Author Topic: Help with BMD  (Read 1891 times)

Offline lizbet2507

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with BMD
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please? I am trying to trace more detailed information about my great grandfather.  His name was Arthur George Broomhall and he was born in Short Heath Willenhall circa 1870 - but I cannot find any trace f him in the birth index!
Does anybody know how else I could find him?
All I know for sure is that according to his marriage certificate his father was Thomas Broomhall.

Please help!
Many thanks
Liz :)
Broomhall (Birmingham/Willenhall), Gurney, Rowley, Moore and Branson amongst others

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with BMD
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Welcome to RootsChat!

I think you need to find him on a few census records to help establish the facts.  There seem to be plenty of Broomhall families around Short Heath or Willenhall and lots of them appear to have been locksmiths.  I haven't found a Thomas yet with a son Arthur or George.  Was Thomas a locksmith?
Have you found the family on a census yet?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizbet2507

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,

Thanks for the reply.  Now you see that is my problem as I cannot find Arthur George in the 1871 Census - in fact he doesn't appear until the 1901 Census - which is very strange.  I know he got married in 1890 and I know he had a brother called Reuben, who is also very evasive!
So I am really stuck as to wher to look now! Thomas was a Gun Maker and I know that they moved to Aston in Birmingham at some point.  It is all rather confusing - so any help would be gratefully received!
Thanks

Liz
Broomhall (Birmingham/Willenhall), Gurney, Rowley, Moore and Branson amongst others

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
I found this on the 1881 census, I don't know if its any help to you?
RG11 Piece 3001 Folio 81 Page 3
Moland St, 1 Court, 4 House, Birmingham
BRAMHALL
Thomas Head Marr 43 Gunsmith b West Bromwich
Alice Wife Marr (23?) b Birmingham
Reuben Son 19 Gunmaker b Birmingham
Thomas Son 15 Brass (P???) b Birmingham
Hannah Daur 6 mths b Birmingham

Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, I just found that too - Reuben is the key because it is an unusual name to look for.  Now for 1871!

Nell

PS We must be looking at a second marriage by 1881 - Reuben and Thomas being from the first marriage.
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
Found this on the 1871, I think this may be them
RG10 Piece 3117 Folio 43 Page 19
109 lancaster St, Birmingham
Thomas Yeomans Head marr 59 Glass Cutter b Birmingham
THOMAS BROMHALL Lodger Marr 33 Locksmith b Wednesfield, Staffs
Elizabeth Bromhall Lodg Wife Marr 33 b Birmingham
Elizabeth Bromhall Daur 12 b Birmingham
RUBEN Bromhall Son 8 b Birmingham
Thomas Bromhall Son 4 b Birmingham
GEORGE BROMHALL Son 1 b Birmingham

Could the 1year old George be your Arthur George do you think? Have you tried searching the censuses for GEORGE instead of ARTHUR GEORGE?
Also both households either side of this address are listed as GUNSMITHS.
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
A possible in 1861
RG9 Piece 2183 Folio 46 Page 43
Inkerman St, Aston, Birmingham
BRAMHALL
Thomas Head marr 24 Sword Mounter (sounds painful!) b Willenhall, Staffs
Elizabeth Wife Marr 23 b Birmingham
Elizabeth Daur 2 b Birmingham
George Son 8mths b Birmingham
Anne

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 June 05 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
If he did go by the name of George could this be him in 1891
RG12 Piece 2382 Folio 105 Page 8
25 Cheapside, 6 Court 1 House, Birmingham
BROMHALL
George Head Marr 22 Bicycle Saddle Filer (Chaser) b Birmingham
Sarah Ann Wife Marr 18 b Birmingham
Arthur J Son 7 mths b Birmingham

Anne

Offline lizbet2507

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 June 05 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladies,

I don't know what to say expect for thank you so much! I was drawing such a blank and it was driving me mad! I should have thought of changing the spelling slightly.  In the 1901 Census Arthur appears as Arthur George, which confused me as I presumed he went by the name all the time - and I know not to presume anything!

I do know that Thomas was re-married but that was as much information that I had.

I will carry on the search now with renewed enthusiasm and I really do appreciate your help.

Thanks again!
Liz :D