Author Topic: Viewer Applets  (Read 361 times)

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Viewer Applets
« on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
I use the Scotland's People website a lot and have been using the JAVA viewer.  This morning I got a pop-up message saying my JAVA was out of date and to download the latest version.  I did this with no problems until I tried viewing one of my previous searches when a box popped up asking if I wanted to run ViewONE (I don't know what this is) but at the bottom it had a warning saying "running this application may put your computer and personal information at risk".  I obviously don't want that to happen, so declined, but on closing the window I still couldn't view the page I wanted.  Scotland's People say the viewer has nothing to do with them and that I could use a different one.  Any advice would be welcome.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Viewer Applets
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
Viewone is a Java based viewer utility from a company called Daeja who are now part of IBM
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/info/daeja/

It is possible that in updating your viewer you have unintentionally loaded or enabled Viewone (or if its fake you may have been hijacked  ???  )

Personally I prefer the Direct Download method on SP rather than faffing about with different viewers

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Viewer Applets
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 July 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Falkyrn:  I've changed my setting on SP to Direct Download and it was much faster. Don't know what I'd do without RootsChat.