Author Topic: 578 Newcastle Road  (Read 4185 times)

Offline lyrical1953

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
578 Newcastle Road
« on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
I am researching my ancestors in the Stoke on Trent area and have a query regarding my Grt/Grt Aunt who died in 1941 On her death notice it states the address as 578 Newcastle Road, which I now understand was a workhouse. However there is another address listed as her residence. Does this mean she was a patient in the hospital or was she actually an inmate? I know she is buried in Hanley cemetery, sadly there is no headstone to mark her grave. If anyone can help I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 578 Newcastle Road
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 July 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

It's very likely she was being looked after in the hospital part of the WH - you can read about it here

http://www.thepotteries.org/tour/020.htm
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lyrical1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 July 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolew,

Thank you for that link, most informative. When I told my dad she had died in a workhouse he said he did not think it was very likely as the family in Stoke was so large. I know she was a widow and had one living daughter at the time of her death, but whether she lived in the same area I have failed to find out. More research needed me thinks.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Somebody once told me that pre-1948 when the NHS was introduced - people had to pay the GP for visits/treatment.  If somebody was long term ill, it could get very expensive.  Also, poor people would find it difficult to find the money.  The GP could then recommend or suggest they receive treatment in the WH infirmary
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lyrical1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thats just what I wanted to hear, thank you. I know from records that my ancestors were not well off, most were either miners or worked in the potteries. In fact the aunt in question is listed as a potter/ warehouse person in 1911 census. My Dad remembers attending a funeral in Hanley around 1941 but cannot remember any details as he was only about 12 yrs old, but as she was his Dad's half sister it sounds likely it was hers. I have relatives in Staffs and with their help have been able to piece together some sort of family history. Evidently our surname, Sims, was very popular around the Stoke area, during the 70's/early 80's in Ipstones, Kingsley and Foxt. Later the family seemed to settle around Hanley. Thank you so much again for the info.

Offline Jacqui Murtough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 578 Newcastle Road's
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I found this chat today,  and am interested to see what you discovered?  I received my brother's death cert today which states he died at one hour old at 578 Newcastle Rd ud.  I wondered what this hospital was,  as originally I had assumed that it was Longton Village Hospital where he died.  I know the family were not well off as my mum and dad had been de-mobbed at the end of 1945/1946.  My family were all involved in the potteries or coal minings.

Regards
Jacqui

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

You don’t say what year your brother died but 578 Newcastle Rd was shown on birth certs rather than the term “Workhouse”

It was known as The Spittals WH and the name was later changed to the London Rd Hospital & Institution.

In 1945 it became City General. See www.ThePotteries.org

Offline Jacqui Murtough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole W.  He died in 1948
Regards
Jacqui

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 March 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
In fact, some older residents in the Potteries still refer to the hospital as 'London Road'

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett