Author Topic: Are there missing OPR's for Cambuslang? Early 1820's.  (Read 6828 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are there missing OPR's for Cambuslang? Early 1820's.
« on: Monday 05 May 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
On all the major websites for vital records, I cannot seem to find a marriage registration for my GGG Grandparents who lived in Cambuslang. Their son was baptized (OPR's) in 1824 as "lawful son of " so I presume the parents were married c. 1820-1823. Would there, by chance, be some marriage registers missing for Cambuslang in that time period?

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Are there missing OPR's for Cambuslang? Early 1820's.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
The Cambuslang OPRs are quite good, from 1746 there is a very good marriage register, nice condition and easy to read. The hand changes in January 1798 and becomes a scrawl but improves by November 1817 and ends at April 1820. Proclamations of Banns from May 1820, good condition, end at December 1854.
So the period you are looking for is covered and it may be that either your ancestors were married in another parish or that they did not pay to have the Banns recorded or, they were married in a church other than the parish church. One of the Secession churches perhaps?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 May 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
I think some entries were missed from the OPR by the clerk.

My own ggg grandparents were "proclaimed" as married in 1815, just a few days before the baptism of their first child.
However, I was never able to find the marriage  banns for the brother of my ggg grandmother and assumed his marriage would be found in the neighbouring parish of Rutherglen.
 I have since discovered a newspaper article for his Diamond Wedding Anniversary.

It states that he and his wife married in Cambuslang Manse on 30 Nov 1827... it's not in the OPR.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 May 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
I think some entries were missed from the OPR by the clerk

Entries were not made by the session clerk unless a sum of money (used to upkeep the poor of the parish) was paid. No payment - no entry. Banns were proclaimed no matter what happened.
Being married in the manse or the bride's home was the norm, only rich folk were married in the church.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the comments. I have both GGG Grandparent's baptismal entries-GGG Grandfather in Glasgow in 1801 and GGG Grandmother in Cambuslang in 1794. Yes, she was 7 years older than him. Both in the established OPR Church of Scotland records. Their only child- a son- was baptized in Cambuslang in 1824- same church- so I have no reason to believe that they were married in another denominational church.

GGG Grandmother- her 3 brothers and 1 older sister were supposedly married in Cambuslang but can only find one marriage entry for one of them in 1821.   So its still a bit of a mystery to me.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
Update:  I did some more extensive searching on SP and found the 3 PARK brother marriages (Hugh, Andrew, James) all in Cambuslang- 1812, 1820 and 1821. My GGG Grandmother was Marrion PARK, their sister. Another sister was Mary PARK born 1792 in Cambuslang but her marriage to William ARBUCKLE has still not been found. Arbuckle's death certificate in 1875 stated that Mary Park was his second wife.

Back to GGG Gran Marrion- she was 7 years older than her husband William UMPHERSTON. Theoretically she could have been married circa 1815. I wonder if she was married previous before Umpherston and the first husband died.

My point- the 2 Park sisters- if they were married twice would that have changed the way they were "registered" in the parish register for their second marriages?  (I really dont know why it would. I'm just throwing that theory "out there").

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi lanarman

In Scotland, married women never 'lost' their maiden names by law. This is the reason their maiden names feature prominantly in records. Grave incriptions for example have married women under their maiden name too (Mary Smith wife of John Grant for example). Scotlands People also let you search for deaths of married women with both maiden and married surnames...which is always useful in narrowing down results.

In respect of second marriages in this period you are looking at, widows remarrying would normally show under their maiden names. Life is never 100%...but this was normal practice.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica:

On SP, the 2 Park sister's marriages do not show up under "Park" or anything else. Thanks for confirming that (if) they married a second time, it would most likely be registered under their maiden names.

annep5892 : your Cambuslang ancestors and mine could have rubbed shoulders and your comments about not being in the OPR's seems to fit with my situation.

Lanarman

Offline Londonmeerkat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My gt gt gt grandparents lived in Cambuslang in 1841 and after that date they seem to disappear.

They were William Struthers, his wife Margaret Kyle (both born in East Kilbride around 1782) and their daughter Agnes Struthers (born 1815).

I can't find any of them in the 1851 census despite extensive searching. None of them are mentioned in either old parish record deaths for cambuslang and East Kilbride or are registered after 1855 in the statutory death index. I've spent a small fortune viewing death records for Agnes, but so far nothing.

Does anyone have any advice as I seem to have hit a dead end and am getting desperate!