Author Topic: Edmund and Joseph Cahill - convicts transported to West Aust 1853  (Read 6985 times)

Offline tickford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edmund and Joseph Cahill - convicts transported to West Aust 1853
« on: Friday 25 April 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking to find the parents of these 2 brothers. they were both transported to W.A.  in 1853 aboard the "Robert Small" after being convicted of cattle stealing at Co Tipperary on 11 03 1850 . There was also a Michael Cahill aboard the same ship convicted   07 01 1851 for Burglary & robbery, also Co Tipperary, no idea if related.

Someone has that they are born in Cashel.

Any help appreciated, researching Ireland is a whole new ball game for me and I don't really know where to start.

Thanks

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline tickford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund and Joseph Cahill - convicts transported to West Aust 1853
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 April 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cocksie I have seen that, that post gave me a couple leads. I'd like to find something to confirm what that says about who the parents are. I have been able to find some criminal records on FindMyPast but still not luck re parents.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 April 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
WA death indexes indicate not much in the way of parent info
What does Edmund's marriage cert say?
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 April 14 09:52 BST (UK) »
Just read physical descriptions of the lads.  Edmund was tall! 6 ft.
No doubt you've seen this
http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/conwad09.htm
Cocksie

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 April 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
Have you any dating / ages for these folks?

The reason I ask is that a search of the RootsIreland website index brings back a church marriage in 1813 of John Cahill to a Catherine Harney, the "parish/district" is Carrick-on-Suir RC parish.

While I can see no baptisms for an Edmond/Edmund or Joseph Cahill, searching the RootsIreland index using the given parents' names brings back a hit for a Michael Cahill, baptised in 1816, again the "parish/district" is given as Carrick-on-Suir RC parish.

The content for both records is pay to view, though I would caution that for this era, the content might not reveal much more.  In addition, it has to be said that the surnames Cahill and Harney for that part of the world are not exactly rare. 

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 April 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Im not sure whats available in the Irish archives but maybe trial records might mention a family name or names. Newspaper articles on the court case are another source also. I have found other members of a family through these.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 April 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
A person out there in cyberspace has done a fair bit of research into Edmund. The marriage cert of Edmund apparently gives his father's name.  This person has also consulted the actual Catholic Church records (in Latin) which gives the names of both parents and their residence.  So it might be worth contacting the person who made this post
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-WA-CONVICT/2006-01/1136513366
Cocksie
Just realised the cyberspace person above is the same one with all the info I linked you to in my earlier post.  Go to one of the links and the person's email address is there.  Might be worth emailing.  Seems like this person has undertaken thorough research ..... And ends up with the Parents as John Cahill and Catherine Herney/Hainey/Heaney/Harney.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 April 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
On trove, this article in 1895
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4543348
Indicates Edmund was 55 at death in 1895 .... But maybe my eyes are not working