Author Topic: 1946 baptism register "Conventional District" ?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1946 baptism register "Conventional District" ?
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
I have seen a lot of baptism registers over the years, but this is the first time I have seen this on the page heading. Can anyone shed any light on it please?

Could it be that St Edmund's wasn't a Parish in its own right but the equivalent of what used to be known as a Chapelry (sort of a satellite church within a larger parish) ?

Any info welcomed :-)

Thanks
Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1946 baptism register "Conventional District" ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Conventional District: Where new housing developments make it desirable for parish boundaries
to be re-drawn, part of a parish may be designated a Conventional District. In a Conventional District, a priest-in-charge can be appointed directly by the bishop in place of the incumbent.
http://www.anglican-methodist.org.uk/Glossary0707.pdf

A Conventional District can be established out of an existing parish or parishes by agreement between the bishop, incumbent(s) and patron(s) of the church(es) involved. A cleric is appointed to the district as a 'curate-in-charge', but acts independently of the incumbent of the benefice from which the district is created, and is often styled 'priest-in-charge'.
http://reed.dur.ac.uk/xtf/view?docId=ead/ddr/ddrbioghist.xml#DDR-EA-CLV-t
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1946 baptism register "Conventional District" ?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you JenB :-)

I learn something new everyday - with a lot of help!

Boo