Author Topic: Arthur Macarthur  (Read 4525 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Arthur Macarthur
« on: Friday 28 March 14 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please help me locate the birth/baptism record of Arthur Macarthur.
His father is Daniel Macarthur, a schoolteacher, and his mother is Jane Smith MacKinley.

He was born in 1843, 9th of January I believe. According to the 1851, 1861 Scotland census, he is shown as born in Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

In the 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 English census, he is shown as born in Scotland, and in the 1911 English census, he is shown as born in Glasgow.

HOWEVER, I cannot find his birth registered on Scotlands People, not Family Search. Using the broadest of searches on Scotlands People, I find one (1) record for Glasgow, with parents not Daniel or Jane
Family Search has no records, but all his siblings have been recorded.

Could anyone please help. I have been looking for this one record for quite some time, and what little hair is in danger of being pulled out.

A Chesters

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Macarthur
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 14 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As Civil registration did not commence in Scotland until 1855 you will not find a birth registration just a church record of his christening. His siblings look to have been christened at Cambridge St United Presbyterian Church so you will not find those records on Scotlandspeople as the OPRs are for the Church of Scotland. It is possible that on Familysearch.org the christening has been missed or transcribed incorrectly and, if you can, it might be worth trying to access the film.

Familysearch.org does have the following christening that is a possible.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYSZ-GH9

Andy

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 14 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Andy.

The record you have found gives the father as A Mcarthur, but Arthurs father  was Daniel.

It is most annoying, but many thanks for your interest

AC

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 March 14 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Whilst the index does say it is A McArthur you do need to check the original to see if there has been a transcription error. Certainly reading a D as an A is not impossible.
The OPRs on Scotlandspeople are the registers for the Church of Scotland, SP does have the Catholic Parish Registers (CPR) in a different section but other denominations such as the United Presbyterian Church, the Free Church of Scotland, and the Episcopal Church (the Anglican Church in Scotland) are not online apart from a small number on Familysearch.org.

Andy

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 March 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I would agree with Andy. This could be a mistranscription :-\ 
The date of the christening record Andy found is approx. 3 weeks after the date of birth you provided for Arthur. And the location of the christening (and therefore Church denomination United Presbyterian) matches with siblings.
I wouldn't rule this record out.  Please check out the original.

Looby :)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 March 14 05:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for that information. I will have to get more credits at Scotland people, and check it out fully.

As his fathers information is on Scotlands People in the OPR's, and all his siblings are on there, I will try again.

I will let you know later what the results are.
Once again many thanks for the help

AC

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 March 14 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you sure that the christenings of Arthurs siblings are in the OPRs?  Siblings born from 1855 would be in the Statutory Registers (Civil Registration) as that is the Registration of all births that took place in Scotland but the OPRs up to 1854 are only for the Church of Scotland. Some Parishes have included events that took place in other churches but most do not seem to have done so.

According to Familysearch.org Mary Cameron Mcarthur and Margaret McArthur were both christened at Cambridge Street United Presbyterian Church, this church is not Church of Scotland and not included in the OPRs.

The McArthur 29th January 1843 christening at Cambridge Street United Presbyterian Church will not be on Scotlandspeople.

Andy

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 March 14 06:56 BST (UK) »
Ooops :-[ :-[ :-[

Thank you for pulling me up Andy.

Five of his younger siblings were christened at Cambridge Street. The two youngest have no notation on Familysearch regarding where, just the birth place.

The first official information I have on Arthur is the 1851 census, where he is mentione as a 8 yo scholar, born Glasgow, Lanarkshire. After that I have fairly good information about the rest of his life, his becoming a Presbyterian minister in 1869, and his move to Blackburn, and marriage in 1874, to his death in 1920.

It is just his birth I have difficulty finding.

The information about his birth on 9 Jan 1843, is from family information, so not guaranteed.

It is most frustrating, and any help is most gratefully received.

AC

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All

AC, some additional info here on records relating to the Cambridge Street United Presbyterian Church https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Glasgow_Nonconformist_Church_Records#Cambridge_Street_United_Presbyterian

Not sure where you are based but if near to Glasgow, copies of these records are held by the Mitchell Library (Glasgow City Archives). Alternatively, you could order the film(s) from your nearest LDS Family History Library perhaps.

Monica

Added:  ;D Just seen the flag! Think film via a FH Library might be best  ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk