BELBIN 11 children

Thanks again

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BENNETT family, drapers of Dorset
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 15 07:01 BST (UK) »
I can now add a little more to this story.

Jane's parents were Philip and Elizabeth nee ROBERTS.  Philip was a Draper with premises in the Market Place, Sturminster.  Up until he was made bankrupt in 1822. His property, which seems substantial, was sold up in March of that year.  The ROBERTs family were leaseholders at a quit rate of sixpence of some of the property sold, so I am comfortable I have made the correct connection.

One son Robert BENNETT 1802-1863, and some of his family are buried in Sturminster Newton Castle, but I have not as yet been able to find Philip's death.  I have looked in Australia, as Philip's daughter Jane's husband (Robert DARE) was here in 1846, and in England, but so far no luck.

SHIRLEY