Author Topic: Lewis Baptisms (Mardy)  (Read 1494 times)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lewis Baptisms (Mardy)
« on: Friday 02 May 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Evening all!

My grandfather was one of 15 children born to Richard Lewis and his wife Ann Davies.
They married in 1896 and the first child was Thomas Richard born 1897. My mother can remember the names of about 10 of her uncles and aunties. Does anyone know where I can find Mardy baptisms please?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Baptisms (Mardy)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 May 14 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Why not have a look on the 1911 census which will give you all children born up to that date.

From the September qtr 1911 - birth registrations showed mothers maiden name alongside the entry so you can look on freebmd for Lewis births with mothers maiden name Davies

The 1911 entry will tell you what registration district they were living in at that time so if they remained in that area you can confine your search for births to that RD.  I think Mardy came under Pontypridd
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 May 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Yes I have done that, but more children were born well after 1911. The problem is there were a LOT of Lewis/Davies children registered in the area at the time. A bit of a needle in a haystack really!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Kind Regards
Chris

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 May 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Just to correct and help it's Maerdy.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Ystradyfodwg/Maerdy/ 
Not a lot of info it seems

Regards Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 21:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how many children were baptised at all to be honest. My partner has many family members from there and no a baptism record in site. If you list the names you have or the address on the 1911 census i can see what i can find if you like

David

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
That is very kind of you David!

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the Census Reference, so:

Head is Richard Lewis born 1876 Aberystwith living at 7 Wood Street, Mardy (as written on Census) with wife Ann and 8 children.

Many thanks
Chris

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Was hoping to find some info through a couple of methods :)

Firstly burials:

Have looked for Richard and Ann's burial to see if any children buried with them.
both in plot T11 (unconsecrated ground) Richard died 1928 and Ann 1956? only people can find which seem to be buried with them are a Richard Lewis who died in 1890 aged 54 and an Edward David (ashes only) died 1954 aged 48 (this is one of the children on the census)- unfortunately there is no headstone at this plot so no clues there.

The census shows no other children not alive born to this marriage and i have checked the names of the children on the census and no obvious burials for any of them in Ferndale cemetery.

Did they attend chapel? i'm pretty sure they didn't baptise, i'll check tomorrow with someone who will know.

What are the names of the other "aunts and uncles" other than those on the census?

David

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 July 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hello David

Many thanks for the burial info. I knew Richard was buried at Ferndale, but not the ashes of Edward (known as Teddy).

Mum is sure there were 15 children in total. She was evacuated to her Lewis grandparents during the War and spent nine months there, so met them all I think.

She can remember a Dai and a Sidney, so we are struggling to find the other five!

Glyn married and the couple moved to Middlesex where they were in service.
Dan (my grandfather) moved to London when he signed for Clapton Orient as a Goalkeeper.
Averina married and moved to Nottingham.
Edward was also in service in London (hence only the ashes at Ferndale).
I daresay a lot of them moved away.

Anything you can find would be most welcome, but I expect they were far too busy to go to Church or Chapel with all that lot to look after!

Kind Regards
Chris

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 July 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have just re-read your post and I see that Richard & Ann were buried in unconsecrated ground. I think that probably answers the question on whether there are any baptisms or not!

I guess I will have to wait for the 1921 Census to find the other children (always assuming I am still here to look?)  ;D

Thanks again
Chris