Author Topic: Joseph Crowfoot - Cheshire, England to Springfield, MA in c.1650  (Read 8945 times)

Offline JudythZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Crowfoot - Cheshire, England to Springfield, MA in c.1650
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 October 16 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am not sure if I am descended from Joseph Crowfoot or not, but I am exploring the possibility.  I have reason to believe that Nehemiah Crowfoot, circa 1754 - 1806, was my fourth great grandfather. His son, Samuel CRAWFORD (1782 - 1851), told the 1850 Federal census taker in Broome County NY that he was from MA. All of his children reported that he was born in NY when later censuses were taken.

I cannot find any Nehemiah Crowfoot names as descendants of Joseph Crowfoot.

I do find Nehemiah and Samuel Crawford/Crofut/Croford from the same era in Westchester County, NY however. In fact during the Revolution, there was a Lt. Samuel Crawford killed by British troops in Westchester. 

So, where was Nehemiah Crowfoot from, and who were his parents?  Has anyone else explored this problem?

David B. CRAWFORD

PS In a personal email, a Scottish historian allegedly read that a Joseph Crawford was a Scottish prisoner of Oliver Cromwell's Parliamentary Army, and that he was sentenced to Massachusetts transport for indentured servitude.  That does not fit too well with the history of Joseph Crowfoot from Cheshire.   

Offline taciturn2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 October 16 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hello ATGoldsmith,

Thank you for that wealth of information.  I am new to this site, so am not too adept at navigating it yet.
I wrote a response in this thread, but do not see it now.  It may be on another page.  I am also researching the Joseph Crowfoot that migrated from Cheshire to Massachusetts.  I would like to see the tree you are referencing, but cannot find out how to send a personal message.  When I tried to send one to TerriG, the site said I was not allowed to send a personal message.  I do not know why.  The name of my tree on Ancestry is *DAVID BENN CRAWFORD MD, all caps, an asterisk at the beginning, and spaces as shown. My Ancestry username is davidcrawford395. This is all on the US site, so I hope you can see everything alright.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 October 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Welcome to Rootschat.

The reason you are unable to PM me is that you have to make 2 posts first.  Just make another post here, and then you should be able to message me.

Looking forward to speaking to you.

Terri
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Terri and Judy,

You will be able to send a pm now should you wish, you click on the right round button underneath the profile name  ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJL1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hello All, Im late to the party but would be very interested in trading information about Joseph Crowfoot of Springfield Massachusetts
Joseph was my 8th GGF.  Miraculously Ive recently learned that his son James Crowfoot ( also spelled Crofut ) relocated to Danbury Connecticut very close to my home, within 2 miles.
5 generations of Crofuts starting with James lived in this area starting in c 1700.
James-Josiah-Samuel-Moses Knapp-Hiram

From what information Ive been able to come upon, it seems Josephs lineage starting in England is questionable.
Information I have been able to discover points to a very strong possibility that he was indeed an indentured servant from the Battle of Dunbar in Scotland.

Offline CJL1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 12:18 BST (UK) »
I would be very interested in connecting with anyone that may have any information about his records from England or his passage to America.
Ive read that the surname Crowfoot could be from the Scottish name Crawford and that he was possibly a POW sold into slavery.

Ive also read recently that he immigrated from England at a young age as an indentured servant but that does not seem to add up.

If he was a POW from Scotland from The Battle of Dunbar, he would have been a man of approx 20 years of age at the time of the Ship Unity landing in Boston in 1650, a likely age for a soldier.
His indentured servitude of 5-7 years would have come to term around the same time period he appears in Springfield Massachusetts in 1658.

William Pynchon the founder of Springfield Mass settled the area as a fur trading outpost called Agawam Plantation. Upon losing the original settlers and leaning towards failure, he populated the struggling outpost town with indentured servants that were recently released from the terms of their 5-7 year servitude.
It was this time period exactly in 1658 when Joseph Crowfoot first appears on record.

Offline Barb C

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 August 21 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new to this site and would appreciate any assistance from fellow family tree tracers.

I'm a direct descendant of Joseph Crowfoot and Mary Hillier (my 8th Great Grandparents) and I'm looking for any information on them. 

From the information I have been able to find so far, it would appear that Joseph fought at Turner's Falls in 1676, and that he died in 1678.  Does anyone have any information as to what he died from?  I have also seen reports that Joseph came over as an indentured servant, but I have seen no documentation to prove this.  Does anyone have information on this?

I believe that Mary Hillier was the daughter of John Hillier and Joane "Ann" Escott, and that she was born in Connecticut in 1639, but I don't have any documentation for this.  Does anyone have birth records for Mary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Barb C