Author Topic: Brickyard rd Newport  (Read 4554 times)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Brickyard rd Newport
« on: Saturday 10 May 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I know I have touched on this in the past but have just looked on Newport Past site and a link to Johns Directory 1938 shows John Jones ( my grandad ) living at number 9 but have just noticed a George Jones living at number 3. From old censuses I know my family lived at both 9&3. My main reason for this post is to try to find out what happened to my great uncles George and Thomas. My dad died in 1963 when I was 7 and my mother died long before I became interested in family history so I never got to ask any questions. Is there some kind soul who could look at electoral rolls for 9&3 Brickyard rd in the late 1930s for me as looking on freebmd for a marriage of George or Thomas Jones with no date is next to impossible. I'm hoping one or both of them have spouses living there with them. Thankyou and sorry for rambling on, Phil
My email address is not working - sorry

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brickyard rd Newport
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,don't if you are still looking for this,but hope this helps.

3 Brickyard Road
George Jones
Margaret Jones
John Charles Jones

9 Brickyard Road
John Jones
Ruth Eveline Jones

3 Brickyard Road
George
Eveline
John

9 Brickyard Road
Everett Penn
Ruth Penn

Also at 3 Brickyard Road in 1938 was Gwendoline Jones.

Steve

Census Information Crown

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 22:53 BST (UK) »
Steve, thankyou so much for your reply. We're there any ages attached to these names? I know John and Ruth at number 9 in 1939 were my grand parents. Living at number 3 I think that John Charles might be an illegitimate son of Margaret but not sure. 1938 with Gwendoline at number 3 I'm not sure about either. 1946 has Everett and Ruth at number 9 and they were my auntie and uncle. It could be that George never married but I don't know. Are ther other electoral rolls or just these? Thankyou once more, Phil

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,no ages are given,there plenty of Electoral Registers,just let me know what you are looking for.

Steve
Census Information Crown

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, basically being stuck with Joneses as others find is a nightmare. Added to that my dad was John and so was his dad and his before him. I start with John born 1849 in Llangibby so the census tells me. He married Rachel Arnold and the next time I pick them up is in Brickyard rd. Apart from trying to go back from this John ( father William ) according to wedding cert I would love to find living relatives from My grt uncles George or Thomas up to now. The family all seem to be working at the St Julians brick works from late 1890,s through to info supplied by you to at least 1946. I Don't know whether George or Thomas married or not so I'm trying to find as many clues as poss . Early 1900 censuses show Ellen Jones who I m guessing is the illegitimate daughter of Margaret who it seems never married and later had another baby John Charles. So looking for any scraps forward or back really. Many thanks, Phil

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 15 14:43 BST (UK) »
Phil checked through a few Electoral Registers this morning:
All Brickyard Road.

3 John Jones
9 George,Margaret Jones

3 John Jones
9 George,Margaret,Thomas Jones.

9 John,Ruth Eveline Jones
3 George,Margaret.John Charles Jones.

3 George,Margaret,Gwendoline Jones.
9 as 1928

3 George Jones
9 Ruth E Penn,Eveline Penn,Everett Penn,John Jones.

3 George,Margaret,Evelyn,John H Jones.
9 Ruth,Everett Penn.

3 John,Evelin Jones
9 as 1948

3 John,Evelin Jones
9 as before.

Not much to go on but hope it helps,I will check a few more next week.

Steve

Census Information Crown

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Steve, it has helped I think as I think the John Charles in 1928 was born in Newport in 1907. There is only one so his middle name gave the clue. Also it showed that the three brothers John, Thomas and George all survived WW1. So far no evidence of a spouse for either Thomas or George. Not sure about Gwendoline. Maybe she could have been George's wife. Cheers, Phil

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
Phil,had time for a quick look this morning,I will have better look next week,but here's a few more look ups:

All Brickyard Road.

3. John Jones driver
9.  William Holman

3 John Jones Driver
9 William Phillips

As above

3 George,Margaret Jones
9 John Jones
I did have a quick look for George Jones pre 1918,in the directories,there are quite a few George Jones,but the best I could come up was a George Jones 30 Witham Street .Just a quess though.

Also checked to see if the addresses were shown in the Absent Voters list,neither were.

1950 and 1953
3 John,Eveline Jones
9 Ruth,Everett Penn
3 John,Ruth,John H Jones
9 Penn's.

Census Information Crown

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 April 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
Steve, Thankyou very much for the new info. So many queries arise from extra lists etc. The John H Jones in 1957 was my dad. However he married my mam in 1948. And I was born in 1956. I wonder why he was registered to this address and no mam. We moved to the new part of St Julians around 59, 60 so I wonder could the reason have been to get on a housing list or something? Cheers, Phil