Author Topic: Bremhill  (Read 16560 times)

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
Re: Bremhill
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 May 14 09:17 BST (UK) »
For once I happen to agree with  FF regarding the names of the residents of Bremhill.  It is extremely difficult to sort out family relationships within this village.  Unless you purchase the bmd certificates for events you are never going to be entirely sure who belongs to who.  Even the registers can be misleading since the surnames are common in the area such as Pinnegar, Ponting, Henly and their variants.  Coupled with that is the use of Given names in the same way.  There may be for example 4 or 5 John Pontings all cousins.  Then we have the use of the surname as a middle name adding to the mix.  Since I regard Bremhill as the my family "seat"  as FF regards Yatesbury as his I will eventually purchase the microfiche for the parish which may help in a very small way.  But this is one Wiltshire parish hat genealogy is certainly an expensive hobby as you will no doubt need to purchase certificates to be certain.

As I said in a previous post - there are images on the Wilts OPC website of the memorial stones that remain standing in St. Martins Churchyard up to about 2010.

I have been to the Churchyard and walked around the graves and been inside the church to have a look at where my grandfather was baptised.  Sadly I hadn't realised I would be involved in family history as much as I am and I did not have the foresight to take a camera.  The only plaque I remember looking at was that of the Roll of Honour, since my grandfather (served), great uncle (KIA) and a nephew of my grandfather also KIA are named. 

Another spanner in the works is the Moravian burial ground at East Tytherton in the parish.  Some of the surnames associated to  St. Martins appear their too.   

Further to that Foxham which is another tithing of the parish has its own church possibly built as a chapel of ease to St. Martins.  St. John's registers at the WSHC are from 1850-1911 for baptisms and burials.  I believe it was never licensed to perform marriages.

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 May 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
A list of the Vicars can be found here - the CCEd database only lists to 1826 unfortunately

http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/locations/index.jsp

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
thanks for the additional replies.....>

just a dumbe question that has emerged on the clergy site.....

the list on the site suggests Wishford Magna....   can I presume that this particular list refers to the church known as Great Wishford.......... cheers :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
Simply using Google turns up this:

Great Wishford.
The village pre-dates the Norman conquest of 1066, but was only a Hamlet at this time. The name has evolved over the years, with recorded names including Wicheford (meaning a ford where wych-elms grow), Witford, Willesford Magna (mid-16th century) and Wishford Magna (early 17th century). Set into the wall of the church is a series of nine engraved "bread stones" that record the price of bread from 1800 (during the Napoleon blockade) until 2000.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 May 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
thanks for that info from google.....    i suppose that is a clarification........   so I will attach that list to my Great Wishford materials................     interesting comment about the bread stones......    probably another wonderful innovation by some Shergold in the village( :)).........         yer those breadstones ......  some other churches have bread windows .........    would make for an interesting post on rc to bring together all the churches in UK that had made allowances for the pre age before the poor unions or workhouses......

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 May 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
"Moravian burial ground at East Tytherton".......

could I have some expansion on this....please...ie   is there transcripts or the burials online for this part of the Hundred.     thank you.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 May 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
If you had taken a look at the page on GenUKI for Bremhill, you would have seen:

Indexes and registers of the church of East Tytherton, Moravian or United Brethren, Bremhill:

IGI Chr 1748-1840 Batch C078041 (RG4 3061), Mar 1750-1775 and 1786-1832 Batch M078041

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/Bremhill/index.shtml
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 May 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
good o......     more interested in online material availibility if i can to complete the matching on the Calne registration District cert references and other materials............

I am checking against other sites as much as I can remember to do to finalise this project so I can move onto Hampshire material.....Hilmarton is being done as I sit here at the moment ..........

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 May 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Nigel Pocock (contactable) via the Wiltshire OPC site is involved in the restoration of the burial ground - he may be able to provide more information as he is in contact with the Moravian Church Headquarters.   There are several items on the page about the Moravians including a wonderful account of a young slave girl educated at the Moravian School - Leonara Carr who is also buried in "Lambs Acre"