Author Topic: Eva Cora Budden  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
Re: Eva Cora Budden
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 November 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little late to get my 20¢ worth into this discussion however I have a fair bit of information on the mother of Harriet Cole that married Elijah Budden. I am a descendant of her half brother Charles and have put a lot of research into her mother.

Harriet Cole was reportedly the first white woman born in the upper Hunter to Amos Cowles (alias Enoch Cole & Amos Scols) and Phoebe Stirrup (alias Elizabeth Harrison) who married 2 Sep 1832 Christ Church, Newcastle. (recorded as Cowles & Harrison)

As convicts I believe they were trying to start their lives anew and were using the surname of Cole. Harriet Cole was born 9 May 1833 at Muswellbrook probably on the property of Negoa. There is information around that say she was a twin birth with a brother Amos whom I have been unable to prove. There is a BDM record for her but not her brother.

Her father died six months later (17 Nov 1833 according to his headstone) by the "accidental discharge of a musket" (obtained from a letter to the CS written by her master when trying to obtain her TOL). There is no record found of the incident or his death.

The question here is "how did she raise the money to give him a headstone". He was newly freed man who was working for his ex master and wouldn't have had the opportunity to save much money that she could have used. Sure his master could have paid for it however .... From what I have learnt of him he was a well liked man and would have been the kind of man that would have stood up to the troopers if they were giving convicts a hard time. I believe he was standing between Troopers and convicts and died because of his action. His headstone it appears is in the same style as that of other convicts that have a headstone. It was probably carved as a mark of respect by the convicts.

I have a lot of info on this family line so feel free to PM me
Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

From RChat's NSW Resources Board, there's live links to images from Christ Church Cathedral's parish registers. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

I think I am linking image of the 2 September 1832 marriage you mentioned.
(#153, last on the page)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uon/2465654563/in/album-72157605008173551/lightbox/

I think I am linking image of the first page in the baptisms register, dating from 1826
https://www.flickr.com/photos/uon/2448460882/in/album-72157605008173551/  The register includes date born as well as the date of the baptism. 

Hopefully you can find other images there for your COLE/COWLES and STIRRUP/HARRISON connections.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Confirming Harriett Cole's birth 9 May 1833 to Amos and Phaebe COLE
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTC8-2S3

This would seem to be the birth for Harriet:
   735/1833 V1833735 17   
Harriett C COLE,
parents: Amos,    Phoebe

Judith

Perhaps this may be of interest .... Harriet Cole Percy, maiden name COLE, burial 25 Feb 1898
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVGN-RPZR

Amos SCOLS ex the Henry of 1823 C of F 19 Feb 1830 was a shoemaker and assigned to Lieutenant REID  and/or William COX.

Elizabeth HARRISON ex the Sovereign of 1829  T of L 1834 and allowed to remain in the district of Invermein

Charles, son of Phoebe STIRRUP alias Elizabeth HARRISON, of Birchgrove near Sydney was born 12 February 1831 and baptised 20 March 1831 by Rev William COWPER, and the ceremony was registered in the parish registers at St Philip's C of E, Sydney.

I think you will find the record for Charles baptism at NSW BDM under the following ....
Covenant C STIRRUP, with mother as Phebe Alias Elizabeth HARRISON Volume 1C, line 10394 of 1831 and as Covenant C STIRRUP, mother as Phebe, Volume 15, line 196 of 1831.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

Here it is as Covenant Charles HARRISON, born 12 Feb 1831, baptised 20 March 1831, with both versions of his mum's name.  It was not unusual in those times to find several versions of a person's name.  The word "alias" on NSW records does not indicate any illegal practices, nor attempts to hide behind a name.   Often, in the NSW records a female may be recorded with several sets of names ... including for example
Her names at birth/baptism
Her names that she became known by in her local community before coming to NSW. 
the names recorded from verbal information given in one accent, recorded by a person with a completely different accent, when landing in NSW
the mish-mash of names caused by lack of standard spelling, and lack of literacy of the person recording the verbal information and the lack of literacy of the informant him/her self.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCD-5QZ

In the 1810-1821 era, the NSW governor of the penal colony set out some general orders that gave structure and administration to the colony.  Today we spell his names as Lachlan MACQUARIE.   Even he varied the spelling of his family name on official documents .... even within the one document, yet without his general orders re recording of baptisms and burials and transmitting those records to NSW Chaplains, we would likely be much less informed family historians.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 November 15 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Ahh ... Thank You Judith for the link of where to find the church register marriage entry. That is an interesting entry where it shows two of his names on one piece of paper. Yes the marriage permission is in the name of Scols with consent from the Governor yet he has signed it clearly as Cowles. How is your eye for hand writing ... Do you think his name is spelt "Scols"?

In the church record I failed to find a baptism for Harriett using your link I went through to 1835 ... My notes say she was baptised 25th Jun Winton Parish of Maitland ... Yes her name is spelt that way at NSW BDM. (they do have a lot of transcription errors so this may be another). I have headstone photos for Harriet which show her name spelt with just the one "T"

I am interested in finding access to that Winton Parish register because another researcher claims that both Harriet and the mystery twin (the child Amos) were baptised together. I seem to think that if this were so then NSW BDM would have information on both Harriet & Amos (Amos is nowhere to be found).

As for the real name for Amos Scols/Cowles together with finding his parents has avoided me. I used to think the reason for the two names was that he had a thick accent which the scribes had trouble with. After seeing the hand writing where he has signed his marriage it is apparent he was very literate and could have easily spelt it out for the scribe. The name Enoch Cole apparently he used mischievously to gain credit from his fellow convicts. Note that there was a Enoch Colesby (whom he may have met when at Richmond) assigned to somewhere at Windsor. Is this where the name Enoch Cole could have sprung to mind from?

To complicate matters further there is a village in Coledale, Gloucester named "Scowles" ... Yes he was convicted in Gloucester. Such a nice mixture of both names Scols & Cowles.

His stepson used the name Charles Cowle (my ancestor).

Rob

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 November 15 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Confirming Harriett Cole's birth 9 May 1833 to Amos and Phaebe COLE
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTC8-2S3

At that link there's a citation ... including " FHL microfilm 993,951."   Maitland may not have been transmitting their baptisms to Rev Reverend Charles Pleydell Neale WILTON.  They were expected to transmit to the NSW Chaplains but that general order was respected more by its breach than any other way.....  ::)

no Amos COLE or Enoch COLE on Convict Index at NSW SRO  ;D and I am fairly sure that even literate persons would have difficulty if standing facing a clerk, to read the upside down scribble of a clerk recording onto a page or worse a single piece of paper facing the clerk,

Enoch COLESLEY has an inquest indexed in that name at NSW State Records .... 8 August 1869
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-convict-records/indexes-to-convict-records  (A new index, combining many of the earlier ones)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 November 15 06:38 GMT (UK) »
1824 Muster
So, info recorded locally and then forwarded to Col Secretary’s Office for compiling into alphabetical order.  I am looking at the Col Sec’s image  (and I suggest some sloppy clerical work, info not recorded, and “Do” without much care too …)
The following THREE lads are at Mr THORSBY’s clearing party in the Liverpool district …..
COLE, William (no age in that column)  Do (JM thinks it [the Do] goes back to a CF ie ‘Came Free’ or Certificate of Freedom for someone much higher up the list, not anyone listed at/in Thorsby's clearing party  ::) )   (so back to William COLE who arrived on the) Genl Stewart 1819, Do (7 years) Mr Thorsbys clearing party
COLESLEY, Enoch, (no age), Shipley 4th, 1822 7 years   Do
COLE, Amos,  (no age,  Do, Henry  - - -   1820, 7 years  Do

I have notes to show Mr THORSBY wrote to the Col Secretary in July 1824 from Liverpool re his clearing party, so I am fairly confident that Amos COLE ex the Henry was at Liverpool with Enoch rather than at Windsor with Enoch.  I can only find ONE Enoch Colesley .

I can see the Windsor Muster 1824, and a Jno SCOLES and an Amos SCOLES, but no mention of their ship of arrival to help identify them. (again JM fears there's sloppy clerical efforts from the recorder/scribe  ::) )

Cheers JM

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 November 15 10:51 GMT (UK) »
You have been a busy lass Judith. It is so nice to have somebody else finding bits and pieces.

Lets get some possible misconceptions corrected before we go much further.

Untill your reply I have never thought that Enoch Colesby was in any way connected with Amos Scols/Cowles. He only had a similar name and I was making the possible link that the two had met in the Windsor/Richmond area and Amos used the name in the census/muster. Since I was working from memory I have now looked for Enoch Colesby to see if I got it wrong ... On Trove I find http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13179341 Enoch Colesby died in Windsor 1869. It describes him as an old resident (of Windsor).

