Author Topic: 1841, 1851 census lookup  (Read 12077 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 census lookup
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 17 July 14 08:41 BST (UK) »
Did you get a copy of the death certificate for Thomas Walters ? what bugs me is where are they in 1861 census ....If that is Jane working as a cook in Liverpool maybe that is how the boys are with relatives ....Was there an age for George Fishley on the grave stone as I am not having much luck this end ....What year was he running the Hotel so we can work out when they arrived in Australia ?
Rosie

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 17 July 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Haven't got the certificate yet, hopefully soon. Unfortunately no age given on the grave for George or Jane, but he definitely advertised in The Brisbane Courier that he applied for the hotel license on 17 March 1865. I've tried to find them on a passenger list but no luck so far. George's death registration does say his mother's name is Rosette, unfortunately no father's name.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 17 July 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
of course, I've just done a check and found a George Hugh Fishley born in Jamaica 1806 (F: George, M: Margaret) and a George Hugh Fishley who had a few children with a Rosetta in Jamaica in the 1820-1830s (though no Georges as far as I can see). Also looks like  a George Hugh Fishley who also owned quite a few slaves in Jamaica. And a George Fishley b 1826 in Jamaica who was in the UK merchant navy 1845-1854. Nothing's ever straight forward in family history!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy   I also looked at that and thought hmmm maybe we should look further in to this ? ..Oh they don't make it easy  ??? ???

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 21 July 14 13:01 BST (UK) »

Found out Thomas Mortimer Walters who died in 1844 was 38 yrs old, so born c1806, a fair bet he was Jane's husband. (Also fits with Thomas and Fanny's Thomas b 1806 - I think I will go back to try to find out more about them.)

So I guess Thomas and Jane marry in 1838 in Liverpool, Thomas jnr is born in 1840 in Newcastle upon Tyne, they are in Sheffield in 1841 (maybe), Horatio is born in Chorlton in 1842, and Thomas dies in 1844 in Chorlton. In 1851, Jane is (maybe) a cook in Liverpool, Thomas is with his aunt in Bilston and Horatio is with his uncle in Liverpool. Jane gets married again in 1860 in Liverpool to George Fishley who's a crew man on the Wansfell. Maybe Horatio is at sea in 1861. Can't find any reference to Jane, George (maybe at sea) or Thomas in 1861, but somewhere between 1860 and 1864 Jane, George and Thomas all go to Australia, although probably not together as Thomas seems to be alone on the passenger list for the Wansfell in 1863. Phew! Thank you so much - that's a lot more than I knew a few weeks ago.

I also stumbled across a reference to a Valentin Walters b 1752 in Aylsham - I have no idea how common the name was, but would be about the right age to marry Mary and have those children including Thomas in 1785, although Norfolk is a bit of a way from Middlesex (again geography not my strength).

Thanks again for all your help Rosie!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 21 July 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
That's great news Maddy all fitting into place now just need to find them in 1861 census yes I also seen that record for Valentine ...Wonder where the Mortimer fits in will keep looking  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 25 August 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Still not sure if it's the right family, but have found out that a Valentine Walters married Mary Mortimer in 1774 at Gloucester, just the right time to have their bunch of children at Middlesex: William Mortimer and Thomas et al. I really don't know how much families travelled around in those times? Is it likely to marry in Gloucester and have a family in Middlesex, then one of the sons move to Staffordshire? (My Essex ancestors seem a lot more stable and stationary!). Nice coincidence in names though ... I'll keep hunting :)

Offline MeredithW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maddy - I am a descendant of Jane McMaster, thru her son Thomas Mortimer Walters, who married Jane Reed (Rieid) in Rockahampton. Growing up in melbourne, Ann Walters, 5th? child of thomas and Ann was my great aunt. I now believe she was my grandmother.
I have read a few of your posts, but have not found your interest in the Walters family. The house Jane lived in at Bald Hills (in her later years) still stands, with recent additions. their house in Sandgate was demolished in the 1910s? (cant remember the year).

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 28 January 16 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meredith, welcome to rootschat cousin!

I'm also related to Ann Reid and Thomas Mortimer Walters through their son George Hugh who moved to Sydney and was my g grandfather. I am actually in the process of writing up my research at the moment and would love to compare notes.

If you make a couple more posts I can send you a personal message.  :D