Author Topic: Maiden name of Mary Ann ALLEN/BEARFOOT, born 1794 Sheerness, Kent?  (Read 5283 times)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name of Mary Ann ALLEN/BEARFOOT, born 1794 Sheerness, Kent?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 July 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
Margaret,

Strange how things change.  You would never describe me (before I retired) as an ideas man; I was the one who got the ideas to work!  As ideas go, this thread has produced some of my less outlandish theories.

I went to school at Faversham and have lived (all but three) of my 72 years in Kent.  Some areas I am pretty familiar with but the area south of Sheppey is not one of them.  Now living in Folkestone, a new area to get familiar with.

I do have a. more out there, idea on Richard Whitehead but, need to do a bit more research before I put pen to paper.

Tony  ;)

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 July 17 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret

I only had the information about brothers WTA jnr and Richard Allen from the probate records, and agree it is quite odd that the sons were not named instead - perhaps an early will? Unfortunately I have no certificates for the Allen family as I am following John Edwin and Mary Ann. I will keep on with strengthening the links with the Whitehead family for Mary Ann, and keep you posted if anything arises with the Allens.

Regards
Zep
Kilgallon, McCran, Ochiltree, Denholm, Fortune, Nicol, Langdon, Smith, Bolger, Connell, Sullivan, Lourey, Primmer, Charles, Johnson, McGrath, Daley, Hughes, Stodart, Tweedie, Bell, Dunn, Anderson | Webster, Gregg, McConnel, Farrelly, Farnham, Bellchambers, Davey, Ashbolt, Dibel, Schrodt, Woodmansee, Seabrook

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 July 17 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony and Trish

Thank you for the baptism suggestions - I figured there must have been at least one before William Jeremiah due to their parents' wedding date.

I am holding on to Mary being a Whitehead by her third son being named Richard.

Also, acknowledging that this is a very simple indicator, going by tradition of naming sons by their parents fathers' name, I wonder who Henry was named for?

Regards
Zep 
Kilgallon, McCran, Ochiltree, Denholm, Fortune, Nicol, Langdon, Smith, Bolger, Connell, Sullivan, Lourey, Primmer, Charles, Johnson, McGrath, Daley, Hughes, Stodart, Tweedie, Bell, Dunn, Anderson | Webster, Gregg, McConnel, Farrelly, Farnham, Bellchambers, Davey, Ashbolt, Dibel, Schrodt, Woodmansee, Seabrook

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 July 17 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony

I haven't posted this separately yet, but if you'd like a really tough nut to crack - any help on the parentage of John Edwin Bearfoot (1805-1878), and his sisters Elizabeth (1795-1845 - died as Higley) and Caroline (1796-1878), would be greatly appreciated.

I have that their father was Henry (d. 1841, Plumstead), a master painter, who had an apprentice in 1808, future son-in-law William Higley - and that's it. All post-John Edwin I have good records as they were firmly entrenched at the Woolwich Arsenal for several generations.

Regards
Zep

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 July 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Zep,

Not having any luck at the moment with any Bearfoot baptisms.  However, Henry Bearfoot's Death Registration in 1841 states he was 57 years old so, he would not have been old enough to have married and fathered Elizabeth and Caroline!  Following this, can you tell me how you reached the conclusion that Henry was the father of the three children specified?

It may not help, in fact it will widen the search but such is life on the trail.

Still hunting,
Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 July 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
Maybe another Henry.

Burial at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich,

1829 May 31 Henry Bearfoot - aged 72

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 July 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony

Thank you for your time - I have the three children of Henry through Caroline living with sister Elizabeth in 1841, with Elizabeth's widowed husband in 1851 and with brother John in 1871.

My assumption of Henry as their father is through William Bavin Higley's apprenticeship with him in 1808 - then William married Elizabeth in 1817 in Stepney - it seemed a likely link - but entirely possible that Henry was a relative of their unknown father?

Will follow up Henry v.2 (1757-1829) - this one suggestive of an earlier family.

Regards
Zep

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 July 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Nothing for John Edwin, Caroline or Elizabeth, but what about this for a possible sibling.

Thomas Bearfort/Bearfoot, Birth 29 Jan 1792, St Mary, Woolwich, Kent
Baptism Mar 1792, Woolwich, Kent
Father: Henry Bearfort, Carpenter
Mother: Caroline Bearfort, spinster, late --
Salem Chapel, Powis Street, Woolwich (Independent)

No further records found for Thomas so far, but only had a quick look.  Father a carpenter rather than a painter, but seems likely.

Also

Burial 21 Feb 1791, Caroline Bearfoot Cd (?? child)
St Mary's, Woolwich, Kent

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 July 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
Posting before finishing searching.  Just a quick one before doing a bit more research, will report later if I find anything.

Burial St Nicholas, Deptford, Henry Bearfoot 28 Mar 1841, aged 57, Abode Plumstead.
So possibly another older sibling (or maybe unrelated). 
If born c 1784, an estimate for birth year of Henry snr could be before 1763.  This could well fit the following already found by Tony -

Burial at St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich, 31 May 1829 Henry Bearfoot, aged 72 (born c 1757)

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go