My info is that the convict ship Henry arrived in Sydney Tues 20 Sep 1823. Convict Amos Scols was assigned to Vickers Jacob of Sydney. Your find of Amos assigned to Mr Thorsby clearing (land I guess) at Liverpool is interesting. You say he was together with Enoch Colesby and William Cole in July 1824. I have to ask if there was only 3 of them in the party or did you simply chose these 3 because of the surname being similar?  Four years later he is found on the 1928 census/muster on the property Hobartville at Richmond. From Hawkesbury Historical Society I obtained an article called Cox's Clarenden and in it it has "Information From the 1928 Census" Transcribed by Carol Carruthers 2006. In it it lists everybody attached to Cox's properties.

At Hobartville with William Cox Jr
Cole Enoch   Age:22   Status:GS   Ship:Henry 1823   Term:7   Stockman   Religion:P
Wingrave Frederick   Age:21   Status:GS   Ship:Charlotte 1825   Term:L   Shepherd   Religion:P
NOTE: Frederick Wingrave married the widow of Amos Cowles in Mudgee NSW BDM V1852590 38C/1852 (Phoebe Stirrup alias Elizabeth Harrison) NSW BDM V1852590 38C/1852 (She was married three times)

At Segenhoe, Hunter River
Cole Enoch   Age:22   Status:GS   Ship:Henry 1823   Term:7   Stockeeper   Religion:P

Judith ... Your 1824 find of a William Cole had me searching my records as I recalled that there was a Sarah Cole that married a Isaac Budden who was a cousin to Elijah Budden that married our Harriet Cole .... I'm happy to report that Sarah is not a daughter of your find of a William Cole.

This discussion is getting a little away from the subject of "Eva Cora Budden" I'll await the original Poster (RedWolf0502) to reply before making further comments.

Regards Rob

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 November 15 11:08 GMT (UK) »
It has just dawned on me that you think I am Judith.... no, Judith is a fine RChatter, and she is not me. I am simply an RChatter who is NSW centric.   I sign off as JM ....  :)  :)  :)

:) I think you introduced Enoch Colesby, perhaps as an aside ...
Note that there was a Enoch Colesby (whom he may have met when at Richmond) assigned to somewhere at Windsor. Is this where the name Enoch Cole could have sprung to mind from?
Rob

Anyways, regardless,  I did find an Enoch COLESLEY which I have at the minute presumed would be the Enoch COLESBY you mentioned .... but  :)  :)  :)

If you check back you will see that I did not select three chaps at random who were working for Thorsby, but that I was at the Colonial Secretary's copy of the 1824 Muster, for the Liverpool district and that I was looking at the alphabetical list prepared by the Col Sec's admin staff from the initial muster documents prepared by the local officials at Liverpool, likely in chronological order as each person approached the officers conducting the actual physical muster..... .  And so I noticed the three at Thorsby's clearing party with surnames commencing with "C" and I simply typed up those three in the same sequence as on the image.   Mr Thorsby probably had others with surnames starting with a different letter of the alphabet.

But as Eva Cora BUDDEN's connection Frederick BUDDEN and so to Harriet COLE is already noted in this thread and as Harriet is the daughter of Amos and Phoebe COLE I have simply provided some info about Amos to support your posts.

The 1824 muster is likely currently available via a partnership arrangement between NSW State Records and the commercial website, Ancestry.    :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 November 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
So, from my offline resources,

Sept 1825, Enoch COLESBY, ex the Shipley of 1833 (typo, edit to read 1822, sorry), an Assigned Servant to Charles BEASLEY of Windsor

1831Enoch COLESBY received ToL 31/0691, tried Warwick Assizes, ex Shipley of 1822…. allowed to remain Windsor district. See SRNSW reel 915.

9 April 1849 Enoch COLESBY, a Bachelor married Mary GLEED a Widow,  by Banns, registered St Matthews C of E, Windsor, married with consent of all concerned by Rev Henry T STILES.   Witness Joseph SUFFOLK, of Windsor and Ellen SUFFOLK of Windsor.   Bride, Groom and Joseph SUFFOLK all signed.  Ellen SUFFOLK made her mark.

Cheers,  JM