Author Topic: Shadford, Essex (?)  (Read 7127 times)

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shadford, Essex (?)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 21:27 BST (UK) »
Update and success!
Charles Hilton's birth certificate arrived today.

Charles Hilton, born 28th April 1849, Chapel Street, Stratford.

Father Charles Hilton, Printer

Mother Sarah Hilton formerly ?? It looks like Innous, not a name I have ever seen  before. I will try to find a scanner later this week and scan it in for your thoughts.

So...if we accept that my GGGrandfather is the only Charles Hilton son of Charles Hilton, printer, born in 1849 in Essex - and the chances are good I think, then Valda's census entry of 1881 is also his family - they have not even moved house!

Charles' siblings, Arthur, Emma and Annie's names were all repeated in his own children too.

So my GGGGrandfather, also Charles Hilton, came from Tamworth Staffordshire, where I lived as a child. I cannot wait to find out more about him!

I am so thrilled, I simply cannot tell you how thrilled.

Donna, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me about Stratford, and Valda, thank you again, very much indeed, for finding my missing family.

Very best wishes

Louise

Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline donna-paul

• RootsChat Senior
  • just luvvin' tree huggin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 November 05 01:23 GMT (UK) »
glad to be of help hunni

;D

donna
baldwin- west ham
brookes- west ham
burrell- hornchurch/romford
camp- west ham
davis- west ham, romford
fraas- london
harvey- surrey/london
gilbert - west ham/london
parry - london
rogers- west ham/london
singer- london/kent ?
webb- surrey/london

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Just to give you a bit of icing on the cake (and this is the only Charles Hilton in Essex in 1851 apart from his father and somebody born in the 1820s).

HO107 1768 folio 153
25 Chapel Street West Ham  Essex
Charles Hilton 28 Tamworth, Staffordshire, Head  Married Silk Printer
Sarah Hilton 29 Stratford, Essex,  Wife  Married
Eliza Hilton 5  Stratford, Essex, Daughter   
Arther Hilton 4  Stratford, Essex, Son 
Charles Hilton 1 Stratford, Essex, Son   
Elizabeth Innous 53  Stratford, Essex,  Mother-in-law  Widow at home
Mary Innous 25 Stratford, Essex,  Unmarried Dressmaker
Alfred Innous 16  Stratford, Essex,   Labourer

Clearly written as Innous

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Valda,

That is icing indeed

Thank you very much

It is great to see Charles Hilton on the 1851 census, especially given the paucity of his returns in later life.

I am delighted to have confirmed Sarah's maiden name and now have a mother and presumably brother and sister to add to the tree, which should help track her down in her own earlier life.

Thank you for a wonderful find

Louise
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I can't see anything on the IGI for Innous in Stratford. I would contact Newham local archives with the information you've got on the family. From my memory of some years ago they were very good and had an index of local parish records (indexed and transcribed).

http://www.newham.gov.uk/content/Leisure/archives_local_studies_library.jsp

Charles Hilton on the otherhand is possibly on the IGI

CHARLES HILTON 
Christening:  25 DEC 1823   Tamworth, Stafford
Father:  SAMUEL HILTON 
Mother:  ANNE 

Plus siblings which I'll leave for you to go through with the batch numbers
Their  parents' marriage would appear to be this one

SAMUEL HILTON 
Spouse:  ANN FROST 
Marriage:  13 APR 1823   Tamworth, Stafford

Samuel and Ann are likely to be this couple on the 1851 census

HO 107 2013 folio 209
Lichfield Street Tamworth  Warwickshire   
Samuel Hilton 49  Tamworth, Staffordshire, Head Married Coal Carman (late Punb?)
Ann Hilton 49 Tamworth, Staffordshire,  Wife Married

You need to confirm this one way or another with Charles Hilton junior's marriage information. Knowing the tortous nature of some of your ancestral lines this all seems a bit to straightforward so at the very least you need Charles junior's marriage information (I can't see the marriage on FreeBMD). Coal carman to fathering a silk printer also doesn't seem quite right.
In all there are 23 Hiltons born Tamworth on the 1851 census. On the same census there are only 12 people with the surname Innous in the whole country all born West Ham, Stratford, Leyton or Walthamstow (bearing in mind with a surname this rare some are bound to be mispelt). The present Office of National Statistics database reckons there are only 6 left and ranks the name as the 203,151 most popular surname in the country (they don't count any surnames of 5 or fewer people), so they don't come any rarer. On that principle by researching them you will probably end up with the equivalent of a one name study whether you plan to do that or not.
In fact Innous is so rare it is possibly a localised mispelling of a surname like Innes (the IGI clumps them together) - in which case a one namer should tackle all the spelling variations! - there are a lot more Inneses on the census

Regards
Valda

Regards
Valda

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Valda

Thanks for this

I had already decided on Samuel and Ann as the parents of Charles senior.

Charles junior was married in Athlone, Ireland to Catherine Brady, I have their marriage certificate. I think I mentioned it in this thread, or another thread, before. Her father was a hairdresser and perfumerer, ring any bells? His father was a printer.

I am absolutely happy that the family you have found is my family. For once a tiny little bit of my family has run straight to plan. Thanks for the marriage and in particular the census.

Thanks for the tips on the Innous line. I will definitely be in touch with Newham

Best wishes

Louise

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I was trying to say you still need Charles Hilton senior and Sarah Innous' marriage certificate (Newham may have it in their registers) - sorry slip of the typing and tiredness when I typed junior I was refering to what I had written about Charles senior and his potential parents. To confirm the Samuel and Ann of the census you need to find Charles the silk printer's father's name and occupation - coal carman/coal dealer/labourer from the censuses, to the silk printer of his son's occupation isn't necessarily a natural link. Peter Hilton a potential sibling is on the 1851 census, a collier in Workhouse Lane Tamworth.

Regards
Valda

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 March 06 20:04 BST (UK) »
hello everyone

My dad's cousin has sent me some great photos of Charles Hilton (born 1849 in Stratford, West Ham) and his wife Catherine Hilton nee Brady that I wanted to share with you.

Now you have been properly introduced!

Best wishes

Louise

Offline Susan55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 May 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
Very spooky. Charles Hilton in my family also. I have a copy of a marriage certificate with witnesses as Sarah and Susannah Innous. Trade says printer and l know it was printing Lino for floors in Stratford. Chapel street was also on the marriage certificate. Could these be the same.
Also an oil painting exists of a Samuel Hilton which was found in the house of a relative, Anne, in Scarborough. It is now with a Hilton relative in Middlesex. I only gave a photo copy of it.